Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh, something went bang. Not in a bad way.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Does anyone know of explanations/reasons for all of this long term stormy weather? What weather patterns have we been experiencing these last two years?

Spring & summer 2024 and summer 2023 felt just like constant heavy wind, dark clouds and rain. Then every 2 weeks we’d very randomly get a 22-24 degrees day of pure sunshine but it would rarely last beyond 48 hours, within 3 days you’d be sure of a heavy downpour coming your way.

Part of the pain of the current Irish weather system I feel is that our ‘heat waves’ are not actually heat waves—instead they’re like anomalies in our weather system; very short periods where the island has managed to go unscathed by Atlantic winds and rain. Not an indication of an actual spell of good weather but just a short pause/break in play from the bad.

It’s like we’re stuck on that cursed island from Robert Egger’s horror with Willem Dafoe as the light keeper—The Lighthouse — a perpetual slog of heavy downpours, strong gusts of wind blowing through the shutters in your house and dark days & nights where you’re left peering outside your window feeling out of touch with reality. It’s as if there’s no end to the bad weather in sight because it didn’t really feel like summer ever really got started in the first place.

I do echo also what other posters in here have said above; September to October is simply a more pleasant time to experience the outdoors in Ireland because—despite the lower temps—we finally appropriate amounts of sunshine, a break from the rain and the wind finally dies down a good bit and you get some still air to breath in.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

For me I'd still say summer is probably my favorite season overall even with the almost guaranteed disappointment. Late October (literally from the day the clocks change) until Christmas is by far my least favorite time of year as I absolutely hate both getting up and finishing work in darkness, at least after Christmas you can start measuring the lengthening days but before Christmas I just find bleak.

In a normal year I'd say late spring / early summer either side of the solstice is the best time of year followed by late summer / early autumn. October - April I find is just a write off most years, too unpleasant to spend much time outside and rarely anything interesting other than the odd storm or brief cold snap which for the most part also means being stuck inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

hows the winds around the country picked up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Centre of the low is over Dublin currently, extremely heaving rain here in carrick for about half an hour then back to moderate rain , currently 11c and rain seems to be easing off now some what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

in Dingle this morning. A grand morning. Was rough for a while last night I think we’ll have to be flexible according to weather over weekend.

Had three weeks in France this summer so I feel ok now in terms of sunshine hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mostly a rain event in SW Laois, I wasn't woken by any wheelie bins taking off. It will be interesting to see a playback of where the low tracked. Bit of a shock to the system as I only came home from France yesterday where we had weeks of tropical nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭4Ad

Very calm in East Clare over night..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭OldRio

Blue skys and Sun at the moment. 10C. Ground is saturated after all the rain. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Needmoretea

Seems like there was a lot of heavy rain accross the country last night going by the radar. I woke up about 3.30 and it was windy and raining but it might have been a squall. It did sound wild for a while! Sunny and cool this morning in Dublin. A real autumn-y feel 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sunny in Dublin but I can't believe it's actually this cold in August!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like quite a tame affair overnight overall, got up to 96 Km on the Cork coast but a lot lighter overland.

Windy and wet here near Tralee overnight, must have a look at the gauge later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Lashed for several hours during the night.

Bright, breezy & cool this morning. 13c, N, Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

More rain here on the east coast of Dublin in the past 16 hours than the entire month of August up to that point.

15.8mm since 1800 yesterday at Dublin Airport. Had just 11.8mm up to the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭esposito

Don’t worry. Almost certain we’ll get a nice plume in September, for two days max! Never lasts long in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pauldry

Or 2 hours as has been the case in Sligo this season (no point in calling "that" Summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

Grey, windy and cold in Dublin, it's been touch and go for leaving the house in a t-shirt all week but this is the first day since probably mid-July where it's definitely too cold for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Never ending breeze continues to be never ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Very cold, North Wicklow, but dry and sunny.

Which is absolutely fine to be honest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

18.5c in my part of North Wicklow (Greystones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Damp, breezy day in West Clare. Temp around 14.5c. As miserable a late summer's day as you could get.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Summer2020

absolutely lashing rain here south Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Monsoon sheeting rain in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Between yesterday and the overnight rainfall, coupled with today's deluges , I think l've experienced the wettest spell all summer here in Meath. The ground has gone from being rock hard to quite soft already.

I hope there's a settled spell in September as showing on some charts, but it's very temperamental at this stage. Remember last September's hot first week was followed quickly by deluges for the remainder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A terrible summer.

Was just thinking how often we had the outdoor table and chairs out this year, which usually appear as soon as there is any decent sunshine and spell of dryness.

Think it's been 3 or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

honestly can’t understand the defence of this summer by some. It’s brutal. This evening cold showery and of course that f-ing wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Christ almighty stupid kip of a place can't even go for a jog without getting drenched and near hypothermia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’m talking about my part of the country here (I know other parts were very wet) but it just shows that a dry summer can be quite poor and ‘24 was cool and dull which in my book is a rather poor summer.
    Meanwhile, just had a brief downpour and it got so dark I was expecting a rumble of thunder which never came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People are actually saying this was a good summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Rugbyf565

30,000 Americans in Dublin today are getting 14 degrees and rain in late summer, you have to feel for them

Advertisement