Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

What a dull morning. Expected temperatures 19°, be such a waste with these grey overcast skies.

14° Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

I was watching the British weather forecast last night and London is getting a real Indian Summer this week mid 20s all week with a high close to 30 degrees on Wednesday….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Cool morning, 14c, week looks like improving day by day however.

Just ticking the days down along with Gonzo before i head away to sunnier climes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

the same London that doesn’t have a better climate than Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Saw that last night myself on countryfile…some run of temperatures for the week. I'm not sure if we are going to get anything like that unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yep, I saw some snow here on the 23rd May earlier this year while hiking in brilliant sunshine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭highdef

Although there appears to be no real official term of "Indian Summer", in scientific terminology at least, the UK Met office does say that it would consider an Indian Summer to to be a warm and settled spell of weather that occurs in mid to late Autumn:

The Met Office Meteorological Glossary first published in 1916, defines it as 'a warm, calm spell of weather occurring in autumn, especially in October and November.'

Link:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Continental and much higher elevation than Ireland. It achieved -35.8C in early 2021 but that was at 1874m above sea level. Carrauntoohil, our highest mountain and heavily exposed to moisture fed southwesterlies, is just 1038m ASL. We don't have mountaineous temperature recording stations in the Republic. I'm not entirely sure about Northern Ireland as the UK Met Office are a bit different and have plenty, especially in the Scottish highlands. It's also significantly easier to get to higher elevated places as far as I'm aware compared to here where our limited relatively high roads like the Old Military Road always get bad ice or close down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

In southern Spain it's very easy to get to high locations as there are decent roads leading to towns and villages over 1000 meters above sea level, we certainly don't have that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

Met Eireann website showing 21C today and a low of 17C for my location, in reality its been 15-16C all morning. I've lost count of the number of times it's overestimated temperatures this summer, never seems to under-do it.

Hopefully it improves after lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭compsys

We use the term Indian summer far too liberally here.

In the States, where it's thought the term originates, it's technically a fine spell of weather after the first frost and is usually used to describe good weather in late October or November even.

We seem to use it for good weather any time from mid August onwards.

It's very common for the first week or so of September to be decent in Ireland (by our standards). So I wouldn't personally be using the term for a few good days in early September.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

19c now in Greystones with watery sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Even Madrid is 657m als. An Irish town at that elevation would be almost guaranteed a crazy snow event every year at that altitude.

Yes, completely agree with you about an Indian Summer being a fine spell of weather after the first frost, in the second half of Irish meteorological autumn. I was just trying to keep any classifications/terminology based on official Met services in the British Isles. As you say, it's an imported term and with the climate being very different either side of the pond, the application of the term is inevitably going to be somewhat different when compared to the continental climate where it originated.

These days, the term "Indian Summer" is usually used by tabloid media outlets as a form of click bait, similar to the "heat dome" term that I absolutely detest as it's made out to be some sort of new phenomenon brought about by climate change when in fact it's just an area of stationary high pressure with lots of clear skies during the summer months. Something that happens in most places at some point every summer…….apart from Ireland this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you were a conspiracy nut, you'd nearly think they had an agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That must be the most irish of weather descriptions, "watery sunshine".😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Next weekend looks decent for much of the country. The current model output looks good going into September too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Rain has arrived 4 hours early in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

feels nice and warm and not really any wind in Dublin today, which is way better than the recent rubbish we've been served up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya got up to 17c here but rain near now. UK weather had 19c n sun for here today. Didn't get either but we will get the 20mm of rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I guess I have been lucky this year, not a fan of too much sun and anything over 21 degrees is not enjoyable for me.

Also do not mind a bit of rain, if you are prepared for it then it doesn't really stop you.

I can imagine how awful it has been for those not like me though !

The good weather for the weekend is gone on latest GFS with a continuation of this. Met Eireanns model still showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

Funny you say that Gonzo as in my recent trip to Spain I spent some time in a delightful mountain village called Capileira in the Alpujarra region of Granada in the very south, at 1.436 metres above sea level.Very comfortable temps there in August with low humidity while lower ground coastal and inland parts are stifling in August heat. To my knowledge it also snows there in winter with low temps, but I've only ever been in summer. But re roads you're right that they're fairly decent, though not for the faint hearted as it's about 90 minutes of corkscrew bends to get to the top. Well organised though, road infrastructure in Spain is good.

I've just arrived at D24 and it's cool enough (you'd need a jacket or jumper) and it's totally cloudy with a fresh breeze. Left Trim in Meath about an hour ago and there was very hazy sunshine there with a lighter breeze so I guess it's just the next weather system arriving and it's going downhill in Dublin in general..... And everywhere in the country really, going by satellite and radar imagery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Those fronts always split in two as they approach Dublin, explains the large soil moisture deficit.

Forecast for today

Actual weather

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I still think Gonzo has a better chance to see a snowflake in Dunshaughlin than a coastal village in southern Spain. If we start hiking mountains in nearly any country we'll find snow. Even the Sally gap gets a good covering every now and again.

I agree though, a great place to go if you can afford an early retirement in your late 50's or so ,to help prevent arthritis etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

The Mourne mountains can get a good coating with Sleeve Donard being 850m. But I'd say the Sperrins have the most frequent snow cover due to them being located in the NW and catching far more showers in a NW'ly pattern. The SE gets little to nothing in these setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I wouldn't mind a September like 2021. Mostly dry and warm for the whole month. August before it was pretty much like this weather now, except it settled down for the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

Can anyone tell me what's the story re this better weather we're supposed to be getting? Did someone say it's gone on the GFS?? Please don't let that be the case! Days like today you'd lose the will to live.I've seen far better evenings in late November. And we're still only in August!

Somebody give me better news please! 🤞🤞

Advertisement