Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No it is correct for the majority. Most had the warmest weather of the year in September. The highest temperature in June 2023 was 28.8C at Oak Park on 13th June. 24 of the 25 synoptic stations had their highest temp of 2023 from that September spell - Oak Park was the single exception.

The June warmth was purely down to persistence (the longest unbroken spell of 20C anywhere in Ireland since 1995). Station records were set in September, not in June.

Oak Park had an AVERAGE max of 25.3C for the first 9 days of September. That's only 0.4C off its warmest month on record - August 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wow I didn't realise that. Oak Park did really well in that Sept period. We've done alright in the bright months apart from the wet July/August 2023.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rugbyf565

do I plan a small sun vacation for July/august? Or risk an Irish summer?

Generally speaking, I don't think there's a month in the "warm season" that one could "objectively" say we've done completely terrible on as of late. There's been at least one of each that has brought an exceptional period or noteworthy "fine weather" statistic like sunshine, lack of rain or above average temperatures. Subjectively, I would like to say we're due a great July - though doesn't look like it'll happen this year (sigh) based on early prospects - because whilst July 2021 heatwave was outstanding, the rest of it was poor and the heatwave completely skewed the stats of that month, moreso than any other month I've ever seen. July 2022 whilst dry and very warm did terribly on the sun front with a lot of humid northwesterlies or southwesterlies bringing air around the top of the ridge of high pressure. 2020 and 2023 were horrific.

A diurnal temperature range of 20.6C at Magilligan today in the north ranging from a min this morning of 1.6C to a max of 22.2C this afternoon. More akin to mid-late spring rather than late June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I'd take a dry calm July, not too bothered about sun. It can't be wetter than last year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just back from the city centre...it was packed with people sitting outside having drinks and food...Great atmosphere. Unfortunately that looks like it for a few days at least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'd go on sun holiday. Early July looks brutal at present. The rest would be hoping for. Maybe it will but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dan575283578

i really hope we're not in for a repeat of july/aug 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A few days, a few weeks more like, the prime period of summer is now going down the tubes. Like a winters evening here, cold, dark and howling winds, with a gale out at sea.

Latest gfs again is pure scutter again, with relentless muck spewing in from the Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I think you need to stop looking at the weather forecast for a bit 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rare to be reporting gusts in June but anyway 11pm

Mace head 39 knots

Newport 37 knots

Belmullet 36 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

My god that wind is annoying this morning on my commute to work in Dublin.
    I can’t stand windy days during the summer.

At least it’s not raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Fairly blustery and that wind is not particularly warm. Cloudy 14c , N . Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Wet and windy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I hate to say it but I think this summer is a complete disaster. If the pattern is cool and windy entering July, that usually sticks around for most of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Does it though? @sryanbruen is the only man for the job who could verify your claim. I'd have my doubts, if what you mean by "cool" is below average temperatures with lower value % hours of sunshine.

Personally, here in Kildare, it has not b any means been a disaster. There have been some lovely spells of weather with some cool and wet days.

My definitiion of a disaster of a summer would be a washout for the entire 3 months. But hey, different strokes for different folks

Oh, we are only one third in to summer also 😛

was a great ol’ summer lads, got the winter coat out the wardrobe today—freeeezin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent gust of 45 knots at Mace head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cool and wet morning. 12C windy. Muck. Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Global warming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

is something you clearly don't understand.

anyway it's v windy in dublin, stuff banging around the garden, and the outlook is bleak for as far as weather forecasts can show us. it's the hope that kills you every summer, bloody depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dockysher

Last summer looks great so far compared to this year and last year was a disaster lol.

We got good few weeks of sustained sunshine in May/June last year and rest of summer was a washout.

This year no sustained days of sunshine yet unfortunately.

Is there anything to be said for the possibility of a sunny august? Is it possible to get a sunny august in Dublin?

August is usually really bad in Ireland. Usually we get a decent May and some of June is good until it turns into monsoon season until September. That's the pattern I'm most familiar with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Seriously blustery and showery day here in Oranmore Galway. Flower pots all over the place this morning, patio wrecked with compost. Did not see these gusts coming.

I know I live at the coast (even though we are at the end of Galway Bay), but this year seems to be a lot windier than any year I can remember in recent history. Even during the recent dry spell we got it always seemed to be gusty outside. It kept the temps very pleasant but not nice weather to sit outside in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Thats not true at all.

It seems a lot of people's perception about Irish summers is coloured by recency and other biases, and the fact that people seem to forget any dull spells in past years.

Irish summers are not like the continent - we seldom get long clear hot spells. It is mild, it rains, it gets cloudy, but it is noticeably warmer than the rest of the year.

It is far improved compared to spring, even when it rains it warm and pleasant. you need to adjust your expectations or you will be forever disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭fits

also. August 2022!

I’m giving up looking at forecast. Sun is out frequently and it’s nice when it appears.

cloudy with some showers and 19c to me is no better than 13c and the same in february or march though. constant cloud cover and 5 to 15c in the colder months and 8 or 10 - 18c for most of summer seems to be the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Normal service resumed.

Wet and windy.

Advertisement