Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery 5x10 'Life, Itself' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 30-05-2024 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Star Trek: Discovery 5x10 'Life, Itself' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see that this episodes runtime is 1hour and 25 minutes 34 seconds. Almost a mini film so.

Well there is some cool parts to it.

Still the same predictable result do. Hero Micheal comes through again.

I hate the Discovery Shuttles, so much room but nothing on it why just stupid and Discovery itself is useless too. Seems like it can not take a beating at all and it's shields fail in no time.

I will just say if you find the first part boring skip to 45, 46 minutes in and it gets exciting. This could be good. Still watching :)

So The shuttle 1 hour and 12 in looks like something out of The Orville.

Actually the ending was not too bad and Iam sure it will bring a tear to some people eyes but not mine not today anyway. I however did not watch near enough any of Season 4.

Maybe someone can explain to me why Micheal done that at the end and why they de registered a letter on tge Discovery? In fact it looks like its back in its originally configuration. Also how does she get back is there a ship or a shuttle waiting for her lol? Not explained.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭pah

That was absolutely painful, thank God for the right arrow 10sec skip.

Thanks Discovery, I enjoyed maybe 10% of your offering but you won't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Very poor, and the whispering was out of control this episode. I know the addendum was tacked on last minute, would have been better off without. Completely unearned emotional beats towards the end and entirely unsatisfying. So a pretty decent summation of Discovery overall for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Haven't seen it yet but have already heard enough big spoilers to know I am right that this shows lack of confidence in itself is a huge problem.

Big and small callbacks again mostly twisting and spoiling previous shows stories in an attempt to look like they actually know Star Trek. Christ just leave the call backs to Lower Decks and SNW which are literally nostalgia based shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Maybe someone can explain to me why Micheal done that at the end and why they de registered a letter on tge Discovery? In fact it looks like its back in its originally configuration. Also how does she get back is there a ship or a shuttle waiting for her lol? Not explained.

They're tidying up that short Trek from years ago. Honestly they would have been better off forgetting about it.

• Advertisement

Discovery fans were obsessed with how it was going to tie into Short Treks.

But Short Treks was never intended to be anything more than fun stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭eadrom

First hour was bad. The rest was unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That last 30 minutes was so painful, compare it to the TNG finale and poles apart

And yet again the whole season was for nothing but for Burnham to decide nah throw it back against orders and she is praised

In fairness they didn't know it was to be a finale.

• Advertisement

Oh god no. The season was terrible (well the tiny bit I watched) and it absolutely ruined any potential for someone competent to come some day and do a good story about the Breen or The Chase.

Last few seasons of Star Trek we have gotten crap Breen, crap Borg, crap Founders, crap Kirk and more crap Borg.

Any chance these shows can just make some new characters and bad guys and do their own stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Life%2C_Itself_%28episode%29

Still have yet to watch the last 30 mins or so!

Just finished it and for memberberries we get: -

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Daniels_%28Crewman%29

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just a shout out to all those who spent time watching this so I didnt have to.

Cheers for keeping me informed throughout the season.

All Eyes On Rafah

Aww you missed solving the hardest puzzle for 3 year olds (actually I think a three year old could have solved it in 5 secs)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭eadrom

Jesus, I was going to say. The plastic triangle puzzle — ffs, no joke but I think my 2 year old nephew has that game.

"Every clue has prepared us for this… one last clue… 'the one between the many'…"

It's make a bigger triangle out of the smaller little plastic triangles!! AARRRGGGHH. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

It is to tie in with a Star Trek shory Calipso.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

This was so dumb. But marginally having feelings save the day. Anyone else find it odd Culver was joined with a trill for a few hours. Adrina is joined to one, and they never bring up any of the other hosts memories or knowlege.

The mentors bit from Tilly I guess lets the Disco crew show up on Star Fleet Acadamey : The Show No One Wants.

The Daniels stuff was dumb. Why has he got Geordis VISOR. The Sisko will not be happy someone has stolen his baseball. He is non linear now.

The Pregenerators stuff was dumb. We just found this stuff. We have only figured out cloning.

The ending, Jesus. How many were there? Maybe six endings. This isn't Lord of The **** Rings. Awful all whispered. We had maybe three seconds of Demeter and the pilot whos name I still do not know. No Nielson. It also looks like they used a body double for Culver.

The Calypso tie in. Not intrested. How many people have seen Star Trek Shorts.

Now for the good. These are the Voyages…. is no longer the worst Star Trek finale. Mol got injured and was not happy. I don't have to watch this show any longer. I thought it would get better. I am a fool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That was hilariously bad. Mol IQ dropped a million points by failing that puzzle. It's the type of thing that's so bad, I would have expected someone to have called it that when they read the script. But no.

