Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Home Cost

Options
  • 30-05-2024 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi - hope this is the correct forum.

I'll shortly be moving across country and was wondering what the average cost would be for a moving company. I'd probably need a big enough van for large pieces for furniture (furniture in 2 sitting rooms, 3 bedrooms & Kitchen).

I know it depends on how much furniture and how far (will be about 240 KM). I ran it on a quote website and I got a few quotes back ranging from €800 - €1500. I thought that was quite low as was expecting it to be much more. Does that sound right?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In 2019 I paid 840 for 1 vehicle / 2 men, to go maybe 150km one-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Bit of a how long is a piece of string question, how much stuff have you got and how easy would it be to get it out of one house and into another?

800 I would guess is about the price for 2 men for an 8 hour day. Wouldnt be any less than that. Dont be surprised though for this quote to amended upwards when they go through the details.

1500 is maybe price for 2 men for 2 days, or 4 men for 1 day. Depending on location of the company and your houses given they are the width of the country away from each other, I imagine 4 men for 1 day might be cheaper than 2 men for 2 days.

Do you think they'd load everything, drive and unload in a day? If you have it all boxed and near the front door it would obviously be quicker than them boxing everything up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Athlone_88

Yea, that will all have to be considered. New house is currently empty so as soon as they arrive they will have access. We are doing a huge clear out at the moment so only bringing essentials, and will be bringing a lot of smaller stuff to it before the final move. There shouldn't be many small boxes as most of what we have that we don't need on moving day will be going to charity. But good to know that the quotes were probably correct. I was expecting around €3K initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My company bills out 2 men teams at around 1000 a day usually (tradesmen in a van).

If anyone asks you for 3000 for 2 men for a day say not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Remember the rule of three when moving. You have three times as much stuff than you think. You need three times more boxes than you think. You will need three times more time than you think. You have three times more rubbish than you think.

As above, the day the movers arrive have your boxes out on the front lawn for loading. Have helper teams on both sites for loading and stowing. Anything you dont trust the removal company with, move it yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement