Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polished concrete floor without underfloor heating

Options
  • 30-05-2024 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a floor that will work for both kitchen and living/dining. Polished concrete seems to fit the bill.

But is it a good option if I don't have underfloor heating? I get the impression it could be cold without the underfloor?

Any experiences or views would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've stayed in places with unheated polished concrete floors but not lived in them long term.

My experience was that they were cold and hard and therefore uncomfortable. Looked great though, very stylish.

Not the least of your issues will be that (assuming you don't have an insulated slab) you're installing a massive heat sink connected to the Earth. Underfloor heating would include insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Le shovelle

We've polished concrete in the kitchen and hall with no underfloor heating. House is heated with rads. It's the same temperature as a tiled floor but a lot cleaner with no grout lines. Just because you don't have underfloor heating doesn't mean you won't have insulation under the floor

Advertisement