It was the perfect Discovery finale - non sensical, overly emotional (at least attempted), cop out ending, terrible dialouge - sums up the series perfectly. I won't miss 95% of the cast or setting - If I never see Tilly, Stamets, Adira or (insert those crew members you don't really know) again, it will be too soon. Can forgive how they ended it as they found out super late that it wasn't being renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Tripe plain and simple. Discoverys only shining light it gifted us SNW.

That ending was a joke a call back to a short story come on.

A nonsense ending to a nonsense season. Won't be needing a rewatch.

At one stage Moll is shocked the corridor goes on forever and Burnham says its impossible.

Ah Trek has TARDIS tech in the 32nd century and a holodeck can do the same.

It was so incredibly Discovery to make Burnham the only one worthy of the greatest technology ever.

And that baseball is too clean to be Sisko's. Daniels got duped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Could picture the progenitor's reaction "WHAT THE F**K!?!?! I didn't mean to throw it into a black hole!"

Well, that's that.

And if I learned anything from watching Stargate and other shows, being that close to a black hole would distort time.

It took me to the final episode, but I only realised that the pattern buffers are how they make the weapons magically appear.

I will say they cast her mum well using Sonja Sohn. There were times at the end that I thought it was her and not Sonequa.

So where was the rest of the crew at the end since she said that she and the crew would leave? Yet she seemed to be the only one there when she said her line.

Stole this from somewhere else but it sums up my feelings on the creative bankruptcy in Trek right now.

"Imagine if when "All Good Things" came out 30 years ago, the most exciting part of the episode was that Q revealed he was really Trelane."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭paulbok

What a load of tosh, though I was watching the staircase scene at the end of Titanic.

All that effort to find the powered of life and then just chuck it onto a black hole? And that final red directive for the ship just smells of setting up a sequel down the line.

These new Star Trek shows are getting really good at ignoring major hanging plot lines from season to season, no mention of the extra-galactic life from from the end of S4.

Like Picard did in the final season, ignoring the Jurati Borg* and the mysterious wormhole or whatever it was. * Especially daft when the final season ended up with a, ahem, Borg problem?

With some ponderings of DISCO as a whole - they took so much Trek lore, put it through a shredder and randomly stuck it all back together as the basis for stories - starting from the redo of Klingons and Spock having a sister to the ending with the Progenitors. They really did desecrate a lot of what came before while trying to using as fan service.

Did the producers not say once they time jumped it would give them so much breadth to tell different stories that hadn't been written and were not tied to previous Trek so no issues with canon and then promptly relied on that lore for the rest of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They jumped forward centuries and still had to dig back to the Breen and Progenitors to anchor a season. No inspiration, fan fiction on a bigger budget.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

First it was "too dark" thematically so they tried to bludgeon in some inspirational Roddenberry style stuff.

Then they run scared from the "canon" people off to the 32nd century, since that time they have chickened out of showing a single Klingon for fear of the angry Twitter fans.

And then when left insecure by the praise heaped on Lower Decks they try desperately to prove they "know Trek" by filling every inch background with an Easter egg and mining old shows for plots.

If they just stuck to their guns and did their own show I probably still wouldn't like it but at least I would have some respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Sweet baby Jebus, but that was an absolute drag of an episode. I didn't feel any of the action was "exciting" or "tense". I just couldn't wait for it to be all over, so I can never have to look at it again!

The only thing I got a laugh out of, and this was just me remembering a very old one-liner, was when the progenitor shows up … "I just met God … and she was black!"

I get that they had it filmed before they knew it was the end, so they tacked on that last bit. I also don't recall the short trek story about the Disco refit, but maybe I mis-saw something … When old Burnham approaches the ship, we see the letter A being etched onto the hull, right? When Burnham pulls out of space dock, there was no A that I could see … but as I say, maybe I mis-saw. Please don't make me go back and watch it! … Please!!!!

<Edit to add> I started my TOS re-watch last night, with The Cage and I was much more entertained watching that for the, perhaps, 7th or 8th time, than I was with that shyte this morning.

Yes they got rid of the A and made the ship look 23rd century to fit with Calypso.

When you say "only thing you got a laugh out of" were you not in stitches for the totally unnecessary slow-mo tackle when the Breen hit Burnham 🤣. It's Battlefield Earth level bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@breezy1985 Yes they got rid of the A and made the ship look 23rd century to fit with Calypso.

Oh! So Disco has been the refit "A" for the last couple of seasons and at the end of this episode, they were removing the "A" from the hull? I thought it was a continuity error at the end! 👀

Advertisement