Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used road bike

Options
  • 30-05-2024 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a brand or options to look at re a 2nd hand road bike?

Or what to avoid?

There are so many available on adverts or deals that I don't know where to start.

I'm interested in joining mates who do 50-80km spins.

Have cleats, helmet and all the usual paraphernalia.

My budget would be about €500 for a used bike.

So it doesn't need to be top notch just something I won't be disappointed in.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

winter and summer spins?

main thing to get right is the sizing; that's hard to fix if you get it wrong. don't compromise on that.

this would be an example of a great bike for a little more than you're asking;

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/genesis-equilibrium-725-52cm/33728384

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I'd imagine just Summer. At least initially.

From the 100s of other bikes I see online would I be right in thinking I shouldn't go too far wrong with a Giant, Cube or Trek? In the budget range I'm looking at.

It's a decent starter bike really I'm looking for. I'd upgrade later if I become hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

What brand do the local bike shops sell/repair?

Giant have different part sizes to many other brands.

Plenty of good bikes out there available with some haggling. Go for 105 or ultegra if you can and rim brake bikes are cheap to maintain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Id avoid ultegra if it's used just because of the hassle of the chainset potentially failing. Now in all likelihood it's fine but still.

Nothing wrong with tiagra 4700. Cheap to replace parts and parts will last for ages. To be honest all the new stuff will be absolutely fine so don't fall into it the I need 105/ultegra. You don't . If you enjoy it in the longer run, then yes absolutely.

It's buyers market out there.

What height are you? Probably someone on here with a bike just right

5 10

Assume that's a medium on most brands?

• Advertisement

Medium or large. Probably a medium/large on giant. Medium on some genesis, large in others. 54-56. But other factors to consider.

Like I'd think that genesis linked is too small, but a medium just right.

More than anything you'll want to be comfortable. If you get something that you're not comfortable on m, you'll hate cycling it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW the ad says it's a medium genesis, 52cm. but 52 is a small according to genesis IIRC, not a medium; i ride a 52cm equilibrium and i'm a couple of inches shy of 5'10".

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ash40

Just found this thread and am wondering about the same question. Not too sure if it's different for women than men or is one bike for men and one for women a thing of the past?....I will agree that sizing in important. I tried my boyfriend's bike that was too big and it was awful! I'm 5 8 and a medium seems to suit

Can anyone throw their eyes on these 2 options?

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/trek-one-series-1-2-road-bike/37074764

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-tcr-carbon-road-bike/36952034

Post edited by Brego888 on

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Women's limb ratios ARE different to men's. Giant's female brand is Liv, the Liv Avail is their endurance 'racer'. As well as the different bike geometry, there's nice details like smaller hand span requirements on the brake lever/gear selector. Proper mudguard mounts are provided, unlike higher up the racing hierarchy.

I'm not in the trade, just recently helping a friend. There's a used Liv Avail (aluminium, Sora gears) on Adverts.ie currently. It's size S though, 5-2 to 5-7. Size M is 5-5 to 5-9. Oh, and get a lady's saddle, because.

@Ash40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I'd go for the TCR, as a platform to ride with your mates.

Does it change into all the gears sweetly? Are the wheels true, with a reasonable amount of life still in the rims? Chain, rings and cassettes got life in them? Is the bottom bracket in good shape? These thinks are all fixable, and such a bike can be a platform for ongoing upgrades/repairs/replacement parts. Don't feel bad about repairs, parts don't wear out sitting in the shed. People fit Garorskin tyres for high commuter milage, so its probably way more used than the Trek (as described).

If you stick with cycling that frame could be with you for years, if its the right size.

E&OE, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

the Trek is massively overpriced, it’s in great condition but it’s also about 7 years old at this point and at the time was one of the lowest specs you could get.

The Giant has a much better groupset, I’d just be wary of buying a used carbon frame without knowing what you’re looking for, but I guess it’s worth having a look at it and going over it with a fine tooth comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ash40

Did NOT know that there are ladies saddles!! Excellent advice all round! Much appreciated, thank you!!

Integrated seatposts. Wouldn't touch one with a bargepole personally unless you were absolutely sure of sizing

Also, quite an aggressive geometry so may not be for everyone.

Does an integrated seat post mean that the saddle height can't be adjusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Not necessarily, you can buy spacers to raise the height, some also are adjustable just higher up the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You’ll usually have a few mm adjustment up or down with the saddle clamp, but any lower and you have to cut the actual seatpost itself down to size.

The one thing I would say is it looks like there’s plenty of post left on the bike if you were shorter than it’s current owner, doesn’t look like they’ve chopped much off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

🤔 The TCR doesn't have an integrated seatpost? Is a custom seatpost all right so you probably can't get aftermarket ones but it does have a seatpost clamp and is fully adjustable.

TCR would be my pick too, it's a far better bike than the trek long term. Looks in good nick, I would be swapping the Gatorskins Asap for wet weather. The Trek 1.2 isn't bad just very basic and entry level. Does look in perfect condition, bike to work that was never used. Would make a nice commuter or for the turbo if you could get for more like €250-300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Don't know if this might be of interest to you @Brego888

I'm advertising it on DoneDeal. Can do a 'Boardsie' price of €200.

Defy4 Alex. XL frame. Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. Shimano Claris 16 speed.

Think XL would be outside my range at 5'9 / 5'10.

Thanks though.

• Advertisement

https://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/trek-roadbike/27011369

Trek Emonda ALR 4

Can anyone advice or offer an opinion on this bike?

Going to have a look over the weekend.

Advertisement