Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Yep, stats, depending on how you look at them can be as useful or as useless as you want.

You could have the wettest summer of all time….but when did the rain fall. It could rain from midnight until 6am every night, but who cares? Everyone is asleep.

It's been mentioned before regarding some warmest months on record and people are dubiuos to the claims. But a lot of them months it was because of the high minimums, and not the high max temp . As i said, stats

Anyway, i don't want to digress too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Might be a bit squally early tomorrow morning as that front passes through but have seen worse.

Thursday night/Friday morning also looks wet in the south especially

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was 9c yesterday when I got up for work, and 10c this morning. Quite cold when getting out of the shower, so it looks like the heating will soon be on in the mornings.

OH had it on for an hour last night. Think this was 1st time it was on over the summer months.

Yip, summer is gone by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So it appears there'll be rain everyday for the foreseeable future? Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Cool, cloudy, and windy in Celbridge and Maynooth this morning. Very light rain almost continuously - the ground isn't getting wet, but the windows and my hair are. I had to sleep in socks last night, but I would feel crazy putting on the heat this soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another wet day here in Leitrim. 12C but feels colder in the wind.

Bought Oil and coal today. Deary me.

I'm a heat merchant HippoD. The heat has been on a number of times the last few days.

No Indian summer this September?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You can still get sufficient Vit D on cloudy days without direct sunlight. It's UV light that produces Vit D. You may need to spend more time outdoors to get what you need. Fish is also great for it hence the fish rich diets in northern areas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That's a fair point Cleudo. I haven't spent as much time outdoors as usual this summer regardless of the weather, although the lack of sunshine may have been a mitigating factor on my willingness to do so.

Fish is another great shout! Might pick up a couple of cod fillets for dinner now you mention it. Poach in some milk, salt and pepper, some creamy mash with parsley and a nice white sauce. Jobs a good'un

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭squarecircles

THE HIGH PRESSURE AND WARMTH IS BANG on schedule from the start of september, as usual, just when iv booked to fly away, this has been a concsistent signal for some time now on the gfs, warm settled weather in some form at the start of next month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've had that feeling since mid June that the first week of September could produce our warmest and most settled spell of the year. This seems to be an almost annual thing at this stage, glorious summer weather as soon as all the schools reopen and the fact that I'm flying away for 2 weeks to Spain from the 28th of August. Most years I go to Spain I miss out on great weather in Ireland this happened in 2013 when the very decent heatwave that summer clashed perfectly started the day before I left and ended the day before I flew home. Still a bit to go with this one but it's gaining more and more support in the models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pauldry

With both Belmullet and Newport and possibly Markree and Finner set to get 200mm of rain this August it's right up there with the worst Summers for everything here in the NW but for number of cold days and nights in June here in Sligo I haven't really seen one the compares. The West did better than us but hopefully it'sjust a one off Arctic Summer for Sligo. Arctic coz Svalbard in the Arctic had a max of 20.6c this Summer and in Sligo wer only at tad more at 23c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think in general the North West is more of an outlier compared to most of the rest of the country this August. It certainly sounds a lot better in the East, and certainly rainfall totals seem to be a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway City Council close Salthill car parks due to strong SW and very high tides due 19:15

We need to book you a one way ticket out of here fom June Gonzo if that's how your weather luck rolls.

Anyway, outside at the moment is something November would be proud of. Very blustery, grey and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yes

The past week has been wetter than normal in Connacht, west Ulster and the far southwest with rainfall accumulations between 130% and 220% of average. It was wettest in the northwest with 52.9mm recorded at Knock Airport, Co. Mayo. It was considerably drier across the rest of the country with rainfall accumulations between 30% and 90% of average. The driest conditions were in the east with just 6mm recorded at Dublin Airport. The week ahead will be unsettled with spells of heavy rain and showers possible. Rainfall amounts will be above normal nationwide as a result, with accumulations between 120% and 285% of average.

Soil moisture deficits (SMDs) are generally between 40 and 75mm in the east and south with some restriction to growth. However, soils are saturated in the west and northwest, with some moderately and poorly drained soils in the northwest waterlogged. With unsettled weather forecast next week, soil conditions will deteriorate further across the west, northwest, and parts of the far southwest with saturated or waterlogged conditions expected. SMDs will remain highest in the east and southeast but will decrease to between 10 and 65mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

That ties in with the fact that Dublin is technically drier than the likes of Lisbon and Rome when purely looking at millimetre totals! As you say it rarely tells the full story when so much of our normal rain is windy drizzle that barely registers in the rain gauges whereas in continental climates they can get a seasons worth of rain in a couple of thunderstorms.

I think number of days, or even number of hours with rain recorded would give a better picture of how wet or dry it's been. In fact out of boredom I just quickly counted up the number of dry days recorded this summer vs last summer at Dublin airport

The complete washout of a summer in 2023 - 29 dry days

This 'very dry' summer - 35 days

Really not that different, which confirms my own impression that while totals have been low this summer there's been loads of days with drizzle blowing in the wind and no real dry spell of any note. It's obviously been nowhere near as bad a summer as last year but windy, grey and drizzly is how I'll remember this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very autumnal in Cork this evening. On dull evenings like today you can really see the evenings closing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

There has been a real change in weather in last two days in Dublin.

We were all cold at football training last night, note to the parents to put the shorts away and get out the coats again!

I was outdoors all day and needed a hoodie and light raincoats as very chilly in that wind.

Looks like autumn is here, bye bye summer 2024 we won't remember you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

The thing about nice weather in Sept is that it's never the same.

The kids are all back in school so no use unless it's weekend and even if it's an absolute scorcher, it gets cold and darker a lot sooner in Sept then at the height of summer.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll happily take a few more nice days, but just saying not the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Don't know if it's safe to put out the bins here! Some strong gusts in the past half hour. Very dark and dreary this evening after a pretty miserable damp and cool day. My cat is nervous of the wind and has refused to go further than the back door step since Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Thank feckin god for this. Experienced a noticeable dip into a seasonal-depression-like mood today. Very dark and windy. Need a spell of sunshine for a few days in September to lift the spirits before we head into winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Rugbyf565

yep v dreary, been indoors the whole day.

Feel like Hagrid looking out the window:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Shank Williams

didn’t happen last year the misery was almost uninterrupted from July on

Sorry replying to the we always get a good spell in September posts

Thankfully no sign of the predicted strong winds up here in inishowen.

Relatively calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PixelCrafter

It’s quite windy in Cork City for the couple hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very high tide in Galway just after 7pm. No flooding. Breezy with spitty rain now but not too bad.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

it did. Around September 10 th it got really hot for a few days.

As for vitamin d - it’s hard to get enough from diet. You’d need to eat a lot of oily fish. You should take a Supplement from October to April.

Advertisement