Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail New Proposed Timetable - August 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Dublinandy3

This really is a disaster for me. The train I always catch doesn't exist anymore. I now have to change at Connolly and it hasn't arrived on time once.

If I'm lucky my connection is also late. If I'm extra lucky my connection is also late and there is space to get on the train.

The train coming home now leaves 15 minutes earlier, which makes it really difficult to catch.

I know I am just one person, but I wonder if they've had any positive feedback at all over this, even if just from one single person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks like I'll need to alter my start time in work to accommodate these changes. Thankfully I have that option, many others don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭deezell

The expression 'Clusterf***' comes to mind, and that's not a destination on a red signage board either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Same crap today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Absolutely zero positive feedback I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Dublinandy3

There is one earlier train I can catch, but it leaves at 5:20am. I'll see what it's like tomorrow and if no better will just have to start getting up at an even stupider earlier time.

Ah the joys of living outside of Dublin!

Fourth stationary period on tracks from Portmarnock into Connolly. For what should be a 22 minute ride. Third world crap.

And yet our pathetic government have no idea what to spend 14bn on..

They'll get no kudos abroad for spending on their own I suppose.

More massive cock ups and delays this morning. Just go back to the pre 26th August timetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Been WFH yesterday and Friday. Not looking forward to my morning commute now tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

If there was honesty about what has happened, it would imply reverting to the old timetable and admitting they have gotten it very wrong - then take the time to review everything, see what went wrong and redesign the new timetable properly.....

• Advertisement

That would mean dropping the hourly Enterprise, although it could be argued that the track capacity may not be there for it in the first place.

They already removed one Dart (7:15) from Malahide. It wouldn't surprise me if more followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So is there a date for the next revision yet?

Connolly has only slightly improved.

Then the small fact of 3 trains between 05:50-06:20 ex Maynooth and then a 35 min gap. Apparently demand means they needed to put a third departue between 05:55-06:20 and remove the old 06:38 serivce. I am told by people the 06:56 is now very crowded. It's even worse at Drumcondra with a 20 to 30m change to first two PPT services. No service between 07:00-07:27. There was previously 3 trains between 07:00-07:18 at Drumcondra and now there is 3 trains within 7 minutes between 06:53-07:00. Two of those trains arrive 2 minutes apart in Connolly, one schedule to take 7 and other 4 minutes. I think that sums for this timetable's miss managment. Suprised if the signalling system can even handle such timetables even if everything was running to time.

There is also some poor performance on some Heuston services but that won't impact the OTP so that dosn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Gerlad

I've stopped using the trains now because of this shitshow and every time I see Irish Rail pop up on my Twitter timeline its to advise of trains running 20/30 mins late around 4:30/5. Will bike it in until weather goes bad and then back to car. Thanks Eamon Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

how is ryan to blame for an irish rail and NTA issue?

he isn't.

stop blaming him for everything just because ffg are making car drivers actually pay for their usage.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭3d4life

@end of the road : Who is the present Minister for Transport ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭Polar101

There's a 07:18 Docklands train from Clonsilla, and then a 07:20 to Grand Canal Dock. Is it even possible to run those on time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭thomasj

05:15hrs Connolly to Maynooth departs earlier at 05:10hrs

05:27hrs Connolly to Maynooth departs earlier at 05:15hrs

05:45hrs Connolly to Maynooth has revised times en route

05:20hrs Connolly to M3 Parkway departs later at 05:25hrs

Are my eyes playing tricks on me as I can find none of those services (old or new) on the journey planner or the timetable ?

Post edited by thomasj on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Looks like someone included some of the empty workings that operate the first inward services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

Are there new people working in the planning office - there must be a causal factor here. I can't believe train planning graphs weren't done to stress test it before introduction and show up stress points

• Advertisement

Sounds like the work of a committee. As they say, a Camel is a Horse designed by a committee.

or the powers above them refused to listen or combination of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I used this yesterday, caught the 8:06 from Maynooth to Broombridge, and took the Green line to be on O'Connell for 9 am. I'm not sure of the numbers but the platform at Broombridge was full of people transferring to the Luas so definitely a popular option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Daith

Watching people get off the train at Broombridge queue to tag off the Irish Rail validator and then queue to tag on the Luas validator, just praying the Luas doesn't just go, is crazy though.

Broombridge is really going to get busy with the N2 bus service too.

If the put a couple of platforms off the north strand, at the greenway on the Royal canal line, that could take a number of Maynooth trains out of Connolly Station, but with rapid access to withing waking distance of onward Dart services. It could be built in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'd forgotten that bit I wasn't sure what to do as both validators were quite close to each other and the luas was quite full so due to depart imminently, I tagged off at the Irish rail one and attempted to tag on with the Luas validator but looking at my card history that didn't work as it has me tagging on when I thought I was tagging off the luas!

A few months? Nothing in the railway happens that quickly. 😂

20:50 Galway - Heuston no longer on Journey Planner…

One night special this evening 20:50 Galway - Heuston departs Newbridge at 23:12 then goes through time travel to between HK176 and Sallins to arrive at in Heuston 1 hour earlier than scheduled at 22:36!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Irishrail couldn't run a hornby trains set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Amusingly enough IE's primary planning software is indeed graph-based, but as with anything, it takes skill to actually read through those.

