Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 4 Esker Hills - 22nd June 13:10

Options
124»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I hit mine straight into that bush on the left. 😊

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Esker is one of my favourite parkland courses in the country! I just love the place, the course and the welcome is second to none. I had the pleasure of playing with Sorbet, awec and our Captain Alanm on the day. Me and Alan go way back at this stage and its always a pleasure to watch him make the game look so easy at times or maybe frustrating 🤔 as my ball wont do the same thing! 😂

I really taught Sorbet was running a way with this as he was making easy pars on hard holes and with 2 shots! A bad back 9 really threw a spanner in the works but his game has greatly improved since the last time I played with him only a couple of months ago! He's moving in the right direction and after joining a club his HC will fly down. one to watch for sure!

Good to finally meet awec as he is a very active member on the golf forum and its always good to put a face to the user name 😂.. another golfer with a great swing hits a solid ball, direction was just off on the day and the frustration got to him on a few. In fairness I dont blame him.. His day will come though..

Alan was as solid as ever but at his level 1 simple mistake or bad hole really fcuks his score up! Levels.. but he never shows emotions good or bad, just laughs it off..

and then theres me 😂 I had to rush from my young lads birthday party. So was literally out of car onto the Tee but was lucky to be allowed play so cant complain.. I am working hard on my game and kinda going through a big of a small swing change which is Alien to me (basically using my lower body more) So it was a shakey start and irons were not great a lot of thins plus my distance control is way off. As I am starting to hit it a lot further.. Trust the process 😁 but I am seen signs. On the back 9 my woods really started to kick in and cream some drives .. I hit a lot of GIR on the day with short irons/wedges but unfortunately was on the wrong tier which caused a lot of 3 putts something I never do.. I even had two 4 putts 😱. If my putter worked like it should, I would of been in the mix so signs are there I think 😂🤞 but as always with boards a great day out and half way through the season already! Time flys when you are having fun!

See you all at the next one

B

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Esker is a fantastic course and very unique in its design. When you play it the 2nd time it's a completely different experience to know the lines for the blind shots.

Condition used to let it down but they've upped their game this year. You're guaranteed a warm welcome at the club.

14 is brilliant and the tiered green can be a nightmare if you get it wrong. Lots of memorable holes and a variety of conundrums on your first visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm heading there with a society in 2 weeks time. Did ye have buggies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

1 person took a buggie out...and they won the event.

Take from that what you will 😁

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO there is no need to take a buggy on this course unless you'd take one on other courses due to age or injury. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

The girl that won the women's amateur open carried her own bag. 5 rounds in 3 days I suppose. And beat all those with trolleys and caddies. Of course, she didn't beat bobster bombing about in his buggy. But sure you can only beat what's in front of you.

And the same person took one out in Bunclody last year and won too..what a coincidence😂

• Advertisement

@bluenote Absolutely..I can hardly be blamed for others deciding to walk.

But to prove the point I suppose I better win in Portarlington too then😁

I did and glad of it.

Others wished they had but are too macho to admit it😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

I've only played it once without a buggy and it was a fair slog (mild summer day). Mid-30s and relatively fit at the time but I still found it tiring. It's more undulating than most courses you'll play on. If you're tired after a normal 18, you'll be even more so on Esker. Take the buggy so the members can't whinge about societies blocking up the course 😂.

I think they usually do a good deal with societies on buggies so you'll get a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Apologies for the delay in posting the results…completely forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm too late now, no buggies available. Might try to borrow a few mobility scooters 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

As an FYI, they also don't have electric trolleys for rental, so that's not an alternative option if you normally push/pull a cart

Advertisement