Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation Options - OAP Age 66 Home Owner - Inter County Transfer

Options
  • 30-05-2024 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. My Mum is at a stage in her life where she needs to be closer to me. She is currently living 1hr 30mins drive away but has no other family contact or support. Her health situation is not great as she suffers with psoriatic arthritis and recently got a knee replacement. There is potential there for accidents and falls as she previous broke her arm getting out of a taxi.

What are her options in relation to moving closer to me in Swords Co. Dublin? Citizens Information told me there is something called a council house swap / inter county transfer but I just learned this means swapping with another person willing to live in her house and vise versa. At first I thought this meant that she would sell her house to the council and then she could pick another unoccupied council house.

Fold housing was also discussed but she would not be happy paying rent and having nothing to show for her money.

Buying an apartment may be an option if and when she sells her house. I just wanted to check on here first if we are missing any other routes or options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Council housing is not an option, since she already owns a house.

Could she move in with you?

Does she even want to move? maybe you should move closer to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

She needs to sell her house and buy somewhere closer to you, or you move closer to her.

She is a homeowner, so not eligible for council housing.

Advertisement