Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome hotels for first time visiting

Options
  • 29-05-2024 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

So the family want to do a city break to Rome. Never been and looking online there is vast amounts of info but nothing standing out for first timers.

Anyone got any experience to share with where to stay, probably end of August?

Central area with access to the major sites etc?

Personally I would prefer a beach holiday but I'm in the minority 😅

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Rome in August is hot! Very hot. It's also the time locals go in holiday, so some shops and restaurants will be closed. Tbh, any hotel around the center will suit you fine. Everyone walks miles and miles in Rome. Expect to do 30,000 steps a day!

It's beautiful though.

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Rome is very walkable and has a decent metro system. I stayed out towards Vatican and took Metro into centre (AC Hotel - part of Marriott group) - I travelled to Rome a few times and wanted to stay in a chain hotel so I knew what I was getting.

Its an amazing place to visit and easy day trip down to Naples to see Pompeii & Herculaneum - just watch for pickpockets (big time!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And watch out for the taxi men, some serious conmen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Don’t know how many are travelling but would you consider AirB&B, we used it our last two trips, hotels the previous two. As mentioned do not underestimate the heat in August especially if you’ve kids, it will be somewhere between really uncomfortable & insufferable & personally I wouldn’t visit at that time, I’d choose May or October

I can’t recommend a hotel but if you can stay close to the Pantheon, it’s a great area, short walking distance to Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi, Spanish steps, Colosseum & Vatican a bit further maybe 30 minutes on foot, it’s a great city to walk around

I can’t remember exact details but it’s hard enough to get guided tour tickets of the Colosseum, they sell out really quickly 3 months out ( from memory) see the Rome forum on tripadvisor there is a sticky on buying tickets

Our last visit was early June 22 & we were glad to get away to Verona afterwards to escape the heat, we figured out after day 1 to start early morning, take a break back to the apartment 12-3 & back out in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Rome will be absolutely mobbed with tourists in august. Better to go there in febuary or march. Public transport is not great. Be careful crossing the road .red lights mean nothing to drivers in Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

I've been multiple times but never in August. Usually I stay up around the area south of Termini as it's generally cheaper and it's where you'll probably be arriving at from the airport. There's loads of hotels with breakfast included around that area and you're only a 20 min walk from the Colosseum and Roman forum, 25 minutes to the Trevi fountain and about 35 to the Pantheon.

If the family are wrecking your head you could take the metro/train out to the beach at Ostia from Termini too. I've also used Termini area for catching the train to Naples and onto Pompeii. The abandoned city of Ostia is also a fab visit but I'm not going to tell what you should go see as every time I go there I come back with a longer list of stuff I want to see.

My top 3 for a first time visitor would be Forum, Colosseum, and Pantheon. The whole Vatican, Trevi and Spanish steps are closer in era to us than they are to Rome at its zenith.

One warning though it will be thronged with tourists like yourself, which is another reason I prefer up around Termini.

The national Roman museum and Dioclecsion baths are beside Termini too so if you need an indoor aircon day to cool down they can be visited on one ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Discod

Near Pantheon and Piazza Navona Area, historical side of the city, check below the hotels

https://romecitynow.com/pantheon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I stayed by the railway station. Could walk everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Trastevere is my favourite place to stay.

Advertisement