Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI and Maternity cover.

Options
  • 29-05-2024 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Have a VHI policy for years. I have no kids and at this stage wont be having kids. So having maternity and baby cover is pointless.

Does any one know is there any where or any company that has a policy with no maternity cover?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From the FAQ on hia.ie …..

Is maternity cover included in my policy?

Yes. Maternity cover is included in all health insurance policies.

I think this is an extension of the principle of 'community rating', it spreads the medical expenses involved with childbirth across the whole population.

Click the link below and scroll down to 'Maternity and Fertility'…..

https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/faq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Are you thinking that if you remove this, you'll make a saving on the cost of the policy? Because it doesn't work like that. If you need to save money on the policy, then shop around for others that are available that cover what you want but are cheaper. Does it really cause any bother by it being in the policy if you never use it? I mean there's cover for vasectomy in mine but as a woman I'm really unlikely to ever need it. I'm not doing anything about it though coz that seems a bit too much effort for something that isn't affecting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Thanks for the comments. Seems a little pointless having it but it looks like its included any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ruddy1987

its a requirement on all plans to have maternity cover. This is the way the legislation is set up, all plans need certain minimum cover levels including maternity.

As another poster said if you are looking to save money you should look to what’s important to you (bed type in hospital, out patient coverage) and get a plan that aligns with your needs. There will always be items on a plan you don’t need but the key is getting a plan that suites your needs best.

Advertisement