Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what point did they lose it?

• 30-05-2024 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

I remember we grew up listening to The Immaculate Collection by Madonna so I was always very fond of her…and I remember when she came out with this...

And I was around 14 and me and my brother were like 'its actually good'...it was different and striking and not a bad move...

This is when I think she lost it...

It's not bad...well it's not great..the original song she took from is far better and there's a certain way when's she's dancing that she looks like she can't get up...don't get me wrong...I'm like fair play to her but at the same time I'm thinking it's time to put up the dancing shoes or at least don't try so hard honey...youre already the queen of pop...do what you want, not what you think you should be doing.…bla blah blah

Also I remember watching The Royale Family....it's one of my favourite shows of all time...but when they did the Christmas special and Denise put the turkey in the bath…i just thought...no please don't take her character there...it's too much..it was a show based on being real so don't put them into completely unrealistic situations that no-one would do...not even Denise 😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Only Fools and Horses. Absolutely brilliant when the lads were single. There were brilliant episodes about going on dates, disastrous dates, and the gems where they're out on the pull.

But it lost its mojo when Raquel and Cassandra got involved. Just wasn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Nah their relationships with Raquel and Cassandra were just a natural part of their character development...and some great storylines with them…the point Only Fools and Horses lost it was when they won the lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

100%. They really should have ended that show though when they won the money. Bringing in all the extra crap like kids and then losing the money again just turned it into a bad soap opera and not a comedy.

Why are you quoting him 100% if you're agreeing with me and saying they should have ended it when they won the money?

Anyway 'extra crap' like kids.…I thought the Damien and Rodney storyline was gas 😂😂😂

And when they go on holiday and Rodney is booked in as a child 😂😅🤣

Post edited by ruth...less on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

should have just kept trying to be hilarious. They introduced bucketloads of pathos and it really didn’t suit the show. Sacrificed laughs for storytelling…. A very funny sitcom veered towards comedy drama.

One thing that annoyed me and it’s even more obvious looking back, was how poor an actress Gwyneth Strong was, the show in the main had a brilliant main cast and supporting cast and characters…. The show could have done without that character but Strong wasn’t the best actress either to play it.

She was / is known for showing up in one off or the odd episode of the likes of The Bill, Casualty, Doctors, New Tricks, Mid Summer Murders… and not exactly doing much in the way of putting her mark on or in anything. Just always very stiff… basically outside of Fools, just a jobbing actress…

• Advertisement

Tbf...she wasn't a likeable character…she was there to ground Rodney…Rodney struggled with his relationship with Del Boy and she was the complete opposite of Del Boy!

I didn't particularly like Cassandra either but I didn't dislike her. I actually found her straight haired sleek bob mesmerising as a child lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

U2 from 2000 onwards were dreadful. Beautiful Day was their last decent song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I never rated her. Or, to be more precise, her music. So, for me, she never had it to lose it. Now, don't get me wrong; I recognise that she used to be good at what she did. But there's tens of millions (probably) out there who would strongly disagree with me. So be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ray Of Light is my favourite Madonna album.

The Immaculate Collection was a somewhat unsatisfying compilation. All the tracks were re-worked through Q-Sound & it was missing key hits (Dress You Up, Angel, True Blue, Who’s That Girl).

For someone of Madonna’s stature, it’s bad there’s no proper CD box set of her singles output i.e all the singles in their 7” mixes / radio edits. Maybe we’ll get one when she’s dead.

Some things I'm not a fan of but I can still recognise why they were popular and on top and then what they did that lost it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They did in fairness. John Sullivan had written three additional scripts and the BBC decided to produce them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Sometimes I wonder with things like this is how much is it shows/singers losing it and how much is ourselves just growing up and tastes changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Totally agree with this, character wrong and actress wrong. I always felt it didn't work from day one of her arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

This chart shows the decline of The Simpsons, based on IMDb audience ratings per episode, and the season average. I definitely noticed a decline in quality towards the end of the 90's, when it seemed like they were resting on the laurels of the show's popularity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A lot of the best writers like Conan O'Brien left and the show went downhill from there. It went from being relatable satire lampooning pop culture to zany antics slavishly worshipping pop culture.

This video is worth a watch:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Only Fools and Horses had to move with their audience , same with Friends . As people get older , marriage and babies come into it . To not go there and end as singletons wouldn’t have made sense

Behind The Mask album by Fleetwood Mac...I think Stevie and others had left and were replaced but it was a pretty bad album…they had a come back with Say You Will but it didn't match their earlier stuff. It was ok.

They had an in-between album called Time between Behind the Mask and Say You Will and I've never listened to it but I had a random football anthem cd...dont know where we got it and this is a song that was on it from Time which I thought was reminiscent of their good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Thought Say You Will was pretty good, much better than Behind The Mask and Time.

Tusk is my favourite album of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Not true. The album Beautiful Day was taken from, All That You Can't Leave Behind, is fairly mediocre alright, but the subsequent albums are all pretty strong - How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, No Line on the Horizon and Songs of Innocence all have plenty of cracking tunes. Songs of Experience was an over produced mess alright, but they can't be expected to deliver an album like The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tango in the Night was the last credible album from FM. And it makes sense, because Lindsey Buckingham left before it toured and stayed away for 12 years. In fact The Dance live album was the next, and last album that did any real business.

With Christine McVie having passed away, thats a line drawn under Fleetwood Mac for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

All very bland and forgetable but that's just my opinion.

Advertisement