Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtesy car insurance

Options
  • 28-05-2024 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Sorry for the basic question.

My car has a problem -software in an EV - & garage is taking it in to diagnose/repair. Not a breakdown or a service as such.

They are picking up & providing a courtesy car - do I need to contact my insurance to change cover or would it be on the garage insurance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

You need to arrange insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's a main dealer, I'd be confident that they have cover to allow you to drive the car as a loaner. If they're not a main dealer, move your policy over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

My local Kia dealer insisted on insurance change just recently, seems more common than in the past that they now require cover, some ball ache too calling it in, as if done online it can take upto 4 hours to process and confirm

Skoda main dealer wouldn't do it for me. It meant 90 minutes on hold with 123😫

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your experience doesn't mean that all dealers will not do it so I'd question why you unilaterally advised the OP to arrange cover under his own policy.

If a main dealer assured me that his policy covered me, I'd accept that. I had a loaner from Ballsbridge Motors for a week a few years ago, they never asked me to provide insurance cover. So I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Rexell1

Thanks all, as you said @coylemj the main dealer switched over theirs. Didn't want to insist when I wasn't sure of the common procedure. Hopefully it's just for a short while.

Well maybe I should have said ask first. Sometimes people assume these things and your confidence that all main dealers would provide cover was misplaced.

Advertisement