Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 4 Esker Hills - 22nd June 13:10

Options
  • 31-05-2024 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

And on we go to Round 4, heading for the half way point of the year! Famously Esker hills is Shane Lowry's home course and it's a great course. Esker Hills is regarded as one of Ireland's leading inland golf courses. It is a challenging championship golf course where no two holes are remotely alike. It is noted for its distinct links feel, superb sand-based greens, all-year playability and warm welcome.

It's a course the society have played a few times before. I think I've played it twice, once being a fairly memorable experience back in 2016 during @Golfgraffix year when it was a "bit breezy" and pretty wet.

Tee times are from 13:10 and booking will open next Monday with a cost of €35.

Alan.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to this one, as I never got around to Esker even when i lived in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

Great course.

Played it a good while back and all I remember is my ball going over a little hillock and when i went after it discovered the other side of the "little hillock" was about 10000 feet lower than where the fairway was..or at least it felt like that when i went to climb back up.

One for a buggy for my ancient bones😁

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Can't seem to book any slots. Is there a go live time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 weapon of grass destruction

I can't book any slots either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

7pm is the usual release time, I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

looking forward to this 1, I’ve always missed it when the society played it. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

June 22nd.

Booked in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 go1f

Also booked in. Tried a couple of times earlier on this evening and was getting the error mentioned above but looks to be working now.

Is someone having a roundy birthday this outing weekend

Rumour has it … That it is so

Or do I have the wrong outing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Snackbox20

Just booked in for this outing. Never played this course before, but really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

€35 is ridiculous money for esker hills. It's a terrific course and so much fun to play.

Unfortunately I can't see myself making this one. If I can somehow manage it I'll stick myself down the week of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Unless something drastic changes, I won't make this one either. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 scotty_golf9

booked in lads. Ive played there twice before, first time was back in 2019 after shane won the open. His dad was there that day with the jug and what a day that was. Hopefully it will be another good day

Just booked now. 1st slot.

For some reason i thought it was the 29th.

Have family do in kildare on 22nd so will need to rush away.

Hold my 1st prize for me..and the fiver Tiger 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Booked in also, looking forward to this one having missed the last one. New course for me, but heard lots of good things.

Good video of course for those who have yet to see this one. Me included..

50 odd mins .. Grab a beverage and enjoy…

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Sorbet

lot of doglegs by the look of it. Hope I make it to the corners!

A lot of dog legs and it would be useful to know your lines there. I played last year and lost 6 balls from the tee and would largely say that I drove well. But my advice would be....

1st hole - it does matter if you don't get the cut on your drive. Straight into the corner can be OB.

4th hole - it does matter if you don't get the cut on your drive here too. It won't run back down the hill on the left if you hit it over it.

12th hole - easy driving hole. Just don't hit it 45 degrees left into a forest.

13th hole - par 3, not a driving hole. But don't hit if off the hosel into the bushes on the left.

14th hole - signature hole, there's a white stone that I thought was the marker for where to aim. It is not. Aim left of it. And if you do lose one over it, don't hit another on the same line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

anyway, always remember it being a lovely course and one I'm looking forward to making a return to.

Was it the 10th hole that can be a risk reward if going for it with the driver? My distance is still decent but definitely not what it once was so will most likely be layup this time.

time sheet almost full I see so should be yet another great Boards.ie event

• Advertisement

Yep, that's the 10th. One of the lads I played with last year was off about 28 on the day. On the front 9 he'd had either 4 or 5 pars and still only managed about 17 points. He took out driver on 10 and I thought what is he thinking. He'd have the distance some of the time but the accuracy virtually none. Then he hit the ground as he teed off and I thought hopefully it'll work out as a perfect layup. The greens had just been sanded and it literally splashed on the green and left him about 12 feet for eagle. He got the bird. And still somehow he only managed low 30 points on the day.

It's a nice hole and not that long at all considering it's downhill too. If you have a fade I'd say it's easier to go for. Aim for the left bunker and hope it comes in. The left bunker is the best miss on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

Despite only being 30 or so minutes away I haven't played Esker Hills before so looking forward to it as I've heard a lot about it. It definitely seems to be a course where accuracy is rewarded vs power so not sure it is going to be the best fit for me. Course management is probably going to be key.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lived in Tullamore for over a year, and never played it (damn you COVID!). I'm playing poor golf at the moment, so i'll definitely be playing super conservative golf. 7i off every tee?

Though i am tempted to buy a new driver before it 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm waiting on delivery of a new set of irons & wedges

hoping to debut them in Esker…. I recall debuting a new driver there many years ago

been playing to much of late so not playing till Esker and hoping the bit of a break does me some good

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

I'm not available for this one unfortunately. Hope everyone enjoys the visit to Shane's home club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I hit a milestone the weekend we play Portarlington!, all welcome for beers!!!

I wish I was looking forward to going back to a course I know very well but I’m playing shocking bad golf lately, nervous over every shot except chipping and putting. Duffs, shanks, tops everything is going wrong.

Hopefully I can get some form for this event.

Dont forget the brollies.Tho could all change of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Last time played Esker with the Society it lashed rain on a number of occasions. Very heavy if I recall. Still looking forward to the day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 weapon of grass destruction

Never played here before, excited to see what it's all about. Just wondering how hilly is esker hills? Is it one for the buggy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus lads - early days to be doing a rain dance.

Advertisement