Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Its the media agenda -RTE is a propaganda machine of the government.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This summer probably won't get remembered for rain but it will definitely be remembered for lack of warm weather and sun. 2 elderly neighbours in my area are still lighting their fires since last autumn and haven't stopped yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Glebee

Home tomorrow after 10 days in glorious Italy. First 2 days were a bit dodgy but it pick up to normal Italian weather after that. Not looking forward to landing in Dublin tomorrow after keeping an eye on this thread for the last week. Oh well expect the worst and hope the rain stays away at least although I read in MT Craniums forecast for tomorrow "showers may contain hail", thats grim for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭pureza

The climate people in maynooth put out the report ,they are RTÉ's go to for these things

We also have the copernicus satelite which mar dhea can tell us what the temp is all over the world

In the last decade or 2,Dublin airports weather station has been moved,I'm convinced to make its readings more extreme and of course phoenix park has become the regular Dublin temperature report now as its in the middle of a heat island but without the buildings ,in the hope of recording the elusive 34c in the city/Ireland for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

I went through almost exactly same dilemma at same time of year a few years ago. We went indoors. It was a great day and we got some cool photos with umbrellas.

(Reminds me that the wedding anniversary is next week. ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Would recommend going indoors. Was in the same boat myself almost 5 years ago (mid-August) and we went indoors and were very thankful as it was blustery and actually made a couple of showers towards the end of the meal.

I remember the stress leading up to the day. The forecast was forecasting absolute downpours and did so right up until two or three days beforehand. As if the day itself is not stressful enough. Sometimes a lot to be said for a winter wedding and not having that stress.

But most importantly enjoy the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

cold grey but dry. The bar is so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

MetE says it was the coldest June since 2015.

That's after May 2024 was the warmest May on record.

It also said June was below average for rainfall across the country.

I'd post the summary picture if I knew how 🙂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

But but RTE are saying we are boiling over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In summer down in west Cork and Kerry they can get much better weather than the rest of us, even than here in Cork city. For example today it's widely 13 to 17 nationally but there are 18 to 21c temps being recorded in the South West. See current readings on WOW...

• Advertisement

Some posters here would have you believe the same. Didn’t a lad have to take off his jumper the other night. Imagine! In June😀😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another cold cloudy day at 13C and spits of drizzle, it almost feels like Christmas Day weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭giveitholly

After a cloudy morning,we now have hazy sunshine and it's quite a pleasant afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The “climate people” lol. So the globe getting warmer is fake news and a conspiracy by the “elites”? Is it the lizard folk or new entities now? I can’t keep up.

Anyone else just sick of the constant stupidity? The world is getting warmer and humans are causing it. Humankind has never had access to more information in its existence yet we live in the age of idiot with conspiracy theorists spouting shite all the time and people rubbishing scientific data with their feelings or Facebook experts. Beyond boring. Batter away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

No offence to the posters, but I can't understand why anyone would plan a wedding outdoors in Ireland. Is it really worth all the hassle and risk, for the sake of an hour outdoors. An instagram vs. reality situtation 😬

Again, no offence meant, and best of luck to the poster who is getting married next week! Leave out the child of prague!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭squarecircles

latest outlook from netweather for the uk, you can gleam from it that essentially it will be standard pig muck for ireland.

MONTHLY WEATHER FORECAST FOR THE UK

UPDATED 24TH JUNE - COVERING 8TH JULY - 30TH JULY 2024

Southerly and south-westerly winds quite frequent, warm in the east, probably unremarkable sunshine and rainfall

Temperatures are forecast to be near normal in Northern Ireland and probably less than 1°C above normal in most other western regions, but in the east of both England and Scotland, they are expected to be 1 to 2°C warmer than normal, relative to 1991-2020.

Rainfall totals will probably not be far from normal averaged nationally, but there is expected to be a fair amount of regional variation. The most likely regions to be wetter than average are the south and south-west of Britain, while north-east Scotland looks likely to be drier than average.

Sunshine totals, averaged nationally, will probably also not be far from normal, but sunshine looks likely to be below average in most parts of Wales and south-west England, and above normal in northern and eastern Scotland, due to frequent southerly and south-westerly winds.

Week 2: Monday 8th July - Sunday 14th July

It looks probable that the cool and changeable west to north-westerly type of early July will break down early in this week, leaving a south to south-westerly type over the British Isles and high pressure to the east and north-east of Britain. This will result in occasional rain belts crossing the country from west to east, but with some long spells of predominantly dry weather with variable amounts of cloud in between, especially in eastern parts of the country. Some showery thundery outbreaks are also possible, mainly in the south. Towards the end of the week, it will tend to turn wetter as the low pressure systems out to the west start to push in from the west.

