Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I would be the same. May, June and July were nice and dry but August has been too wet. My local golf course has already brought in placing on the fairway because the ground is soft again. It was playing perfectly from May-July. I adore Autumn so looking forward to it. A week of high pressure and sun in September would be mighty for swimming/snorkeling.

The warm May, Aurora night and Lightning storm will live long in the memory.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Love Autumn myself when we get a particular type of seasonal weather by that I mean cool dry and sunny autumnal weather not the wet and windy type of autumnal weather. Especially around Halloween is one of my favourite times of the yr. Hopefully the colours this autumn will be better then last yr as last yr was very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. I don't mind it not being too hot as long as I can get out do a bit of hiking and like a bit of warmth for sea swimming.

Found it too wet and cold this summer until this month here in Dublin .

One or two weeks in the Summer months sustained sun without strong winds 22 or 23 degrees is not too much to ask for !

Don't mind if we now get it in September at all but so many people can't enjoy it with school and work commitments unless it falls in holiday time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

outside of a few on this weather forum I don’t know of anyone happy with this summer unless they spent large amounts of it abroad. Absolute shambles from start to finish. May June and July were certainly not nice in my humble opinion the majority of the time it was cool cloudy and windy. Dry maybe but back to the bar being so low. August has had a few nice days not fantastic or anything and probably seem better than they were given what we’ve had. But calling this summer nice……Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the constant cloud really got to me this "summer", it's so low most of the time too. just bloody depressing knowing that basically the rest of the feckin' world gets some kind of a summer apart from us and parts of the UK.

• Advertisement

I have noticed leaves falling already but they mainly seem to be ash leaves from the poor suffering ash trees. The dieback is causing them to fall early even when green and healthy looking.

Many weather factors impact the Autumn colours from all accounts. The record warm May helped my own trees get off to a good start but the lack of rainfall in May/June probably didn't help general tree health. I planted 40+ new trees and bushes this year and went for species that provide colour. We shall see.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain just arriving here on the Kerry coast, light atm, what has been showing up so far on the radar not making it to the ground, only mist/ drizzle if anything. 14.9C

Plenty of leaves and twigs down from last night wind .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Gone as dark as a pit outside. The prelude to what looks like being bucket loads of rain in the next couple of hours. As Kanye said. A total crap summer. So forgettable it's almost unforgettable for that non-stop grey shite above us on an hour to hour, day to day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

UK met office mentioning a low chance of up of to 80mph for england

Whilst there remains some uncertainty about the details, some very strong winds are likely to develop, with gusts widely in the 50 to 60mph range, with a lower chance that a small core of winds gusting 65-75 mph, perhaps 80 mph, could push quickly east during the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Spilling rain Galway City:(

14⁰

• Advertisement

The stats from Dangan on the Corrib show how much the water levels have risen in August. From 95th percentile to above 50th. And that river is controlled by the gates at the Salmon Weir.

Realtime waterlevel

Mace Head is nearing the average rainfall for August (82 v 117) whereas it was hitting 50-60% of average since April. The dry spell was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭acequion

I arrived from Spain to Kerry a few hours ago and jesus but is this crap really for real!! 😱 There are just no words to describe how culture shocking to board a plane in summer warmth and to disembark to this! I shouldnt be so shocked,should be used to it etc etc but it's just the pits! What a god awful climate we're cursed with in this country!😩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I would say in the last 72 hours it has been raining for 65 of them here in south Armagh absolutely shocking few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The thunderstorms we had recently saved this summer from being a total crapfest for me. If we do get a settled spell in early September let's hope there is a thundery breakdown to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A thundery breakdown in September would be a first. They are usually preserved for mid Summer and of course recent climate means its confined to history anyway. When last did bay of Biscay storms move up from France?? Older members will understand what I mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A few years ago we had storms come up from Biscay. Although I agree they are rarer these days.

Also a good thundery episode doesn't necessarily need to be storms moving up from Biscay. We had some great night time storms last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭pad199207

October 2022 was brilliant for a plume event surprisingly

Jesus what a night. Late October/November vibe off it. Horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Dreadful day in Kerry, spent the day in Dingle with non stop rain. Not looking forward to the storm later tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Went out and bought wood for the stove and lit it for the first time since may , awful day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's grim af. Dark before 9. I am regretting some life choices right now wishing I had stayed living abroad.

At least in the non "summer" months you aren't hoping for summer weather, for me it's by far the worst so called season in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭esposito

This is the first evening where I’m really feeling the Autumn vibe ( yeah I know most of this summer has felt like Autumn) The fact it got dark so early accompanied with the rain has made me feel a bit depressed.

Can the weather gods give us an interesting winter (by interesting I mean sustained cold period) to make up for this boring uneventful summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think you know the answer to that question 😆

Assuming we will see cold Winters going forward is very much fantasy. Of course they can happen, but the trend is very much the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭acequion

I 100% identify with you there TM. But life choices are not so simple as we'd like, so many variables, and just not so easy to live where we really want to be living. Some day.🤞 I keep hoping!

Agree too re "summer" being the absolute worst in Ireland. I find it much easier to settle here outside the May-Sept period, a lot less expectations. Though as a winter enthusiast, I'm usually disappointed there too, but nowhere near as much as in the so called "summer."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The winds picking up now in Cork City.

It's not even a proper storm in this non eventful 2024. Ah, I'll take it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Chatting with a Donegal man earlier in the pub, he said at least we got a good few runs of nice days, but Donegal has had an awful summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Thorny Queen

God we really haven't up here. The weather has only turned to depressing mode in the last 2 weeks with the relentless rain. Prior to that, weather was mostly very good and mostly didn't stop me getting out and about with the children.

I now would officially moan and groan about this **** weather as it is cold and we have had 5 non stop days of rain since Saturday, bar Sunday when the weather was glorious and we had a beach day.

Post edited by Thorny Queen on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

You know what they say it's the hope that kills you!

I would agree, summer is the worst season in Ireland, really at any other time of year if it's not raining I'm delighed, that's how low the bar is in Ireland😁

Advertisement