Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain has cleared Galway, feeling very warm and humid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

Power flickering in south Wicklow, like a late Autumnal storm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

It was fairly wild for a time this morning in Cork harbour, whereas now it's mostly calm again. The plants will have loved the downpours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was also very windy in NCD yesterday evening. I came out of work and the sun was lovely but when I got home and out of the car the wind actually took my breath away it was that cold!

We only got a high of 15 degrees yesterday so it certainly wasn't nice for mid June!

The only plus with this weather is the plants and tree I bought at weekend will be grand, no need to water them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I can - as recently as 2019. Had 3 days with a max temp under 12 degrees in June 2019. The lowest June 2024 has seen is 13.9C. (Dublin Airport data)

Speaking of which, I did stats on the coolest first halves (1st-15th) of June on record in Ireland since 1967 back then. Let's revisit them and see where 2024 stands as of the 12th. It's currently the 10th coolest in that regard with 2019, 2015 and 2011 having been colder this century so far.

1972 10.3C

1987 10.6C

1991 11.1C

2019 11.1C

1977 11.2C

2015 11.3C

1985 11.3C

2011 11.6C

1974 11.7C

2024 11.7C

2023 meanwhile was the warmest since 1970 with 16.2C, a 4.5C drop in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭boetstark

Nothing Wrong with enjoying 30 plus temps. Anything 28c to 35c is perfect for me.

You must be a ginger 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

where are you going with the lowest Dublin airport has seen is 13.9 it was 4 degrees there last week 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Obviously I'm talking about the max temp… 13.9C as a lowest min temp all month at DA would be exceptionally mild! Its highest monthly daily min temp record is only 10.0C from July 1991 which p.s. came after one of the coolest Junes on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

It's been very wet since early this morning near Ardagh, County Longford. Heavy rain has been gradually tapering down and is now a light drizzle. It's still overcast but I expect a clearance soon. There was a strong breeze earlier, this has eased to a fresh breeze. The circa 200 pots and containers of plants are well watered so that's one less job that's required in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The growth after all the rain this morning will be spectacular. The plants and trees had 12 days of dry/bright weather in early June and a relatively dry May too. Plants develop an extensive root system in dry periods. They will take off now above ground.

Dry and bright in Galway now. I expected it to rain all day. Feels heavy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Anyway is it possible to factor in windchill/real feel in to those trends/years gone by. I suppose, you could get an average wind speed for each date and if you could get the general direction of the wind it could potentialy be more indicative of the general weather. Or for bonus points, the relative humidity too 😂

FYI

Feel free to tell me to fcuk off and find it yourself if your so interested 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Heavy rain in Moycullen all morning (but mild)

Brightened up through lunchtime and was quite warm and muggy thereafter

wind is wild out there

I would never do that, this is my passion albeit that on a national basis would take far too long to do. I can do it on a local basis, let's use Casement for example since that is your closest synoptic station that has wind data as from reading your posts, you are based in north Kildare?

Using the daily mean wind speed and average daily temperatures, I calculated the wind chill for Junes 1967-2023 (only for the 1st-15th of each one) at Casement using the formula 13.12 + 0.6215T - 11.37V to the power of 0.16 + 0.3965TV to the power of 0.16 via NOAA where T = the average temperature in degrees Celsius and V = the mean wind speed in km/h. I've also given the mean wind direction in degrees next to each though these aren't overly useful given the prevailing wind direction of SW is very common. These are the coldest in terms of wind chill:

1991 7.9C (209, SSW)

1987 8.2C (195, SSW)

1972 8.2C (258, W)

1985 8.5C (193, SSW)

1977 8.8C (187, S)

2015 9.2C (173, S)

1974 9.3C (235, W)

2019 9.4C (181, S)

1971 9.5C (112, ESE)

1995 9.5C (251, WSW)

2024 is coming out at an average 9.4C windchill temperature (by day and night keep in mind) for the first 12 days - identical to 2019. I don't have a mean wind direction figure for 2024 but wind rose suggests in a similar ball park to 1972. This makes me wonder if we would have a much colder June statistically than it already is if the North Atlantic sea temperatures were much colder as the ocean was in its cold phase back in 1972 which is not the case now.

As for relative humidity, that would take a while to calculate in of itself because the Met only do dew point temperatures by the hourly data in the historic database rather than daily averages.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

Great info as always Sryan.

As I quoted from Sky News a few days ago, we always expect summer to be much warmer than it's supposed to be. Sure last year we had a record breaking June temp wise, and yet some people were still complaining about the cold.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a very chilly start to June. But listening to some you'd swear we'd never seen cold like it. Which as your stats show, is clearly false. Unfortunately these temps aren't as uncommon as we'd all like them to be.

That is top notch posting and knowledge

You’re a gent! Thank you

nice pleasant evening now 17 degrees and sun out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This will probably be one of the coldest June's on record I'd say alright maybe not thateextreme but definitely below average, this time last year we had 28c in carlow as it came up on my Facebook memories , hopefully July and August will be a warm one, anything between 22c and 27c is fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Banarol

I just love it. It's a change from the ordinary mundanity of an Irish Summer.For a week or so Ireland resembles a Mediterranean country weather wise and the scenery looks better.The evening times of the 30 degree days are also a bonus as the temperature often stays above 20 degrees even after midnight.I understand its not for everyone though. You either like it or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Growth will stall for a while. Air temps are holding every thing back. After a proper drought soil temps are very high leading to mineralisation of nitrogen in the soil when the rain comes. Think of it as wrapping a duvet around your lower body/legs and then going topless, you won't do it today or for the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭squarecircles

doesnt matter anyways,everything will get pulverated and deshelved by the summer wind storms coming in late june, to give that miserable autumnal look, my god my heart goes out to anyone who cant leave this country for extended periods, this muck misery is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

And heatwave in SE Europe to me is a bad sign. No scientific knowledge (as usual) to my assumption but I seem to remember them getting boiling weather in other Summers that were sh8 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

"A constant 30+ degrees would very quickly become unbearable for most Irish people"

You're clearly equating "most Irish people" with yourself and assuming your preferences are their preferences. The reality might really surprise you. 21st century paddy, and I include myself in that group, is very well able to cope with temps of 30+ be it for holidays or general living.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Agreeable morning with some sunny spells in N Kildare 10c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Morning run in Meath. Bright, but like sharp coolness out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JVince

you are making assumptions based on what? and then you make the assumption yourself that just because you think you could deal with it, everyone else can deal with it. "Pot Kettle Black"

I worked in the UK in the 90's and summer of 1995 had a long period of temps of 30+ and very dry conditions. I think Ireland had similar weather but temps mid-high 20's. It might have gone 30+ for a day or two, but nothing like the weather in south-east England.

People "coped" and made changes, but doing your day to day work was not easy especially as air-conditioning was not the norm. There were constant warnings about heat. Hundreds of people died from issues to do with the heat, offices closed, schools closed. - Maybe you should have been around and told them to "cope with it" because you could cope with it.

Pleasent morning. Slight chill, 9c N Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oh look the forecast has changed back to unsettled again for next week.

Gas.

Advertisement