Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with assessing the current state of our plumbing

• 31-05-2024 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

We recently moved into a house built in 1931. In the next couple of weeks, if all goes well, we'll be having an electrician around to rewire the house. This is obviously going to be a messy operation and we're looking to see if anything needs to be done with the plumbing at the same time. With how expensive things are and our limited budget, I'm keen to not replumb simply for the sake of it. I've been back and forth with a plumber for the last few weeks who was due to drop around to take a look. He had to cancel a couple of times and eventually said that he wouldn't be able to make it around due to another job he was on.

He was able to take a look at some photos but wanted to lift some boards to take a closer look. So I've lifted the boards myself to expose some of the pipes. I'm attaching photos of various parts of the plumbing. There may be some I'm including that are not relevant but I figure the more the better. I'm hoping the knowledgable folks in Plumbing & Heating can help me to assess the current system and whether or not it needs to be replaced.

Some additional details

• all rads bar one are single panel
    • there is a combi boiler and pump, installed in 2020
    • all rads seem to heat evenly

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm not a plumber, but that all looks relatively new to me, 10 to 15 years max, and some parts are even newer. The date on the boiler will be a good clue. I'd be leaving that alone, no issues that I see in the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I don’t think I’d be doing anything drastic with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

The first thing that caught my eye is the lack of lagging on pipes under floor boards.

Advertisement