Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud music from neighbours

Options
  • 31-05-2024 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Probably has been discussed before, but couldn't find anything, so any thoughts much appreciated.

The usual situation: Teenage kid playing loud bass music several hours a day. Talked to his mom, music stops until she leaves home and back at it. I have read the government's guide to noise regulations and I guess the only course of action is to go to District Court? My question would be how enforceable the court's decision would be (e.g. what happens if he keeps doing it).

At my wit's end as I'm working from home and that bass vibration coming through the walls is starting to affect me really bad. Soundproofing was looked into but it won't stop the vibrations (unless we spend >10k) and white noise machine didn't work, so not sure if there's any other option to be investigated before going to court.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,327 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ask her to buy him a set of headphones.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What time of the day is this occuring??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cyberia

Any time between 08:00 and 23:00. Couple of hours sessions at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

keep a record of everything - ie time of day the type of noise and most importantly how it impacted you - you’ll need that for a court case if going that route - there have been successful noise court cases in the past but not many publicised - it doesn’t look like this will stop - once you gather enough evidence talk to a solicitor - he they feel you have enough for a case, a solicitors letter might be the start and end of it if the mother has any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Ted222

Perhaps tell the mother first that if it doesn’t stop you’ll have to go the legal route. Might prompt her to take it a bit more seriously.

And she can’t accuse you of overkill if you do eventually go the legal route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What kind of music?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can underestimate legal restrictions at night, but 8am to 8pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Noise regulations cover that aspect from the point of view of repeated noise that causes distress /enjoyment of your home (can’t remember exact wording) in some way - hence the requirement to keep a record of the impact the noise had on you - playing loud music once a month for an hour or two may not necessarily be deemed a muscance - playing it every day most certainly will

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is next door a council house?

I had a similar noise issue and approached the local council who resolved it quickly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement