Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a Spitfire back on the road

Options
  • 28-05-2024 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭

Inherited this 77 1500… I think it had a bunch of welding done 20 years ago and has been in storage since. At some point it stopped running.. or rather could be made to start but if you let it idle it would conk out.

It had a lot of bodywork done. New carbs, brake cylinders etc… and some effort was made to get started on refurbishing the seats although that doesn’t seem to have been finished.

I imagine I have a fair bit of stuff to do in order to get it out of what is in effect long term storage before I find someone to ship it off to in order to get that engine running properly. The. I get going on the aesthetics.

Where do I even start ? I am an electronics/IT guy but mechanically I am pretty useless but and will have to get better fast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably get the engine going first. At least you can move it around easily and encourage doing the rest. Not running cold be bad fuel. Dirty filter or tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Nice car to inherit. Best of luck with it. You’ll be able to get a Haynes manual for this pretty easily which will be a big help.
    The petrol is probably 20 plus years old so needs to be drained. My old mechanic had a bottle and fuel line he Jerry rigged up to bypass bad fuel to get a car going.
    New battery probably needed too.
    Upgrade the points to electronic ignition from the likes of Simon BBC online will make a big difference.
    Brake fluid will need to be changed and tyres too (due to age) when you get it rolling

Thanks for sharing here and keep posting. We love a project car here!

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Join the Original Irish Triumph Database on Facebook. Lots of knowledge there and they'll be happy to see an Irish reg Spitfire

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

If you are in the Dublin area I can give you a hand and give it a once over. I restored an original Dublin 1500 2 years ago. I couldn't keep it though as I could not physically fit comfortably in the car. My head was above the windscreen when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

… I watched an early wheeler dealer where they restored a similar car and Ed China had to wear driving goggles and do the test drive with his head sticking out over the top of the screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Advertisement