Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just on RTE now rain spreading into the West on Sunday he said Saturday should stay dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

looking north west, looks threatening, I’m surprised there isn’t a rumble or two out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭kingshankly

was sitting in the garden sun shining lovely and warm blue sky above and it starts raining only in Ireland can it rain with no clouds 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Really enjoyed today around Tralee, short sleeves around the town with work, warmed up nicely with just the right amount of humidity to give the air that soft feeling. Good levels of sunshine with patches of cloud. Has become totally overcast this evening with low stratus and a bit of mist there for a while but lifted again. Could really sense the change in the seasons today, that subtle Autumn feeling of the bit of warmth but no great heat in it and an air that most of the growth coming to an end with a change in the smells of the local flora. Looking forward to the Autumn proper now but it can come as slowly as it wants, nice to ease into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭glitterIsland

My god, this summer was just dreadful weather wise. It was f*cking sh1te. We didn't even get one week of a heatwave or dry spell. I know we got some dry patches here and there but mainly it was cold and wet and just got damn f*cking depressing.

I bought a 2 for 1 offer on my favourite suncream in May, I think and I never opened them once. F*cking Jesus Christ.

I am tempted to jinx the weather - take out the winter coats and throw away the suncream and cut the clothes line down.

I remember one morning, it looked lovely out. I got a load of laundry on and hung them out just for it to rain so I raced to take them in again. Then the sun came out again and the clothes were hung out again. Then it rained again and it was rinse and repeat for the day til I got fed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

off to your neck of the woods on thursday till sunday, the weather actually looks decent, as in not pissing rain the whole time and some sun possibly. i'm not going to keep checking as i don't want to jinx it but looking forward to getting some hikes and surfing in around brandon bay!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ah great, it looks like you picked a few good dry days and pleasantly mild. Hope you have a great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From about noon on, it was a lovely day.

You wouldn't know kids were back at school tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭appledrop

Beautiful evening at football training tonight wasn't expecting that.

Got caught out big time in traffic this morning, hd been so light until today, should have known a bit of rain and schools going back and the madness start again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭compsys

Another day over 20º in Dublin. The 15th this month. Turned into a lovely evening so went for a swim.

August will probably end up around 0.5º ABOVE the long-term average in Dublin and most of Leinster. So not bad considering there was no heatwave or overly great synoptics.

Different story the further West and North you go where most places will end up around 0.5º BELOW average for the month. Many parts of Ireland will experience their third month in a row with below-average temperatures. When did that last occur?

For it to happen during summer and during a time when the Earth has never been hotter is some bad piece of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

GFS pub run bringing dry. UK forecast guy said on BBC we can expect weeks and weeks of dry weather but he's Tomas Shafflenacker or whatever and he sometimes jokes in the weather forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Worth nothing that todays 12z and 18z are both almost outliers in showing the best scenario possible in terms of temperatures and duration on dry and settled weather so caution advised. As for me i'll be gone from Ireland in 11 hours and in Southern Spain around 3 tomorrow. Looks fairly warm in the 28 to 32C range for the next 14 days when I'm there but there could be showers or thunderstorms on Friday and Saturday.

Today was a very strange day here in Meath, this morning was cold, wet and miserable, but once the rain cleared around 11am the sun came out and it come warm, but then in the afternoon it got very warm and rained alot but the temperature climbed to almost 23C during a monsoon like shower of rain, very warm rain and then the sun came out again and it was still very warm. One of the warmest days of this summer was today and the warmest it's felt in well over a week as most of the past week was cloudy, dark and drizzly as well as windy.

My next posts will be from Southern Spain so my temperature readings and weather conditions will not line up with what is going on in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

East Clare - woken up to rain ….again…. endless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Enjoy Gonzo. Look forward to your reports. Lob an oul farmacia temp pic in for the craic. I love how people take these things as gospel as actual temps

Anyway, fresh morning, a lot more hustle out and about outside which i take that everyone and all schools must be back today.

Some rain on the way, but we look set for a relative decent bit of weather over the next week. Currently 15c, N Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible morning in Galway lashing rain very heavy and feels cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

believe me I’m not trying to rub it in but it’s like I’m looking at the same radar every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yes 8mm of rain so far in Sligo today bringing month to 173mm. However 10mm forecast so clearance due soon before more showers.

Rainfall of near 200per cent in many W and N areas for August but 50 percent in Dublin. We live in a different country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Cracking morning in Dublin after a great afternoon/evening yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

13 degrees and rain in Limerick at 10am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

19°!!!! Lashing rain Meath. Too warm to send the secondary student with her coat this morning. Probably get soaked now. Indeed I missed this rain forecast until saw this band on a BBC forecast this morning emmm. Tomorrow is another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭highdef

We must be in different worlds in Meath. I didn't get out to walk the dog in Trim till about 11:30 as I was too busy with work. There was still hazy sunshine and I was not wearing my jacket as it was in the wash but it was borderline cool enough for a jacket, around 3 hours further into the day than the school walk time. Would be no harm for your student to keep a small umbrella in her bag, just in case things like this happen again. They take up very little room but can make quite the difference. That's assuming your student will not carry a coat/jacket when it's a bit too warm on a borderline temperature day.

I only got moderate rain in Trim, for about ten minutes. Then light rain and drizzle for a while. It's just beginning to trend to hazy sunshine. It's still breezy but lighter, was fresh to strong during the passage of the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Edgardo.

Last day of the summer heat here in Madrid.

Post edited by Edgardo. on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

......and by 1.10 it pulled away, for the walk home from school. Was watching it on the radar willing it to pass by the time. Looks like plenty random showers behind.

The brother leaving Spain after a few weeks at 30⁰ and landing in Knock to 16⁰.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Strange you say that as I was in Dunshaughlin and and your description of the day is perfect but I left the house at 5.30pm and it was raining hard. I drove to Ratoath and it was bone dry. Spent 2 hours there and came back to Dunshaughlin and it was still soaking and was told it lashed on and off up to 7pm but in Ratoath we were out training in t-shirts having to remove our rain tops and people asking why we had them on ! The differnece 5 to 6 km in Meath can make !

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

Met Eireann graphical information for my location right now: 21C with sun and cloud with 25% chance of rain

Reality: 14C, dark, raining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I saw some low cloud nicely capping Howth yesterday from Booterstown. There were lenticular clouds in South Dublin too but I couldn't get a good picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gilly1910

I shouldn't laugh glitterIsland, but I did laugh at your post. I do feel your pain, and you spoke your mind, no holds barred, which is refreshing to see. Summers have got so bad in Ireland that now you probably need at least two trips to sunnier climates during the year just to keep you sane, and three would be perfect if you can afford it, and don't have young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭V6400

Met Eireann farming commentary forecasting 25-70mm of rain for the next 7 days and drying conditions deteriorating from Sunday on, what happened to this settled period that was supposedly coming?

• Advertisement

Actually nice evening in Sligo

Advertisement