Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The GFS has been wobbling alot over the past 2 days on the warm and settled spell. The GEM and ECM are more favoring a warm and relatively settled spell lasting for a couple of days at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks Gonzo and let's hope!🤞 Tonight is horrendous in Tralee, gusts of wind and bucketting down and heating on here. Today was as bad as the day I returned from Spain on 22nd. Really dire weather for the end of August. While August is generally poor it usually picks up by my birthday on 23rd and traditionally gets better going into September. That trend has not happened over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭appledrop

The good weather was supposed to be this weekend, but my phone is only showing high of16 degrees now on Sat & Sun so that's not good weather, unless the West is getting it instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo is getting 19c at the weekend but only sunshine on Sunday. Cloudy every other day and some showers too. 17c and 9c by night next week so near normal for September.

However surely not as wet a month as August 156mm so far and raining currently.

Soon Met Eireann will have on their website Metreological Winter in Ireland consists of December January and February and NOW August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I'm freezing, my feet and hands have turned into blocks of ice and it's blowy af out.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very warm out tonight 16c currently here in Carrick-on-Shannon, 18c at shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I could very well be wrong but I always thought an Indian summer was a period of warm weather occurring after the first frost.

Post edited by .Donegal. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭secman

It's generally the last bit of warm dry weather we usually get in Autumn before the noticeable dip In temps . They reckon the term comes from North America when the native Indian got a reprieve and extra hunting time before winter set in, they sometimes get it late Autumn. We and the Uk generally get it in September when kids are back in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

This morning is bleak. Saw some kids waiting at the bus stop heading off to school getting soaked. Nightmare.

Anyway, rain clearing eastwards and today should turn out decent enough with a bit of luck. Forecast still looks more than decent for the rest of the week. Currently 16c, N Kildare

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

UKMO have no official definition of an Indian Summer, but suggest it's a relatively warm/settled spell in late October or November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The met Éireann forecast now stops at Saturday, yet again, it's all gone down the tubes, the models are complete trash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Potentially a nice spell coming up after the rain passes on Wednesday to Saturday at least. By Saturday the high is being pushed away to the east but sometimes we get lucky and it hangs around, one to watch.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rain and wind last night. Drizzle and showers this morning. 14C.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gilly1910

Horrible morning here in Dublin, between the rain and the traffic been back to 'normal' again, it wasn't a very pleasant cycle in here this morning. Even last night you could see it starting to get dark around 8pm, so while we might get a pleasant spell in September if we're lucky, it's pretty disconcerting to think that this is pretty much our lot now for the next eight months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Coming up to 4 solid months now of heat and sunshine on the continent, with another month, or 2 months in the med of summer to enjoy, and we couldn't get one lousey f'ing settled fine day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But the grass is so green, and the waterfalls in full majestic gusto, and the streets are sluiced of dog poo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

164mm of rain now for August. At least we may not get 200mm or if we stay under 180mm it won't be even the wettest month of 2024. It's been dry nearly an hour now. Must be more rain due soon.

What a turnaround, sitting out the back with genuine heat coming from the Sun. 20c N Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't think of one cloudless calm day this summer, its just mental.

Anyway it feels quite warm and muggy in Dublin today, its nice!

• Advertisement

It is nice, very pleasent actually, i checked the temperature and thought it felt higher than 20c but i noticed the RH @ 71% which explains the warmer feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

the tabloids full of summer scorcher on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mrsnrub2.0

I was thinking of taking off next week for hiking either in Killarney or out west. Has the good weather that was potentially coming all but disappeared from the charts? In other words should I save my days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lovely evening in Dublin now perfect for the concert tonight in Kilmainham...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Nice and sunny 🌞 here in carrick feeling plesent too 20c

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

Latest GFS run is a huge upgrade, with probably heatwave conditions for the week. But as is usually the case with big pattern changes there's a lot of messy stuff happening in the atmosphere so every run is wildly different

So at the moment it could still be anything from a week long heatwave to just a couple of decent days followed by a quick return to wind and rain!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a very wet evening here in Meath with intense downpours but it's warm 22C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes a significant upgrade this evening by gfs. Will ecm follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dairyedge

fair play. I’ve found this summer particularly brutal too be honest . The climate is gone f. I was in a bad weather mood when I sent that, sorry. My livelihood depends on the weather being normal. The cold constant wind this summer killed me. Bar about 4 days I could go all t-shirt recently. Summer is over now. I’ll post my next update on holiday lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jasus so warm in the sun now, has been a while since it got to these temps

Advertisement