Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mole Ploughing

• 30-05-2024 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads I want to do a bit of mole ploughing this year as I never got a chance last year with it being to wet. I am planning on doing the fields as the cows are finished grazing them but just wondering should I mole plough before I spread slurry on these paddocks or after or does it make much difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭V6400

I do it after slurry just to give the moles as long as possible to set before machinery or cattle go back into the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone gravel mole ploughed, if so what’s your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Do you find it leaves the ground very rough. I have a single leg subsoiler and ya would need pull the roller or dive along it with wheel to help smoothen it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭V6400

if you go half the width of the tractor spacing you will be driving on it as your doing the next run and it’ll level it but still does a good job. Often thought too it wouldn’t be a huge job to make up some sort of a roller for it if you wanted to do wider spacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭KingPanko

Would anyone like to advise on drainage. Picture is of a test hole to see what we are dealing with. All currently dry and looks ok but in wet weather is not OK. The field had a lot of fill brought in 20 years ago and is draining very poorly. In wet periods it is totally water logged. In 2017 I put a couple of drains in, pipe and stone, water is coming out of them but not enough as the whole area even a couple of feet away from the drain would have water sitting on top of the ground for long period. When those drains were done, the top was dry, the digger found water straight away shallow, then dry and for a test dug deep and found water again a bit over 2 meters down.

In 2018 came to the conclusion that there was a pan there so got a man with a ripper kind of thing to pull it through the ground. It didn't work, it is as wet as ever. Maybe it didn't go deep enough or maybe it's not the right machine. What do ye who have experience with drainage think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement