Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

I'd be one of the people on this thread accused of unrealistic Irish weather expectations but I'd actually be very pleased with recent weather, this weekend included and am surprised by the many complaints here by disappointed weather enthusiasts.

Yesterday I sat out for less than 2 hours, sans sun protection, and actually got scalded! Now I'm of sallow complexion and very used to strong sun abroad so never expected such a reaction. The temps in Kerry yesterday were meant to be around 17ish but I'd say easily 20C + in my back garden to say I got burned like that. Today was forecast for cloud but sun came out about 12 noon and stayed til about 5 when the clouds rolled in, but those 5 or 6 sunny hours were glorious. And very hot again in my garden, I covered up this time.

I dunno but sometimes I wonder is the south west the new sunny south east? We've done very well lately, no complaints at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

it was cloudy in south Tipp from about 3pm yesterday. Was beautiful weekend up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cloudy dull day here in Castlebar with nearby knock reporting light drizzle /mist. Hate that kinda day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Showers this morning. Rain this afternoon. Muck.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Overcast in Meath today.

Drizzle on and off this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The uv index is not directly correlated to the temperature (although naturally higher temperatures generally mean higher UV).

We're only a few weeks from the longest day of the year and as such the sun is approaching the highest point in the sky, this means stronger UV rays irrespective of the temperature or weather conditions. Cloud cover will screen out some of that UV but a lot still gets through.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ros4Sam24

Awful day in Ros, cold grey and damp all day

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fine day in Greystones. Mostly cloudy but with a good few sunny spells. 18.4c atm which is also high of the day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goingmadted

Grand couple of days in east clare. Some cloud but i wouldnt worry about that. Happy with 16/17/18 degrees type weather myself. Dry of course.

None of that stupid humid shyte that results in thunderstorms a few days later.

Got loads of gardening done this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Really enjoyed the weather over bank holiday weekend in Galway. Got loads done to the point that I need some work to rest. I'd say we only got about 5 mins of light rain.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Chilly start to the day. Heat was on at 6am. 12c, N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A coincidence that the weather chart for 80 years ago today was quite similar to todays, a now famous weather report from Belmullet reported a front passing through and the D-Day landings were postponed by 24 hours and so went down in history as June 6 and not June 5.
    Of course the front was more active and the weather more disturbed with lower pressure 80 years ago but as I’ve said the chart then was quite similar to this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cold, damp and windy here in Meath, could easily pass for early April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A heavy shower with some hail mixed in in Celbridge. And feeling much cooler in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

an unusually active and squally cold front for the time of year passing through now, normally in June a cold front will more or less have fizzled out by the time it reaches the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hefty Downpour in N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭compsys

The past few days in Dublin have been fairly pleasant. Around 18º to 19º each day. Not much rain and a bit of sun. Typical early summer weather really.

Even today is OK. Partly cloudy with temps around 16º. Which is kind of bang on average for this early in June.

The next few days look poor alright. Especially further West.

But there are hints at something warmer for next week already. So fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's fairly windy now in Celbridge from NW. Several large planters blown over here and some damaged shrubs. Rain has passed, and it has really brightened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Up in Donegal this week. Certainly chilly for June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very cool today 😎 but in a sun trap it's nice 13c but feels like 6c it's crazy, looks like I may have to go to Spain for a week or two over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

next weeks high has gone down the [ Mod snip, language] on the latest GFS, iv never seen such an inconsistent run of charts in a long time.

the only consistent thing is that the weather is complete trash for early june.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Brrrrr!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

13 degrees here in a nippy with in the north east welcome to summer in Ireland 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sweet mother of the divine Jaysus that wind is absolutely baltic!

It looks like a nice evening out but it's not!

Welcome back March, will someone switch this thread back to spring!

The June Bank Holiday weekend was fab though. Yesterday was dull but still pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

careful now mentioning months that are not the current month or one or two posters will be along to ridicule you. If you don’t subscribe to it being glorious then you’ll be rounded on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Chilly night ahead for June

Tonight

Scattered showers in the north and west, elsewhere generally dry and clear spells. An unseasonably chilly night with lowest temperatures of 2 to 7 degrees. Some rural grass frost locally with mostly light westerly or variable breezes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Todays GFS 12z shows a fairly chilly first half of June with temperatures averaging between 1 and 4 degrees below normal. A slow warming trend with temperatures perhaps around average after the middle of the month.

Temperatures could stay in the low to mid teens range until the middle of the month. Could June be the first colder than average month of the year, time will tell.

If this plays out this will be the most prolonged cooler than average spell in quite a while and very different to the warmth we had last June. Hopefully July and August sees a more prolonged pick up in temperatures and less of the northerlies and north-westerlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

UK met office mountain forecast mentions snow above 700m for the highlands for the rest of week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya I feel this Summer will be a mix of these type of spells and short warm ones too so not too bad. I think Highs and Lows will take turns influencing our weather all the time drier in the South and East. Probably near normal in the North and West.

Advertisement