Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with two quotes and boiler upgrade options

Options
  • 30-05-2024 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have got two quotes for upgrade of boiler and smart heating including zoning water and heat.

Option-1 [Hive heating controls including smart TRVs] [Company doing the work]

Boiler upgrade

High Efficiency 24kW Ideal Logic Max System Boiler
    New Flue
    Magnaclean Filter
    System Inhibitor - chemical to reduce future rust in the system
    Pipes & Fittings
    10 Year Parts & Labour Warranty
    RGII Certificate of Compliance
    12 Month Workmanship Guarantee

Heating zone and smart controls

Supply and fit Zoned Heating Controls (no remote access) including:
    Programmable Room Thermostat (one heating zone & hot water zone)
    7 Thermostatic Radiator Valves
    EPH Cylinder Thermostat
    Fixtures & fittings

Hot water cylinder upgrade

Supply & fit 48 X 16" Vented Stainless Steel Cylinder
    10 Year Parts & Labour Warranty
    Pre Insulated
    Duplex Stainless Steel
    100% Recyclable

TRVs on all radiators

Supply and install TR1/TR2 - wireless receiver to avoid running cable from boiler to hot press

Supply and fit Immersion Timer

Power flush and system cleanse not included in this and to be done by separate vendor - Cost 700-900 EUR

Overall cost = 6550 to 6750 (two parties involved)

**********************************************************************************************

Option - 2 [Tado heating controls including TRVs] [Local plumber electrician doing the work]

Boiler upgrade

Supply and fit worcester bosch 4000 system 10 year warrenty
    Work includes

• A high performance and efficient Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 ___
    • Extended Horizontal flue
    • Magnetic Filter to protect your boiler and system against debris in the
      pipes
    • System Cleanse & Treatment
    • All associated pipe & fittings required to complete works
    • RGI completion cert
    • Old boiler removed and disposed of safely

Heating zone and smart controls

Tado heating system install and wiring

Motorised valve install and integration

Tado radiator valves

Hot water cylinder upgrade

Supply and fit 38x18 stainless steel hotwater cylinder

Integrate with tado system

Total cost [Two vendors - Boiler/plumbing and electrician]- 6290

Can i check which of the above makes sense from specs point of view(Ideal Vs Worsceter/ Hive Vs Tado) ? Also pricing is almost similar but first option flushing seems to be high. Second option is done by local contractors. There are 10 radiators in the house.

Both will be eligible for SEAI grant of 750.

Thanks a mill !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

difficult to know without seeing it. Quotes seem in the right ballpark. I might be erring towards No. 2.

Both boilers are decent, my preference would be the Worcester Bosch. I would rate it ahead of the Ideal.

On the controls side, both nest and Tado are significant players and both offer comprehensive systems. Smart TRV’s - I wouldn’t be entirely sold on, unless they were absolutely necessary. There are batteries to change, they take room temp right beside the radiator which is a little flawed, and overall more complexity and things to go wrong than perhaps you need. An upstairs and downstairs hard piped heating circuit together with a separate hot water zone is usually entirely adequate for the needs of most houses. You would fit programmable room stats upstairs and downstairs to manage these.

You would be amazed the amount of houses where the best of heating controls are disconnected, bypassed etc. not that long after installation when something goes wrong and costs more than the customer is prepared to pay to resolve. I suggest keep it is simple as possible.

Look at Heatmiser Neo too as a controls option. Nice little system, works well and not big money. (This would be along the lines of an upstairs zone, downstairs zone and Hot Water separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

thanks…plumbing only facilitates water and heating zones..so TrV is the only option for floor zoning(three floors in total). Doing zoning on each floor would need new plumbing.

I have heard Tado TRvs are better than hive so even I am leaning to the 2nd option.

Advertisement