Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys TV return for refund - what are my chances / rights.

Options
  • 28-05-2024 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

So I bought a new TV in Currys Letterkenny on Sunday.

Brought it home, unboxed / setup.

Disappointed with it as not bright enough for room even with blinds drawn.

So I'd like to return for full refund. I can fully rebox, have all packaging etc.

Am I legally allowed to do this? I think so, but you hear horror stories re Currys….

Any help / advice appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

If it were faulty then you're entitled to a repair, replacement or refund, and the retailer decides which.

If it's not faulty then you are not entitled to anything. Curry's may still accept it though. No guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/rights-when-buying-in-a-shop/#7952c2

The Curry's site says…

https://www.currys.ie/services/shopping-with-us/returns-refunds.html

So as you opened it you're probably out of luck I'm afraid OP - also if it's bigger than 43"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It might be faulty if it's not bright enough I expect? If the OP can take a photo of it beside the old TV that could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Make sure it's not in some eco, power saving mode as that'll effect the brightness. Likely there's a YouTube video out there on best settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Pedantically speaking: "it's not bright enough in my room" is highly subjective, unfortunately. Maybe that's due to the positioning of the TV within the room rather than the TV and perhaps no TV will appear "bright enough". Maybe it's a bottom of the market TV, and that's all that this price-point can do? What's to stop you returning this and finding that a second TV is also not bright enough and then expecting the retailer to resolve that too? Also in this case it's interesting to note how you are looking for a refund as opposed to trying another TV from the same retailer - does that imply that you just want another TV from a different retailer at a better price? These are all of the things to consider when you're a retailer.

Read up on nits and lumens:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/nits-and-lumens-what-are-they-and-why-are-they-important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Thanks folks for the replies, guess I'm stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

what did you mean “not bright enough”? I’m about to buy a TV so you’re getting me worried now😀

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Not bright enough for the room it's in.

It's in a conservatory so windows all round, but even with the blinds drawn it's not great.

Fine for when it's dark, and not a bad tv - quite good for the money I suppose.

I should've looked more into it's NITS rating etc but was an impulse buy (always a bad idea - I spent months agonising over purchasing an OLED a few years back - and don't regret that research at all).

And never go buy how it seems in store! :-)

-ZB

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

There's actually a special mode for TVs for in store, you could try it but it will shorten the life span.

There's a fair argument there that doing that is misleading to the consumer.

I'd imagine even your OLED would struggle in a conservatory though.

Advertisement