Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic party wall

Options
  • 31-05-2024 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I am selling the house. Old 150year plus terrace house. There are no party walls in the attic space. This has come up in the building survey and means the buyer cannot get home insurance for fire reasons until it’s sorted so we need to fix this.

Does anyone know if simple fireproof felt would be sufficient for this role and would we need some kind of sign off prior to home insurance being granted or would we need someone with specific fire protection credentials to do the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A building engineer would advise but typically stud work with suitable fire rated plasterboard would suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

try a different insurance company …

every house on the road has insurance..

This house is being sold so really the work needs doing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭FazyLucker

We got the party wall built up (blocks) to the roof level as part of a roof project. I accept this is different to your scenario.

I was advised that an option was getting a fire rated stud wall (as the poster above says, stud with I think 2 sheets of plasterboard if I remember right, intumescent seals, etc) but my fear with that is that you'd end up having to re-do the plasterwork in years ahead. But for you it will get you over the issue. I believe it isn't easy though, I think in particular close to the eaves it can be really difficult to do it properly due to the physical space required to do it properly. And its not like you can have a little gap and it doesn't matter, it matters very much.

BTW - get a building surveyor or fireproofing engineer advice here. When we were getting quotes for the roof, we got everything from 1 roofer saying "ah yeah we'll throw that stud wall in" as if they were giving it as a free extra to the "roof repair" job he was promising. How they were doing it was unclear without removing the whole roof - there was no access to the roof space without removing the slates - something I had already told him of. (I would have questioned him but I was absolutely sure he was not getting the job despite him claiming to be on the National Guild of Master Craftsmen, something a quick Google search disproved!). My point is, there are absolute chancers out there in this space so make sure you get a decent contractor and make sure they know it will need to be certified by a building surveyor before they get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

Thanks for replies all very useful.

So, I'll look at getting fire proof stud walls fitted. Is best option to find a tradesperson to do this by posting on something like onlinetrademen.ie do you think? ITs a small enough job so just wonder how challenging it would be to find someone interested in it.

• Advertisement

If it was mine, I'd get Engineer to spec the stud and plasterboard detail including all Junctions then get a builder to price the job off engineers spec in the knowledge that the work will be inspected for certification purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The purchasers' engineer will probably want a sign off per Mick above. So best get an engineer or architect to spec and sign off.

This is a very simple task. Single skin of block or a plasterboard wall.

Then firestop around the top and edges.

Only problem could be phisically getting the sheets of board to the compartment wall.

Most builders who do extensions etc can sort.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

look into gyproc/saint gobain fire rated frame systems. Timber stud or metal stud. If you have access into next door then you can do it together and if not you may need a shaft wall system that can be erected from your side. Up to 240 minute fire resistance can be achieved and these are good enough for compartmentation in large residential units so be more than adequate your use.

you then may need to pack the too with a fire batt or wool material to follow the slop of the roof.

These are standard details but you may need an engineer involved just to specify it on paper and sign off once complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

Thanks for all the replies.

Can anyone PM me any engineers or builders who would be able to do this type of job? House is in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RobbieGroncz

Hi, I’m presume you’re looking for 60 min to achieve fire rating in ur party wall,instead built stud wall in there -needs done cavity barrier for smoke and fire -coz u have limited space,and this is all tested detail in your attic spaces for compartment walls ,need contact fire protection company,there is loads in dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement