Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail New Proposed Timetable - August 2024

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

forget it i give up, posts not quoting again.

deleted.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That is the effect for the Belfast service yes.

But it is entirely intertwined with the northern commuter service pattern. It’s not an option of itself.

Option 1 means a 20 minute gap and then a 40 minute gap in the commuter services to/from Drogheda and option 2 means two 30 minute gaps.

And for option 2 the northern commuters will be slower as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 orb123

I'm not sure the backlash would be as big as the media makes it out to be. There will always be a vocal minority opposed to any change but surely most people aren't going to mind spending a few minutes changing trains in return for a much more frequent service.

It might be sensible for IrishRail to trial the Greystones changeover on weekends to get passengers used to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There was big dramatic headlines a few weeks that Irish rail were going to end direct direct rail link to Wexford and that this was yet another insult to the rail users of Wexford. Yes technically this was true but the alternative means a much more frequent service which is surely the end goal

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

given that the change is for change sake and is about ideology and providing minimal service and capacity to the line, the reality is that yes sufficient people will be opposed to this unnecessary change as they will realize that better can be delivered, and enough of us will get the message out there that this is a service proposal based on stifleing growth of the line.
    essentially, this is a form of the discredited no growth models as practiced in britain on both the welsh and borders and northern railways franchises in the past.
    wasting time trialling something that will fail to get passengers used to something they aren't interested in, that is ideology based, is a waste of everyone's time.
    the only reason people are supporting this nonsense is ideology, the same reason it would be implemented, people who don't use the services forcing more **** services on a line that has always had **** services because shur that is the way it has always been done.
    even if it was the case that it was just a vocal minority opposed and from what i see that's not the case, they are right because they can see this for what it actually is and they know better can and will ultimately be delivered.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would provide feedback on the stops. I have gotten the proposed 20:20 ex Waterford serving all those. They operated the exact same service in 2011 as part of the tall ships. I wouldn't do it again in a hurry.

The 16:40 today is bad enough. I do hope once the new station in Waterford opens they will be able to improve things. As for the pre 9am arrival, the current schedule does make an 06:10-08:25 and 09:15 return work with very little impact on existing services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

There isn't really a driver shortage any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's not really true. There are still not enough drivers to deliver a weekend PPT service for example, or to deliver an enhanced DART weekend service, or extra services on certain Intercity routes, including Rosslare.

There's still some way to go.

That's incorrect. There's enough drivers for a weekend PPT service, and enough for Rosslare, as well as other Intercity routes. It's not a lack of drivers that's curtailing the services you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Do you have a source for the amount of available drivers?

• Advertisement

Advertisement