Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

lovely evening out there very pleasant indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Banarol

I was pleasantly surprised today. It felt warm in the sun here in Mid Tipp. A good day for being out and getting the jobs done and getting a colour.As Cleudo said waiting for a hot spell is a fools game. If it does arrive it usually lasts less than 10 days before it breaks down and then the crying starts again. There will probably be plenty of days 17 to 20 degrees days once we get the unsettled spell out of the way. Those are the days to make the most of.I like 30 plus degrees as much as the next person but I’m not going to wish away the Summer waiting for it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Exactly....

Giving out about the weather simply not going to get you anywhere. It is what it is, like it or hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goingmadted

Why the fck would you like 30 plus degrees? You must be spanish or south american or something.

There cant be any irish person that would like anymore than a day of that type of heat.

Today was almost perfect, just maybe 1 or 2 degree higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Being told it was one of the warmest springs on record was like looking at black car and being told it was a white car. For all intents and purposes it was most certainly not a warm spring and yet apparently there is some way of measuring warmth that contradicts what my own senses were telling me.

Fast forward to summer and all I can say is that it is chilly and fresh every day, needing a jacket in the shade but from time to time the sun is warm once it is not windy, which has been rare. It feels a bit sad that the longest day is coming up really soon but summer feels a few weeks away yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Actually I looked at the CFS a few times and it showed cool and unsettled plus with end of El Nino and heights building in the Arctic and lower max temperatures than previous years.

It will likely pick up in part 2 of Summer I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

If you were out regularly cycling at 6am you'd realize it was mild in April/May. No need for heavy winter gear

Zero frost worries for gardeners in April and may (very unusual)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

I'd say there are plenty of Irish people who'd like that "type of heat." Jam packed planes heading south and Ryanair able to charge what they like on the popular Med routes would indicate as such. And back home I'd say people would like more than just a degree or 2 higher than mid teens in mid June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Farming commentary.

Over this past week rainfall below average everywhere except for Malin head with 16.9m which is close to normal. South was drier with roches point recording 0.4mm. (<5% of the climatological average).

Air temperatures have been below normal. 1 to 2.5c below normal.

Sunshine above average. The highest amount of sunshine was 52.6 hours, recorded at Casement Aerodrome.

For the next 7 days.
    Rainfall is forecast to be near or above normal over the next seven days, as the weather turns more unsettled. Highest amounts of 35 to 40mm are forecast in Connacht.

Air temperatures are forecast to remain 1 or 2 degrees below normal during the next week, with mean values of 11 to 13 degrees expected. Soil temperatures are generally near or above average at the moment.

Sunshine. The weather will be more unsettled over the next week, so sunshine amounts are likely to be closer to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭JVince

Very easy to deal with it for 10-14 days when you are holiday in a coastal resort with a bit of a sea breeze, easy access to airconditioned places, no work and plenty of time in cool water. Even then its usually an average 25 degrees in these coastal areas with the higher 30 degrees for a couple of hours in early afternoon.

A constant 30+ degrees would very quickly become unbearable for most Irish people

A high of 22-24 is the magic number for me as the perfect summer's day here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Grey, Dark, Wet & Chilly.

Nice to see some of the xmas trees up on my walk this morning, festive mood about….oh wait………

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yesterday reached 16.7c in Sligo making it our "warmest" day of the "Summer" so far 12 days in. Might move up a tad in the sunshine between showers some of the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

No frosts indeed but very poor growth in my garden and polytunnel.

Nice day yesterday. As for this morning? Wet.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

chucking it down in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Kids at home studying when you have to put the heating on during the day in June you know our weather is fooked up 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Constant heavy rain in carrigaline, Cork since early AM. Supposed to die off around 12/1pm. Cloudy from there, temps 16c feels like 11c.

Comment on summer so far - just cold, especially when clouded over and sun not out. Today - bleak, grey, wet so far.

Yesterday was the best day here by far this summer so far. the way it should be. Not much cloud, sun out and generally warm. Big contrast to today. A once off so far

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

It absolutely was a warm spring but was incredibly wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Awful weather here in Dublin…you'd really start thinking of moving abroad. Bar some decent days in May and the June bank holiday weekend it has been a disappointing summer so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep some of schools have put heating on during the exams as the students are so cold!

So dark this morning for mid June, a miserable day the only good thing you can say about it was it was well forecast so I'd say a few schools moved their sports day to suit.

I pity any primary school kids on their school tour today in that weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My heating is on a thermostat, I don't turn it on/off seasonally. It's a third the way into June and it's still coming on.every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I can't remember a June, and i mean going back 30 odd years were it has felt this cold over a period of a number of days.

Although, i'm not one for re-collecting mediocrity generally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

When the rain clears up and with lighter winds over the weekend together with the cold air and the sun now at its strongest...the showers over the weekend could be very bad if we get enough sun in between them.. thunder possible downpours...a very bad combination of strong sun cold air and light winds...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thoroughly miserable morning in N Kildare. Heavy spells of rain at times and pretty blustery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The rain looks to be clearing quicker than forecast so hopefully the afternoon and evening will be a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It will feel very warm in the sun over the weekend despite the cold air....the cold air will make the sky alot clearer so it could actually feel even warmer even though the temperatures will not be high...in between the showers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Wet and blustery in Celbridge/Maynooth. Some heavy showers, but there are longer dry spells in between than I expected, so not quite as bad as I was prepared for.

I finally bought a patio furniture set yesterday, having moved in 18 months ago, so you can be sure that's the end of any hopes for our summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Needmoretea

It's quite windy out today in Dublin. It's like what you would get in early spring. I have tried to resist putting on the heating and am sticking to warm winter clothes. If any of you have control over the weather, I would like a few days of 22 - 24 degrees and some sun, would be ideal :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A miserable wet morning here in Meath, afternoon should dry up.

• Advertisement

Rain all day, non stop. Very windy and feeling cool. (Of course off work today)

Advertisement