Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School try outs sports teams primary school

• 28-05-2024 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all

Just wondering how your primary school manage school try outs for gaa ,athletics soccer etc .

My daughter is 9 and the school will be doing the try outs soon for be next year 3rd class .She's not the best at sports but absolutely loves it as she isn't academic and has learning difficulties .Would be awful if didn't make it .Is it very competitive or do most kids get a run .she does athletics and rugby outside school and isn't the best but loves it

Post edited by artanevilla on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Moving this from General Sports to Primary & Preschool as it's more active here.

Please note, local charter now applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You'd have to question any school that has 2nd class trying out for school teams. They are far too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭purplefields

If it's GAA or Soccer, then things get very competitive from quite a young age, unfortunately.

I suggest trying other sports, like gymnastics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Again any school that needs 2nd class kids to try out for school teams needs to have a look at themselves. I do sport in my school and I would never ever play a 3rd class kid on a team as they are not physically big enough to play competitive games against older kids. I know smaller schools may need to draft in 3rd class kids to make a team or panel but again there shouldn't be a trying out element.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm in absolute agreement on this. I've trained girls' teams down the years. Any child that came to training always got to be on the team . The point about a 3rd vs 6th in terms of physical size is a big one. Yes,smaller schools may need to go down the ages, but it's certainly not ideal.

A school should be encouraging all children to take part, not cutting them off. I work as a support teacher and "my" children were always brought along to training from an early age. They often struggled with self esteem due to their additional needs so sport was a way for them to shine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement