Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He’s dead Jim - Star Trek the Original Series rewatch

Options
  • 28-05-2024 6:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭

2 episodes in and IT IS CLASS!!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I've been threatening myself with a rewatch for a while now, so I might join you on this expedition … journey … voyage … tour … trip … … … Trek! 😋

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Join me. Friend. We can go, together. On a voyage of discovery.

That’s my best Kirk impression

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

episode 4. They’re onto another uniform. This one looks knitted. I don’t remember this.

Haven’t seen Scottie yet. Or Checkov or Zulu.

Spock’s Ma isn’t human.

I have no memory of this!

they/them/theirs

ah here are Scottie and Zulu.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Did you not know uniforms were knitted on the United Earth spaceship Enterprise ?

Probably not if you don't know Sulu's name 🤣

But being serious TOS is absolutely all over the place with "canon" and most of what we think of as TOS staples were not actually set in stone until the movies.

Even the "main crew" outside of Kirk, Spock and McCoy are barely more fleshed out than the Disco crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭eadrom

which one are you seeing as episode 4? The sequence is sometimes a bit different.

What’s usually episode 3, “Where No Man Has Gone Before”, was actually the first episode produced and the uniforms and a few other things are a little different in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I assume it's Netflix where that is episode 4.

It's amazing how one of the most enduring settings in Star Trek shows up as far back as s1e6

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

It’s on Netflix. I haven’t watched it in 30 years. But I love it

they/them/theirs

It's true that TOS was a little loose in the canon department, but in terms of world building, it seems to have done more in a handful of episodes than what Discovery did in five seasons....so I'll be kind to it for what it did do, which was lay the groundwork for what came next (the golden era.)

TOS has far more episodes too though. 79 in three seasons of TOS to Discovery’s 50 overall.

And every one of them it’s own little adventure.

Indeed, but you'd expect a show that's almost a half a century ahead of its predecessor to be able to handle storytelling better than it did. So while it had fewer episodes, it absolutely squandered what it did have, and by most measures of the fan base, it couldn't end quick enough.

Actually I don't think I'm right anyway. Other seasons of Discovery were longer… 65 overall.

And yeah, comparatively nothing to remember. No arguments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Great memories of watching this in the late 70s as a kid - I distinctly still remember seen the Tribbles for the first time back then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@Brian? Haven’t seen Scottie yet. Or Checkov or Zulu.

If I remember correctly, Chekov doesn't show up until season 2.

The initial episodes were all over the place. As others have mentioned "Where no man…" was actually the second pilot episode (after "The Cage"), so was filmed before any of the other episodes, but is classed as Episode 3 in the running order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This is hands-down my favourite Trek Show. It was the one I watched first, even though as a kid in the 90s that meant having to buy it, vhs tape by vhs tape, two episodes at a time.

It's got such heart.

Shatner used to get some grief for being a bit hammy but I think he's a genuinely decent actor (compared to say, Avery Brooks, who I love but is a ferocious over-actor).

The relationship dynamics, the Holy Trinity, the incredible world-building, the glorious 60s effects (I still refuse to watch the touched up versions) and the unique lighting and visual style...

It's iconic, it's fun, it's glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Star Trek II and Star III are both in the Cinema over the next two weekends. I posted about it in the General thread.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Star Trek II saved the film franchise, the first one was… dull.

• Advertisement

KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!

I’d love to see it in the pictures but don’t live in Ireland anymore.

they/them/theirs

When ST:TMP was new, when I went to see it in the theatre with a few friends, the coming attractions were for 'The Empire Strikes Back!" featuring the chase through the asteroid belt, and various exciting things.

After "The Motion Sickness" was over, one of my friends said, "Those coming attractions really wrecked The Motion Picture." It really looked dull in comparison. I remember saying, "Those coming attractions were like throwing blood to sharks!"

Ms

Well I have seen TMP hundreds of times including in the IFI Cinema in Dublin once and love it. It's the most Star Trek of all the Original films. Its looks fabulous. I do not find it boring at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I also enjoy TMP. I don't tend to compare it with Star Wars, it's a very different vibe. It's definitely got an experimental feel to it, rather than a fleshed out and highly polished film like Star Wars.

Wrath of Khan went on to set the standard going forward, but every few years I'll put on TMP...its like it's own journey. That 1701 Refit sequence is every bit as outstanding as it was on release, pinnacle of miniature making and filming, and really brought the Enterprise into the movie as a 'character' itself.

Ms

Maybe it's on in a cinema or theater near you. It's not just an Ireland thing it's because it's TWOKs 40th anniversery.

Awe that's a pity. Maybe you would enjoy it in the Cinema more now. As we get older we tend to look at things differently.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

they/them/theirs

Ms

That was so worth it just for the scale of the Enterprise on the big screen alone and she just looks stunning. I still think there is problems with TWOK like when Chekov and the Captain are on Ceti Alpha 5 and Khan's gang corner them why did they not just get the Reliant to beam then up or even better yet Chokov should have said it inside the shelter. Of course then we would not get the excellent film it is.

Also when ye watch the episode with Khan " Space Seed" can ye confirm that Chekov is not there in it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Also when ye watch the episode with Khan " Space Seed" can ye confirm that Chekov is not there in it?

He definitely wasn't in the episode. Chekov wasn't in the first season of Star Trek at all, he was added in season 2.

But it's still possible the character was on the ship, just not on the bridge or on screen, during Space Seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hands down, my favourite TV programme of any genre. Ever. I know what the characters are going to say before they say it because I've watched them so many times!

• Advertisement
    Ms

But it's still possible the character was on the ship, just not on the bridge or on screen, during Space Seed.

Yes he must have been there somewhere for Khan to know of him and not forget his face.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement