Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Another interesting statistic about June 2024 is that it was cooler than May 2024 at Casement. I have no idea when this last happened if it even did. This is also the case for Ballyhaise, Belmullet, Dunsany, Finner, Knock, Markree (final figure yet to come in but 0.5C cooler than May as of the 29th, which is absolutely insane), Mount Dillon, Mullingar, and Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

back home to the endless grey gloomy Irish excuse of a summer. As others have said it’s dark cold damp. Miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ascophyllum

We have had a pretty good run since January in West Mayo, it seemed like we dodged a lot of the bad weather that other places had, but the last week or so has been...challenging 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dilinja1

If you look at met eireanns forecast for rain it has 0mm per hour for waterford city for the whole day. Been raining on and off here since 8am. Weather forecasts are struggling to forecast within the hour these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Needmoretea

This endless gloomy weather is so depressing! Cool and cloudy here in Dublin with a little bit of drizzle. I feel summer is running away from us even though we still have two months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

nothing but grey grey grey forecast. it's incredible how little sunshine we get in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Even by our standards we've been doing poorly, we just had the cloudiest first half to the year in 30 years since 1994 (Dublin Airport data).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

same cold muck as the weekend, another grey, damp, cold, drizzlely day. 1/3th of the way through summer and nothing really to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Despite all the cloudy days we've had another dry May (and June) just like in 2023. Some stats from around the country.

Average in Brackets

Dublin Airport = 30mm (66mm) = 45%

Cork Airport = 35mm (78mm)

Mace Head = 46mm (82mm)

Mount Dillon = 42mm (74mm)

I don't see any official station that broke the average. Most are well below.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭compsys

It was pretty OK where I was. Reached 18º in the late afternoon and stayed dry until around midnight. Bit of sun here and there.

I went out for a run in the afternoon on Dun Laoghaire pier. Was perfect weather for it. And lots of people were out in normal clothes just getting on with things and enjoying themselves.

Then in the evening I went to the Taylor Swift concert. It was actually perfect weather. Dry. Sun even came out. And around 17º. And lots of people were out in normal clothes (well, lots of Taylor Swift hats and t-shirts of course) just getting on with things and enjoying themselves also. Which you'd swear was impossible reading some of the comments on here.

Was it beach weather? Absolutely not. And nothing compared to the weather in Spain and Italy etc. But we rarely get that weather anyway in Ireland. With Irish weather you just need to expect the worst and hope for the best I think.

We could definitely have done with more sun over the past few weeks. But temp wise, in the East at least, it's been pretty close to average (I get it's been much cooler further West).

Sryan - what did the June daily high for Dublin end up as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Fine misty rain turning to persistent drizzle now in Celbridge, just as it's supposed to be clearing up! Damp, grey, and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

We usually say this about winter too in early January when there’s no prospect of cold and snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

We usually say this about winter too in early January when there’s no prospect of cold and snow!

Replying to need more tea’s post.
    Reply function with quote still not working for me 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My PWS N.Tipp

June 23: 23 warm days (A warm day 20°C or more)

June 24: 8 warm days

Then again June 22 looked worse 🙂

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have a similar measure on my website, though with a cutoff of 21C, last month was pretty middle of the road in that regard:

However average temperature was definitely on the low side, 2019 is out on its own in the cold stakes for June:

2023 was pretty special overall.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭pauldry

2 warm days in Sligo. 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

I know we had some ok and dry patches here and there but overall the weather has been muck.

Is there any hope for a decent dry spell and heatwave?

I still haven't opened and used the suncream I bought last year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent enough day in Greystones. Mostly cloudy, odd gliimer of sun and dry. 19c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭compsys

Unusual but not unheard of I'd imagine.

We've definitely had Aprils colder than Mays and Septembers warmer than Augusts. In 2021 April was colder than both March and February in Dublin Airport!

Our climate varies so little from month to month that a slightly above average month followed by a slightly below average month can reverse things easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I’ve come to the conclusion that outdoor garden furniture, summer clothes etc are an utter waste of money in this country. Dull, cold and drizzly on the 1st of July with no end in sight to the forecast. Miserable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

During covid there was a couple of amazing summers. Even people worried there might be a hose pipe ban and the Irish Independent et al with their dramatic headlines 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We do get some real good summers such as 2018 and 2022. Every decade we get at least 2 to 3 properly decent summers which is a lot more than I can say about our winters.

June 2024 has finished cooler than average here in Ireland and in the UK as well, the first month to do so since December 2022. The first half of July looks like an almost identical repeat of the first half of June 2024 so a cool and slightly unsettled first half to summer is in the bag. There better be some proper summer weather from mid July onwards and our Augusts don't exactly have a good track record in saving summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I have this very unscientific feeling that this is a much windier summer than I can remember in a while. Anyone have any historical stats on wind speeds?

Something about April 2021 that I didn't realise until now is that its mean at Dublin Airport was exactly equal to the December average, which is pretty mental, especially for our contemporary climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My parents have been making me among about the wind for weeks so don't think it's just you feeling it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Careful now, that was the legendary lockdown summer everybody reminisces about (even though that was spring and the meteorological summer was dog turd) 🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭yagan

A bit blustery but otherwise a nice warmish feel to the air here in Cork harbour. Breaks of sunshine occasionally.

Unfortunately we're all down with Covid again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭pureza

Turned out lovely in Arklow

20.4c the max

Still 20.1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭acequion

Oh god, I really feel for you coming back to this! The worst part of getting away to summer is having to return to the Irish excuse for a summer. I can't hack it at all 😒 But will be escaping again soon thank god, briefly, but it's a respite. Can't wat for that blissful feeling of getting off a plane to glorious heat. 😍

Advertisement