Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own a property but my management agent rented my house without my consent under HAP scheme

Options
2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

To my knowledge this is just a withholding tax and has to be settled at the end of the Irish tax year to the same as calculated previously ( ~50% worst case)

What is a Non Resident Landlord?

You are classified as a non resident landlord if you rent out property in Ireland but live/reside in another country (including Northern Ireland). Any rental income you earn from these properties while you are living abroad is subject to the same taxation as that of Irish-resident landlords.

There are particular rules for non resident landlords including the appointment of a Collection Agent that specify how rental income tax can be paid. It’s important that you understand these, as non-compliance can have serious repercussions for both non resident landlords and the tenants renting their properties.

How Do I Pay Tax as a Non Resident Landlord?

Non resident landlords have two different options when it comes to collecting rent and paying tax on those earnings.

You can nominate an Irish-resident “collection agent” such as Tax Return Plus to manage your Irish tax filing.

Your tenants can withhold the rental income tax rate (20%) of their rent and pay this directly to the Revenue Commissioners on your behalf. You will then claim this as a credit when you file your income tax return.

Regardless of your course of action here, it’s important to remember that your taxes must be filed and paid by October 31 of each year.

https://www.taxreturnplus.ie/tax-return-guides/non-resident-landlord-guide-irish-tax-returns

Advertisement