Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a question to a solution on Sudoku and its driving me nuts....

Options
  • 30-05-2024 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone with better logic can explain this to me…Im on the HARD version of Sudoku and have a fairly good solve rate but this one I am scratching my head at as it doesent seem to make sense to me..

If someone knows this game than please tell me how the number 3 is missed here. The solution via a 'tip' says only 8 can go here,

How do they figure this I would have thought that 3 could also possibly go in this spot, See Photo

thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Its the only spot on the middle row, where 8 can be entered.

Nothing to do with a 3

8 can't go in the middle row of the first square, as it's already in the bottom row, and all other spots are taken

Therefore, 3 can't go there, because 8 has to

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You have three blank squares in that row, and three missing numbers; 3, 8 and 9.

First box on the left already has an 8, so neither of those two boxes in your row can be the 8, therefore the one you used the tip on HAS to be the 8.

The right hand one of the remaining two can't be a 9, obviously, so your entire row should read:

9 - 3 - 6 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 1 - 8

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I actually see it now…doh, 8 already occupies the 3 x 3 grid, it cant go in the centre row so , yes, no other position

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

thanks. I can sleep tonight!!!! lol

Advertisement