Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Well for some having a few holidays booked while some people can't even get a chance to go away with money and all , seems abit much you boasting about it 🙃 I myself am hoping to get away but not sure where yet

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnboy1298

I find the weather this summer has been do unpredictable. Id love some calm settled weather, now necessarily roasting but not so much wind.

As with comments above, I'd love to know why met forecast has seemed so far off at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Peach of a day, high of 21.9c and plenty of afternoon sun. Same again tomorrow would be great

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Travelled over to Enniskillen today and the wind would cut you in half. Feels like a day in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

Its a gorgeous evening here in Wicklow too

Just lovely summers evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was a lovely afternoon and evening for golf. I actually like playing with a bit of a breeze. It brings a bit more judgement into it. Just one quick shower and just one ball in the water...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭acequion

It's dire in Tralee.😫 Cold, completely grey and non stop drizzle all day. 14C may not be cold perse, but for me that's feckin freezing in "summer" and add it rain and grey and that's as bad as it gets in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

Indeed as pureza said, the forecasters couldn’t have been more wrong as regards temperatures this week for areas towards the south midlands, southeast. The last 3 days have been as good as any we’ve had in my area of Mid Tipp, in and around 20 C during the afternoons. MT is gone very conservative in his forecasts and forecasts temperatures way lower than they are, even Met Eireann are way off this week. On Sunday Gonzo said temperatures will struggle to rise above 12 C this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

is anyone else wondering if that European high pressure is going to build out slowly over us next week? Signs of it for a few days now.

I have more hay to cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭kingshankly

on the commute to work this morning mental seeing everyone wearing jackets and coats sun shinning but bitterly cool in that wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

My post about foreign holiday in September was very much light hearted in taking with the sh!t weather we are currently having this summer, and in no way a "boast" as the other lad mentioned about money and all, whatever that means.

Anyway, another cool windy morning, but brighter than previous days. 11c , N Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭traco

Hi all - question for the gurus here as I have no emprical data to support my observations.

Has the westerly winds been much more predominant in the last few months and more intense. I cycle the same route to work and a lot of it is open and directly west. It just seems like the last while (maybe from April??) that the westerlies have been much more a factor. I didn't notice them much at all during Autumn and winter but lately it seems non stop and they are strong. Anytime its feels bad I check met and its 25-29 kph gusting 45-50 so when trying to maintain 20kph on the bike it feels very unpleasant.

I could be totally wrong but curious - maybe I'm just detriorating and getting weaker????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Dublin, Louth, Meath, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain at times.

Potential Impacts:
    Spot flooding

Valid: 22:00 Friday 05/07/2024 to 06:00 Saturday 06/07/2024

Issued: 09:16 Thursday 04/07/2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

really windy in dublin, and it's a cold wind! supposed to get 18/19c and no clouds later but i find it hard to enjoy when getting pelted with that wind. we all need to light a candle and ask jesus or whatever to sort this out and give us a few weeks of summer weather please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Walked for about an hr this morning in a light jumper. Nice and fresh in that wind. Still I was a bit sweaty when I got back had to take my jumper off to cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Jesus would the wind just give it a rest. This summer is just a horror show so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

As mentioned, stiff enough breeze/wind out there this morning. Finger tips are feeling it.

Worth the walk for the coffee anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Cool, wet, windy. Sick of the wind! People's bins blown over on my road now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The cool weather we have had the last number of weeks has certainly had an effect on the sea surface temperatures on our side of the North Atlantic. Anomaly chart for July 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

as I said reading the comments here the bar is so low on our expectations. Drove through lot of the midlands yesterday. It was frequently raining (showers) always windy and cloudy a lot of the time. A cursory look at how people are dressed tells you all you keep to know and the lack of flowers hanging baskets etc really noticeable. I get that it isn’t Spain or Portugal here and I get that we don’t get good weather and I get people’s perceptions of what’s cold v warm are varied but this by any metric is a very poor summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I think there is no sugar coating anything about the last two weeks anyways, it's been awful. There is no distinction between October and July out there today. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭pauldry

At least if there's heavy rain tomorrow and Saturday in the East I can look at radar. These days it's raining constantly but too fine to show on radar

Weather still seems cool out to week 3 of July then warmer but still unsettled and cool again after that.

Hopefully August will save the Summer. For once.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a cold, windy autumn style day here in Meath, really fed up of this cold now which has been here most of the time since 1st of June and were almost at the summer half way point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

17c down in the low Ark today,breezy

A whole 5c less than yesterday,quite noticeable but at least dry with the sun out,you can do stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Needmoretea

The sun finally arrived yesterday and today, but so did the wind! It's a funny sort of day, a mix of warm and cold, sunny and little passing showers. I don't know whether I need sun cream or rain jacket. Possibly both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭pauldry

Last night resisted the need to put the heat on but we all put blankets on us. Today the temperature of the house has gone down another degree. Windy again. By Sunday night it's forecast to be 5c so maybe we will have to buy oil. Gave the daughter hot water bottle last night as she was frozen. Its even colder than June with the wind. Wonder what the beach looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Well, sounds like you've just described the quintessential Irish summers day 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Similar to yesterday albeit a bit more windy this morning, currently 20c in fair weather, nothing to complain about in south Dublin.

Leeward side of the Wicklow mountains favoured :

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

13.5 degree and the cold wind would cut you in half here in West Clare.

People walking around in winter jackets and the beaches are empty. The tourism sector sure to struggle again as a result.

Its drier than last July but certainly colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Great afternoon and evening out on the sea front yesterday ..blazing sun and temp reading 21 but absolutely frost bitten out walking .Had fleecy zipped right up and rain jacket but needed a hat (which I hadn't brought , of course !) in July !

Not too bad today NC Dublin but very windy .Have gotten two machine loads dry and have a third going out on the line !

I am going to put out my Child of Prague statue as dominatinmc mentioned because I just can't take this chilly weather any more 🥶.

Not finding the house cold but wearing socks and long sleeved tops which is weird as don't usually from May to October .

Heard Ivan Yates giving out about the Maynooth study aired about the increased likelihood of 33/34 degree heat events in Ireland .

Don't think anybody in their right mind at this stage could disagree that we are very much in the grip of global.warming , but I totally get people's annoyance with that report at this time .

Not the fault of the poor researchers , they are entitled to.publicise their very important study but really like, read the room , timing wise .

How about a study /commentary as to why our summers are increasingly wetter and /or colder ?

Advertisement