Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead paint testing kit

Options
  • 31-05-2024 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone know of a reliable brand of a lead paint testing kit, and where to get it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apt username! 😃

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I never got one before, but if it was me I'd probably end up getting it off amazon.de and obviously select a seller and kit based on reviews. Some if the other kit suppliers can be a bit scaldy.

I'd also test the kit against a known good source, such as lead flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bad Chemicals

Sorry, I didn't get a notification so didn't know that anyone had replied. Thanks 10-10-20, yeah I was looking at Amazon but most have pretty bad reviews. Lots of false positives. You're right though, seems to be thes best bet.

Hello again, I managed to get two 3M lead testing kit (the ones in the link at the bottom). They came with lead sample cards, and they turned red with the sample cards so they seem to be OK.

I had 3 rooms to test the paint in. 2 out of 3 stayed firmly orange, no red or pink at all. The third though was a bit confusing / concerning. On the paint the dye stayed orange, but when I strayed to the plaster next to the paint, it went pink/red immediately. The plaster is a pinky colour. Would anyone know, could there be lead in the plaster, or could the colour of the plaster be giving a false positive?

The attached pictures are all from the same room.

3M Lead Check Swabs (Pack of 2), Instant Lead Test (LC-2S24C) https://amzn.eu/d/06aMXWo7

Thanks!

There isn't lead in plaster, it's gypsum. You could email the 3M technical team for confirmation.

• Advertisement

Thanks 10-10-20, that is what I figured, it was just odd that it went exactly the colour I didn't want to see.

I've just been checking exactly what gypsum is. I thought it was kind of naturally occurring stone, but am I wrong? One random message board states:

1. drywall is made of gypsum, and
    2. that gypsum is a re-used waste product made from the acid in the process of recycling lead acid bbatteries.

Is that true?

https://lead.org.au/q&a/2009/20090427.html

No, lead is a hazardous substance and while that may be done in some jurisdictions, it would not be allowed in Europe in recent times. But again, please raise it with 3M's technical team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shrugging Atlas

similar issue just cropped up for ourselves - ever get an answer Bad Chemicals??

Ok, found some info on what's happening here:

Sulfates present in drywall (gypsum) and plaster dust can interfere with 3M™ LeadCheck™ Swabs color
    development. It is possible with a minimum amount of care to accurately test for lead paint on plaster surfaces
    with 3M™ LeadCheck™ Swabs.

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Documents/4000//LeadCheck_Swab_Manual.pdf

So yes, those swabs are for testing paint when applied to drywall or plaster, but should not be used on the plaster itself as the agent will react to the sulphates (sulfates) present.

The correct testing method is documented in this video:

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much 10-10-20.

I did contact 3M directly but no response (so far).

OK, so it turns out that wall paint is least likely to have lead, the really dangerous areas are the wood trims - doors and doorframes, and skirtings, and even the wood stains that were used.

Has anyone any experience of lead in wood stain? The stairs, living room, and two bedrooms had reddish wood stain applied to the floors (we have no idea when) and I've run out of 3M lead tests to test them with, and can't get more. Of course, we've sanded them all, so the dust is absolutely everywhere by now. Anyone know how worried we need to be about this? I've managed to find a company who will come out and test them (for a hefty fee) in a few weeks, but for now, should we just move out?

Just vacuum up with a hepa filter and paint over the potentially affected areas? I don't think any guidance is telling you otherwise?

Hello 10-10-20 yes, but it's been months since we did it. We've potentially been inhaling this stuff for months.

I'm wondering, does anyone know definitively whether wood stain is likely to have had lead pre 1980. There's not much we can do about it now, but I'm just wondering how worried we should be?

Lead in the air generally due to the potential proximity to lead based paints, or from sanding dust directly? I ask because lead doesn't vapourise and concentrate or leach into the surroundings from paint etc, it would need to be transferred directly by consuming (licking, ingesting) or inhaling (dust). It's highly unlikely to be picked up from contact with the paint if the paint has been over-coated with a non-lead paint, and even then the rate of absorption through dermal contact is low. But this isn't medical advice!

Anyway, given your level of concern you obviously need to engage that professional company for advice on whether you need to isolate from the premises. No randomer on the internet can answer those specific questions. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

afaik lead wouldn't be in wood stain but it depends on what you mean by wood stain.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement