Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge flail mower blades

• 30-05-2024 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

HI

I got these flail mower blades new. Although both sides seems to be beveled , there's still no edge. Cutting long grass and just tearing it . Lot of pressure on mower.

Whats the best way to edge- would I edge both sides , or just one.

Just thinking back in the days of edging fingerbar mower blades, would only do one side, the other side was straight. But this new blade seems to already have both sides edged, but still not sharp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Flail mowers work more of brute strength than a finger-bar which would require edging. Be like comparing a hammer to a scalpel really. If you want to give them an edging then a run of a flappy disc on both sides will do them no harm at all.

I assume since you have replaced the flails you have had the mower for a while and PTO speed and forward travel speeds are fine. Just check that the cutting edge of the flail is leading since the replacement. Grass is one of the more difficult materials to cut with a flail as it is so flexible.

https://farmsuppliesmachineryandequipment.com.au/blog/mulcher-flails-should-i-use-hammers-or-y-flails/

If you are doing a lot of long grass then maybe give a read of this and go for some Y-flails.

Advertisement