You should see the 5.27, as it's a passenger service.

5.15 makes the 5.57 Maynooth to Connolly, 5.45 makes the 6.27 Maynooth to Connolly and 5.20 makes the 6.10 from M3 Parkway.

Times changed now, obviously. 😂

he's not to blame for an NTA/irish rail screw up.

it is FFG who are implementing the stuff he gets blamed for, stuff he has no actual say in.

those are just the facts.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

How is it the NTA’s fault? Is it not entirely down to Irish Rail?

Oh, but he's pushing the agenda, especially in intercity terms where he has prevented funding for necessary safe roads, while dreaming about fast frequent electric rail links to everywhere. That level of infrastructure has a 100 year hole in it, as all that happened in that time was depopulation, deterioration and closure. What he (and I too) would like to see is over a generation away, unless we hand the entirety of the project and the executive power to build it to an Asian expert, like they did in Serbia, for a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time. Up to 200kph trains, the journey from Dublinovich to Galwayski or Sligograd would take little over an hour and ten. That's journey times for many commuters these days on local routes. I'd have respect for him if he owned up to the complete lack of experience and ability we have in this area, instead of pushing a creaking overloaded system beyond its capacity.

• Advertisement

he isn't preventing funding for necessary safe roads nor has he prevented such.
    the necessary safe inter city roads have happened, with only cork to limerick outstanding and that is happening eventually.
    he isn't pushing anything, he has no actual say, he was actually quite lucky to get the pt projects through he did get through and thank jesus he managed it.
    lol if you think the surbians got their infrastructure for a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the time scale to build it, they got simple PFI and will be paying it off for many many decades at high interest rates and a high cost.
    again i understand you are annoyed that you are going to have to pay the full costs of using your car but that's life, we have been getting away without paying in full for way too long and now the chickens are coming home to roost and we have to pay what we owe, that's down to FFG.

I understand you are annoyed that you are going to have to pay the full costs of using your car ..

Where have you got this statement from? It sounds like something out of an AI letter writing bot's arse, with the 'patronising put down' option ticked. I have always paid the full cost of my car ownership, plus all the excise and taxes on the vehicles and the fuel, an appropriate 45%+ to the exchequer, but at no point have I complained. King Canute would have a better chance in his endeavours that we would in reducing this particular imposition.

I'm quite happy to pay these costs, because I can, because I've earned them, and I'm not comfortable with subsidies that distort markets, industry, leading to waste and corporate laziness. The ESB €0.4 Billion debacle was paid for out of your 'light bill', as it was known as in my childhood. How is this related to car ownership? It reminds me of the East German communists attempts to present a superior front to democracy, with so many state subsididues and interventions that normal competitive practice ceased to exist. The pork farmers there benefitted though, as the almost 100% subsidised bread industry was used as a source of animal feed as it was so much cheaper than corn meal. They had the best fed pigs in Europe at the time, cheap bread, plenty of pork and SFA else. You think this green style manipulation doesn't have unintended consequences? Of course it does. There's three questions in my repy, should be enough for the bot to generate a vague and patronising reply with.

I know it’s not timetable related, but sounds like chaos on the northern line again this morning.
    Just when you think it can’t get any worse, it does.

If it's not broken, fix it anyway, and refuse to back down. Grandson commuting from Clontarf Road to Sydney parade says its gone desperate, every day. Late, then Stop, start, stop, start. The Dart is now the Fart, and an old man's one at that.

• Advertisement

Another week same sh!t

Commuter sitting on the tracks outside Connolly for about ten minutes

SSouthbound ervices started late this morning because engineering works ran over last night.

The difference a month can make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I work in Blackrock and the location of the signs are terrible. They cannot be seen 3 feet away as the station sign partially obscures it. And yeah, you get the usual "Important notice &%8nsb… &%8nsb…&%8nsb…&%8nsb… &%8nsb… &%8nsb…&%8nsb…&%8nsb…" and "The lifts are broken at M50 Parkway". Have you SEEN that stop? You are SCREWED if you have mobility issues and need the lift

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭bluedex

Why didn't they just leave the original timetable, or revert back to it? The Maynooth/Longford/Sligo line is a total sh1tshow now.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

isn't the hourly Belfast route the cause of all the issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

They should reopen Broadstone for the Sligo line, that would take a lot of traffic away from Connolly

They wanted to, but the government insisted on giving it to Luas instead.

The could still move Maynooth commuters to the lower canal line. Stick a pair of platforms at Binn Bridge to match Drumcondra stop, cheap, no footbridges or lifts required as its below grade, just a bit of digging into Whitworth place and the canal embankment. A few more platformds down at the North strand, then a pedestrian walkway up to platform 6/7, or just walk 500m to the old commuter entrance and reopen that to connect. They could still run some Maynooth up the spur off peak to 7. They did it often enough in the 80s and 90s. Maynooyhbtrainscthen become immune to Belfast, Drogheda, Dart etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They didn’t want to.

That was a solo run by the late CIÉ Executive Chairman John Lynch who wanted to stop the RPA getting the land.

Pure politics.

All Sligos stop at broom bridge now anyway. That’s close enough for you, right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement