Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery 5x10 'Life, Itself' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

When old Burnham approaches the ship, we see the letter A being etched onto the hull, right? When Burnham pulls out of space dock, there was no A that I could see.

I thought that too at first but the A was being taken off it and it was put back in its originally 23rd Century configuration. Utterly stupid. It's like trying turning a mk 5 Golf into a mk8 and then turning it back to a MK 5. It just can not be done and this sums up what an absolute mess that Discovery was.

Please don't make me go back and watch it! … Please!!!!

I demand you go back and watch it now only joking. Even I am not that cruel.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Etched off of the hull

It has been "A" since season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Couldn't remember much about Calypso apart from Craft and Zora developing feelings of each other. So just read a summary it is really stupid. Like why is it so important that that event should happen other than the makers not planning things out and making a throwaway short? Like they had to revert Discovery back to looking like it did in the short simply because they hadn't planned that far ahead. There's no other reason.

I hope they at least removed the spore drive after leaving it otherwise anyone could stumble across it and steal the technology they were so protective of.

They could just ignore the short which was the original plan except for the fact they are terrified of fan reaction.

It's also really fuking sick that after establishing Zora as sentient they send her off to hide for 1000 years and lose her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Jesus Christ. That was worse than I could possibly have imagined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭pah

That fukin slomo hurricane mario bros jump she did back out of the rainy planet FML what a load of poo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't even realise that this show was finally over until a YouTube suggestion this evening.

Having read this thread it seems that they didn't manage a Picard season 3 recovery anyway.

I gave up after the disaster that was the season 2 finale - Burnham is Space Jesus, Spock reached out to Kirk and McCoy because of his "sister", everyone just agrees to never speak of the mushroom powered starship with its crew of 21st century millennials, and pew pew only outmatched by the tears and emotional outbursts.

My apologies, sympathies, and thanks to those of you who kept the rest of us posted over the last few years. The needs of the many and all that.

I like to think that we.... WE (internal monologue) are the true heroes here (with "brave smile" ™ ).

Nah, it was awful. I enjoyed the first season quite a bit and the second. And defended it here. But it just turned into poor fanfiction. Really bad wish fulfilment to the detriment of anything outside of Burnham. Was really not a good show after season 2... at all. And I put it totally down to the showrunners. Each actor involved is actually great but saddled with what they got. When they had the tiniest chance to show what they could do they were great. I would actually love a Discovery series with different showrunners and no Burnham because I thought the secondary characters were criminally wasted and MUCH more interesting.

Tldr: you didn't miss anything by leaving when you did... at... all...

Edit: fixed autocorrect typos

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 18 _BAA_RAM_EWE

Is this the end of this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well that makes The Orville Star Trek canon. The Progenitor is clearly a female Moclan and Litos shuttle looks like it runs on a Quantum drive instead of a warp drive.

• Advertisement

So much potential wasted.

Pulling the show down to a single person for the Klingon war was daft. Something like that and on modern TV called for wider scope not narrower.

And imagine what you could do in 5 seasons with Lorca, Stamets and Saru if they had been given to good writers. Jason Isaacs is an incredible actor and would definitely fit neatly alongside the other series captains. Would be the only one who could match Stewart and Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I LOVED Isaacs's take on a captain: Doing what needed to be done in a universe that wasn't perfect and needed the tough choices to be made from time to time. Put it this way, you wouldn't see a shrink on his bridge..... and then.... eeeeeeevilllllll. Lost interest

As for the Orvile shuttle at the end, I was thinking the exact and thing at the time. Was thinking how ironic it was that they were obviously taking "inspiration " from the "inspiration "

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I think that they chose the least interesting option in how to resolve the progenitor tech by just "kicking the can down the road". Yeah they kept it out of Breen hands but it just resets the setting to square one. I also thought it odd that Burnham didn't at least offer Moll the choice of reviving L'ak? Tell Moll that she can bring him back but that he won't be the person she loves and won't remember her.

I get why the writers tacked on the epilogue. They didn't know when writing the season finale that it would end up having to be the overall series finale. I don't know why they felt they had to close the loop on the Calypso short trek. Surely that time would have been better served giving a proper goodbye to the cast? I mean, poor Owo & Detmer got what - 5 secs of screentime?

Still, as underwhelming a finale this might be I still think "These are the Voyages" retains top spot for worst series finale. This finale at least feels like its in keeping with the rest of Discovery - for better or worse. It doesn't turn around and take a massive dump on the preceding show.

They felt they had to close the Calypso loop because of a small obsessive angry group of Disco fans online.

The showrunners should have quit Reddit when they started making this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But how many shows have endings where the showrunners annoyingly just go with the "open to interpretation" idea? So all they had to do about Calypso was just have the showrunners say "Oh yeah, that still happens sometime in the next thousand years".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Look, I know you all want it but they won't Poochie Discovery.

Calypso wasn't part of the show though. They didn't have to address it at all. In the early draft of season 3 Book was referred to as Craft so it seems they were only ever going to take cues from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have tried twice now and I cant get through this last episode, both times I literally fell asleep during the last 30 minutes.

Jeeze its pretty awful isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Rawr

Alright, so I have said throughout that I wouldn’t watch Season 5, but at least try out the finale.

But here we are, and I can’t for the life of me muster enough fecks to bother setting sail to watch this. I therefore kindly ask my fellow Boards Trekkies….is it worth the effort of watching?

All I find myself wondering is, what is Michael’s ultimate fate? Some online posts suggested that she ends the show as an Admiral. My reaction to that news was this:

I think I even did voice….(sudden hankering for a tour around Perdition’s Flames too…)

So…should I bother? I barely got past Season 3, and did not feel left out in the slightest when I skipped Season 4, and now 5. I’m wondering if I’m just as well off leaving it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Nope. Not at all.

Michael is the only person that can handle the power of the universe (only a slight exaggeration), but decides to lob it into a black hole. Then we jump forward a few decades where she and Book live happily ever after, she's an admiral, and their son is a captain. Oh, and Tilly is the longest serving academy instructor in their history.

That's it. It was a struggle to get through season 5, and I was bummed out that the finale had an extra 30 minutes of nonsense to get through.

Oh, and she sends the sentient ship to be by itself for a millenium to tie up that Calypso episode. Urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭eadrom

There's a bit tacked-on to the end which is supposed to wrap up the series, the rest is just the end of the season you haven't watched anyway so no point really.

I think it's the last 15 minutes or so. Burnham and Book are older, with some grey hair. It's not good, and doesn't make much sense, but it's only 10 - 15 minutes. Might as well watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jason Isaacs was incredible and the reason I was excited for each new episode of Discovery from ep 3 onwards of season 1. I've a feeling it was his choice to sign on as a one season only deal though rather than the showrunners given his calibre. That said, I haven't seen him in too many things lately.

The second last episode was actually not terrible with some fun moments. But when the highest praise one can muster about the best episode is "It's not terrible" then that should tell you all you need to know.

Every major and minor flaw was amplified. From the obsessive focus on the dullest character on the show. To the never-ending narcissistic self reflection/self absorption of Burnham. The shifting of other characters: A realistic representation of a married couple working together who just so happened to be gay, turning into overly sensitive and just plain creepy appropriation of a family unit. Removing the best prosthetic actor in the business for the majority of the runtime (Hopefully because Jones was just too busy), Down to minor things like teleporting 50 feet or simply mind-reading teleporters. To just plain bad writing/plotting. Spending a minute debating leaving a character defenceless by taking a weapon from a character to blow something up, only for the next scene to see them generate their new weapons.

This was, BY FAR, the worst Trek show and a difficult watch. And, IMHO, this was all down to the showrunners. Green showed she could portray a fierce character that was tough yet likeable in The Walking Dead. I don't remember seeing anyone else in anything else apart from Jones, Isaacs and Yeoh of course. Jones already mentioned. Isaacs character started interesting then … Well, we know what happened. Yeoh's captain character was great but, in fairness to the show, we knew she was scheduled to die almost immediately. But Emperor Yeoh? Just AWFUL. She's a f*cking OSCAR WINNER and you have her practically going "MWUHAHAHAHA".

Compare and contrast with Strange New Worlds. The confidence that show has in its actors and writers. You had a musical episode, a cross-over with a f*cking CARTOON (I know LD is awesome but it still took balls to do this). Knowing the potential backlash you could expect from a toxic fanbase, you introduced more female characters and recast kirk!!! And everyone loved it all You gave most of the characters time and space to breathe. From established characters like Uhura and Spock and Pike and Number One (Una. lol) to the doctor, security officer and navigator (She probably got the least to do so far but still an enjoyable character).

You take one of the most famous episodes of The Original Series and then have the balls to tweak it and you NAIL IT

TLDR: Not worth your time at all.

Advertisement