Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin turning off SMTP relay- smtp.upcmail.ie

Options
  • 28-05-2024 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

someone who I help with there email has not been able to send email for over a week. they use @eircom.net paid, they have used the same email for 25 years. I have told them years ago to migrate from it but they have not fully.

after calling virgin a number of time today I was told they have switched off the their SMTP relay and with eircom not allowing people to send email even if they pay for email now they have no way to send email from there @eircom.net account.

has anyone else heard the same thing from Virgin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I came across it on Monday alright, a client was using smtp.upcmail.ie on their scanner to send scans via e-mail and it had stopped working. I've heard of using Gmail's SMTP to get around it but never tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're paying for eircom.net mail, can you use their SMTP service by authenticating to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

They don't support authentication for smtp (outgoing) server - its only available on port 25 which is only available for Eir broadband customers

https://www.eir.ie/helpandsupport/webmail/help/ — under the External client setting (Outlook/WindowsMail/AppleMail) heading

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭feelings

Using Gmail's SMTP server is easy enough to set up, once you have a gmail account. Lots of tutorials online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just came across this - had this issue a couple of times (i mainly use the account in question through the webmail portal) and had assumed it was just a temporary glitch at the time.

does google's SMTP relay allow non-google email addresses to use it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement