Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭V6400

Try moving a bit west or north from Dublin, the kids wont need a pool, they can just splash about in the puddles. Dubs should not be permitted to complain about the month they're getting when you look at how other parts of the country are faring out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's the fourth full moon in a season, that's the original definition of a blue moon. The second full moon in a calendar month as a blue moon was a mistake and eventually it became an alternative for the definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

The more interesting and shocking fact about this Bluemoon however is the amount of comments i have read about how people actually thinking the Moon turns the colour blue during this rare event 😁

It's the same with every single one of these blue moons. Happens all the time. Same with the full moon names, especially April full moon which is called the Pink Moon and not because the moon is pink but because it occurs during a month where springtime wildflowers typically bloomed.

I've had these kinds of comments in real life of people waiting there for the moon to turn blue and I have to tell them what it actually means 🤨

I don't know how you have the patience to reply back to some of the comments to your posts on IWO 🤣 I do get a chuckle anyway if it makes you feel better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Some heavy rain after midnight in Lucan. Dry and sunny today, but very windy. A fair few big branches down around the place this morning and it looks like leaf raking season has begun a lot earlier than expected. My brown bin has been filled already this morning from my front garden.

Edit: I spoke too soon, the drizzle on the breeze (wind) that has plagued us throughout August has arrived. So sunny, windy, and damp.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Lucan obviously gets a lot different weather to Dublin judging on the reports here recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

Dublin looks to be getting showers today, just like most of the country, going by the radar imagery from a few minutes ago.

Some heavy showers passing over in Trim as well today, with sunny spells in-between but with a very strong and gusty cool wind.

There looks to be widespread showers mooving across Dublin at the moment, some of them moderate in intensity. Looking upwind to the west, it would look like many parts of Dublin will be getting moderate to heavy showers shortly.

Comparing weather conditions at the 13:00 reports, between my nearest Met Eireann station at Dunsany and Casement (the closest Met station to Lucan, the reports are very similar.

Lucan is in Dublin. Yes, it's close to the Kildare border but county wise, it's either Dublin or else it's not Dublin. There's no in-between as to what county Lucan is located in. In any case, @Hippodrome Song Owl's description of today's weather in his/her part of Dublin seem to be very believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking glorious in Dublin City Centre now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’m lucky enough to currently be abroad. I see the NW took the brunt of the rain yesterday. When I read the fc a couple of days ago it had the SE as worst affected

• Advertisement

It certainly seems to be a bit different to the reports of the lovely August elsewhere in the county, but I think most of Dublin has showers today. I work mostly outdoors and got wet more days than not this month. Breezy drizzle may not lead to much accumulations, but you still get wet.

Yes Lucan village is in Dublin. I live within 500m of the Kildare border as the crow flies (most convenient town is Celbridge) and my family home lies less than 100m from the Kildare border on the other side of Lucan (most convenient town being Leixlip). An Post also does not always agree with the County Councils - my family home falls into to this category. Lucan Co Kildare and Leixlip Co Dublin is a thing.

I also work outdoors most days around Clondalkin, Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge, and Maynooth, so I may refer to Dub/Kildare if I'm moving out and about around the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Very heavy rain showers in the dunboyne area.
    Quite warm aswell.
    I wonder will there be any thunder/lightning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

These squally showers are very particular where they land . My son cycled home from work at lunchtime and was complaining about the wind against him .

Here a few kms away we had just had the mist horrendous downpour which had cleared to sunshine ground soaked ..he got none of that !

Looking at this with interest as we have a family occasion and it would need to be dry at the least that weekend 🤞

Child of Prague territory , I think ?

The sunshine difference in Lucan is very believable. Given your location inland, you will almost always be worse than say my location on the door of the coast due to the sea breeze which whilst keeping the coast relatively cool in temperature gives more sunshine. Cumulus forms inland from daytime heating, to greater or less extent depending on the airmass, time of year and weather pattern. Thicker cloud may also give you the drizzle that the coast might not have.

This is reflected in averages. You are more in the 1300-1400 range whilst the immediate coast might be 100+ more hours on average sunnier but here it is also windier and cooler.

Anecdotally agrees with this too and often find myself going from a sunny Donaghmede to a cloudier Blanchardstown to Clondalkin and then sunshine breaking out again as you get past Ballymount.

I was reading of some bizarre English/Scottish trend just yesterday of burying a sausage to ensure good weather. Perhaps the statue and the sausage to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

Interesting that the Aran Islands are sunnier than a good chunk of Dublin. I'd guess mostly from the spring/early summer months where a slack westerly or north westerly can give near unbroken sunshine on the west coast with cloud only bubbling up a few km inland. Those April showers type days in particular can be great days right on the west coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Mini climate on all three islands. Forecast is rarely accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

⚠️Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway and Mayo⚠️

Unseasonably strong and gusty south to southwest winds, coinciding with very high tides and heavy rain. Potential impacts are most likely in western parts of counties.

Valid: 19:00 Wednesday to 02:00 Thursday 22/08/2024

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A very autumnal day here in Meath, cool, breezy and have had several very heavy showers.

• Advertisement

What sort of sausage ..pork or haggis ?!😂

I will try it anyhow .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Lights on at 9am on an August morning, Grey, bleak, lashing rain and howling winds... Never seen a summer like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I would say we are officially in Autumn now, even if the sun and blue skies return the season has changed, the leaves, the colour of sun, height of sun, feeling in the air, length of days etc. Summer 2024 is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

V cold wind on the bike this morning in Central Dublin. Summer we hardly knew you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Agree. As a keen gardener I always find middle of August is the start of a change.(but I love the autumn colours so not complaining) Especially as most of our August's tend to be poor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pauldry

There was no dry spell in Sligo this Summer. The longest dry spell was about 24 hours. This is the first time this has ever happened in my life. So for consecutive dry and sunny days this is the worst Summer EVER.

Chilly morning. All round pretty crap summer nearing its end. 14c N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gilly1910

It hasn't been a bad August if you have a very low bar, we've had a few decent days here and there, but no sustained periods of really nice weather. Last year we had a sustained period of lovely weather in late May/June although this was primarily in the West and midlands, this year we have had no sustained periods of really good weather. So a pretty average Summer at best, but if you're basing our Summer on the fact that it's been relatively dry, then it hasn't been too bad at all. So depends really on what floats your boat weather wise, we're all different.

I care diddly squat for total rainfall totals. Only stats that count for me during the summer months is total hours of sunshine. It could stay dry for the whole of the summer, but it is totally irrelevant to me if there is a blanket of cloud and/or a fresh/strong breeze/wind the majority of the time.

On a relative enough point to our weather, i had my annual GP check up fairly recent, did the full shebang with blood tests, all great results with the exception was my Vit D was slightly low…………

Anyway, i'm not one for nagativity in general, it s what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Completely agree on the sunshine element. Don't care about temperatures within reason but if it's cloudy it doesn't make a difference if it's 10 degrees or 30 it isn't really pleasant. That has been the staple of this summer for me the complete lack of decent spells of sunshine and I've found it quite depressing as a result, especially now facing into autumn.

Also total rainfall tells very little of the story. If you could have 1mm of rain every day, or 30mm fall during a couple of days of thunderstorms but 28 days of sunshine preceding it then, that's two very different months weather wise but statistically the same in terms of rainfall.

Advertisement