Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

So day 30 of June/"Summer" 26 days now colder than normal 2 slightly above normal and 2 well above normal. Hope July is better

In the Arctic Summer Ireland is experiencing in 2024 Met Eireann is predicting a max in Sligo on Friday of 10c . Would this be one of the coldest July maxes ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I remember watching the forecast some time in the early 90s with some French people who were properly aghast at the idea of a 9 degree max in July.

'It's never 9 degrees in the middle of July ffs" was the essential translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes. That assumes there'll be persistent rain all day long and it's plausible.

1st July 1997 is the coldest July day of "modern times" and that day wasn't even rainy. It was just cloudy with a very cool northerly airflow.

Some of the maxima that day:

Casement 10.6C

Clones 10.7C

Malin Head 10.2C

Mullingar 10.9C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A very chilly week on the way with temperatures struggling to make it much past 12C at times during the day. I'm completely fed up of the chilly temperatures already and just want temperatures where they should be for this time of the year (18 to 22C). In 2 weeks we will be at the midway point of summer and we've only had a few days warmer than 18C. We all know that the much warmer than average temperature anomaly will be back for good just in time for winter and northern blocking will be nowhere to be seen and a massive ridge of high pressure sits over Iberia for the entire winter.

There better be a significant and prolonged warming trend appearing in the models over the course of the coming week from the middle of July onwards. Last summer we were sick of the deluges, this summer we're sick of the cold.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Yesterday was a pleasant day in Sligo but if you weren't standing at the side of a building in shelter or walking really fast it was cold. 16c yesterday was actually one of our best days of June. That says it all really.

Most of the first half of July won't be much better. I suspect the second half will be warmer as its rarely 14c then. (even in 2011 it got up to the 20s a couple of days around July 20th). Hopefully most of the heavy rain has run out as we did have that 9 month wet spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

now now Gonzo don’t be so “miserable” I’m sure it’s glorious somewhere in Ireland today.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Very cold damp summer day.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rugbyf565

It’s a reality now that Irish people have to fly to southern Europe for 7-14 days a year to get some sun/ vitamin D for health, well being and to ward off colds/flus. This feels like the cloudiest, darkest year I’ve ever experienced in Ireland. People mentioning that avg temperatures have increased but today at peak hours in Phoenix Park it’s barely 15 degrees with cold breezes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another rubbish day in Meath, cold, dark, cloudy and dismal, just like yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep, but I had to get the kids out today, the 2 year old was like a bag of cats after all the rain yesterday. Only got to max of 15 degrees here yesterday.

At least today is only drizzly rain so we were grand in light rain coats in playground, but it's certainty not pleasant out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm frozen today! Feels a lot colder than 15C. So dull, but it is dry so still got a few garden jobs done. At least I don't feel guilty spending two full afternoons plonked in front of the Tour de France.

Advertisement