After a cool start to the week, temperatures will generally be above the seasonal average but not exceptionally so, with most places seeing low to mid-20s Celsius by day, although there are likely to be some warm muggy nights, particularly in the south-east. However, heat will be building in central parts of Europe, and so there is a chance of some of this heat briefly making it into parts of England, especially the east and south, late in the week, bringing potential for high 20s and low 30s Celsius. This is likely to be short-lived as there are signs that the east Atlantic trough will start to push eastwards towards Britain late in the week, turning the weather cooler and more unsettled.

Temperatures are thus forecast to be above the 1991-2020 long-term normal for most, probably by 1 to 2°C in most of central, southern and eastern England, and around 2°C in inland parts of East Anglia and the south-east. However, Northern Ireland and western Scotland may miss out on most of the warmth, and in these regions temperatures are forecast to be very close to the long-term normal.

Both rainfall and sunshine totals will probably not be far from normal in most parts of the UK, although there may be substantial regional variation in the rainfall totals, with potential for slow-moving bands of rain and/or thundery downpours to affect some areas of the country, while others stay predominantly dry.

Week 3: Monday 15th July - Sunday 21st July

There is quite a strong signal for pressure to be above normal to the north of Britain during this week, with the jet stream running to the south, sending low pressure systems across the British Isles at times. However, relatively high pressure to the north-east may result in southerly winds remaining relatively frequent, and there are indications that the jet stream may end up rather weak, meaning not a total washout for most of the country, with an emphasis on shallow low pressure systems.

Generally, it looks likely to become hot in central Europe and cool in the eastern North Atlantic, with Britain lying on the boundary, suggesting that temperatures will be near or slightly below average in Northern Ireland and some other western parts of Britain, but probably above normal overall in the east of both England and Scotland. One or two short hot interludes are possible chiefly for the east and south-east of England.

Again, there is not a strong signal for rainfall or sunshine amounts to deviate substantially from average for most of the country, although there may again be considerable regional variation, particularly in the rainfall. However, it looks likely that with anomalously high pressure to the north-east for a lot of the time, north-east Scotland will be drier than average. Cloudier than average weather is most likely in the south-west of Britain, while north-eastern Britain is most likely to be sunnier than average.

Rest of month: Monday 22nd July - Tuesday 30th July

Confidence is low in this week's weather with relatively limited signals: predictability is often lower at this time of the year than in the other seasons. However, it again looks probable that pressure will be above average to the east and north-east of Britain, which means that southerly winds may be more frequent than average for the time of year, bringing potential for some hot weather, perhaps greater potential for it to turn hot than earlier in the forecast period. As a result, it looks probable that temperatures will be above normal overall, but there is considerable uncertainty over the extent of the positive temperature anomaly. Again there is less of a clear signal for sunshine or rainfall anomalies, which are most likely to not be far from normal.

The July cold spell, the second prolonged cold spell of this summer is really taking hold of much of Northern and central Europe with very unseasonably cold conditions for mid summer.

Imagine if this was mid winter…..

I don't know which is worse at this stage, last years soaking wet but mild summer or this years chilly, cloudy and drizzly summer. Signs that things may improve from the middle of July but once again any sight of high pressure in the extended range is looking very flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭pureza

19c today in Arklow with some Sun

Over 20c yesterday

Thats NOT cold

Its pleasant (here anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Am I empirically correct in saying that we received more sunshine in Spring per average day? Because intuitively I feel as if I’m in a worse seasonal depression than pre-spring, spring this year (bar a chilly march) felt bright/sunny outside to me. Feel like I can count the days with my hands which had zero cloud cover in summer so far.

it may be recorded as 19, but in south Dublin with the cold breeze I needed a jumper and jacket on today, feels about 13.

• Advertisement

journos mouths are already watering at the thought of being able to post an article with the headline ‘34 degrees recorded for first time, set to be a scorcher!’

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Spring was cloudy. It was the cloudiest since 1996 for Dublin Airport whilst most had their cloudiest since 2014. June was sunnier than all of the spring months nationally so not sure where you are getting this idea from.

However spring 2024 was still sunnier than the summer 2020 shitfest!

oh ok..maybe my expectations are just too high for summer this year, some kind of false memory syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Hazy sunshine here in the midlands, temperature just reaching 17, so sitting out the back in shorts and a t-shirt telling myself its grand 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Definitely saving on the sun cream bill today.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Timistry

Sitting out in Cork wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Once it clouds over, its chilly.

but but but Covid summer was glorious Syran 😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Should have seen the amount of stupid comments that report got in the comments sections on Facebook. Mother nature has plenty more work to with the evolution of the human brain it seems lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Dazler97

See their talking about extreme temperatures on the news ffs unless there talking about elsewhere around the world 🌎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Billcarson

In reference to Hurricane Beryl - These are the type of nuts that are out there. Thinking the powers that be are able to manipulate Hurricanes to kill people.

Advertisement