Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

1110111112113114116»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Most of the weather apps are showing nice weather too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another cracking day. More of this please. Had a wonderful snorkel earlier where the sunlight brought out the vivid colours.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

It's going to be interesting to see if MT and them weather apps are wrong. Hopefully not . The charts are flipping like burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

there isn’t going to be any rain today so the total for May, June, July and August at Dublin Airport amounts to 141mm, compare this to the 149mm that fell in July alone last ‘summer’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

off to spain next week,as the weather settles down here, and its going to be pissing it down/and or overcast for the entire 7 days over there,after a long summer of blistering heat and sunshine, gas, you couldnt make it up,after suffering threw this shite for the past 4 months. Then it all clears up the day i leave and the piss misery resumes back in ireland.

• Advertisement

Just enjoy yourself and relax. The weekend here might just turn into pet days. It's not looking great for us next week now according to met eireann and uk met.

It’s not all bad, the UK met saying some rain in southern England but dry in N Ireland and Scotland - this means an easterly, I think it I’ll be glorious in western Ireland next week,

Met E will NOT say ‘great weather on the way’ until it’s upon us!
    It looks to me that the highest temps in the UK on some days next week may be in western Scotland or even in Castlederg. This is not uncommon in May, June and Sept but unheard of in July and August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Charts are really interesting, on a knife edge, doesn't look particularly warm but could be dry and settled, or not.

Today is just spectacular, love late summer slightly cool but clear skies and sun with next to no breeze, perfection.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭OldRio

We were in Enniskillen this morning. When we left it was 21C. Blue skys and sunshine. Arrived home in Leitrim at about 3pm. Cloud fest and wind. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup cloudy in Sligo too. Just like the opposite of forecast. Maybe wer inSouth and don't know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Heres the actual satellite. Don't see much cloud in South there. Maybe they think Sligo is the SE too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

From the top of one of the mountains in the background of original pic. Was really freezing up there with a strong wind. Down at sea level here in Annascaul it's really warm and sunny. Rain back tomorrow so got quite lucky this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭fits

beenoskee? I miss going up those mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Another bbq evening here in chez delly....when we get weather like this you just have to take advantage...stunning evening

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

The moaning on here has been a bit much at times this summer but when we get days like this it really hits home just how crap most of the summer's been, even most of the 'good' days up to now were generally just grand and forgettable. It's great to at least get a few days of actual summer weather before the autumn sets in

you can see where it’ll be warmest …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it was mount brandon, lovely hike. one more pic from my kerry odyssey and then I'll shut up. inch beach just now, water was lovely for a swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bye bye summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The moaning was warranted, the summer was atrocious trash, if by Irish standards, and then to rub insult into injury, we get one paltry mediocre summers day on the final f'ing day of the summer…back to rain and showers and 14 degrees on Monday, in fact it will be pissing it down this time tomorrow in the south West and West.

I can not stand this Irish attitude of not being allowed complain, that there's something to be ashamed about, or that you just have to suck it up, well, NO, I wont.

Take anyone from continental Europe and put them threw 4 months of that, and they would probably need hospilisation and anti depressants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A stunning mountain. One of my absolute favourites. If you like Brandon, you would also like Mweelrea (highest in Connacht) which has outstanding views.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭appledrop

We had a barbecue aswell this evening but problem is in our garden sun gone behind the tress by 6.30 at this time of year compared to 8pm at height of summer so that was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What a stunning day ☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭fits

amazing. I’ve climbed Brandon twice and Carauntoohil once and never had a view from the top of any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Bye bye summer 2024, you won't be remember fondly at all but unlike many, I didn't hate it. It was about middle of the pack as it gets when it comes to summers in my limited lifetime to date. Very mediocre, benign, boring. Almost thunder-less minus an offshore storm in August. Below average sunshine. Average temperatures. Dry but damp a fair bit of the time. August a little better but much of the second half has seen a deterioration though at least the final days have been much better and the best of the summer. Of course I'm speaking on behalf of the weather here on the east coast of Dublin.

The one positive I will probably say about this summer is the noctilucent cloud season well exceeded expectations going into it including an epic display on June 26th that was one of the best on record but did not get to see here in Dublin.

A few other quirks were the Canadian wildfire smoke in August giving an unusually hazy and dim moon even high in the sky right around the full moon phase as well as the tendency for fiery skies in July which is normally a muted month for such skies due to high humidity and haze. August also brought the second strongest aurora of the solar cycle to date (since 2019) behind only the May 10th event.

So that ends another season to mark down as a disappointment but not the absolute worst. When will we get another decent season again? Another exceptionally mild, wet autumn to winter on the way? Please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Rugbyf565

The weather today brought so much life back into me. Must have been the longest I’ve stayed outdoors all year.
    It really makes you realise how vital sunshine is to your life force. Gonna be enjoying these sunny August’s and September’s caused by climate change. Hopefully we get another weekend out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

Excellent point there about the Irish attitude. For some ludicrous reason complaining is very much frowned upon here and yes continentals in general are way less complain shy and make it clear when they're pssed off and fair play to them.

So yes the complaining was very much warrented this horrible summer. Really hoping though that we won't be reverting back to the awful muck.I don't necessarily expect days like the past two [though I've enjoyed every second] I'd be very happy with dry,cloudy and reasonably mild. Not a big ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The Ber months have arrived. My favourite months of the yr. 🙂 I just hope they can give us some seasonal weather this yr unlike last yrs ber months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ironic that the summer was the 6th driest on record at Dublin Airport with 104.7mm (53% of its average) and it was the only one in the top 10 that wasn't dry, sunny and very warm. It was even very slightly drier than the recent very dry 2022 summer.

In comparison, Belmullet had 344.3mm or 136% of its average. 60% of this was down to August though which will be its wettest since 1992.

Advertisement