Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Dire in Cork, 13 degrees and raining, looking likely to go down as a dry but ultimately shite summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I went for a walk at lunch today and that's exactly what I thought - today is a typical summer's day in Ireland. Cloudy but some blue skies with the sun peeping out every so often + bit of a breeze + roughly room temp (felt around 17/18) + maybe a shower in the distance to keep you honest 😉 + bright until well after 10pm…bonus. To me it just felt normal. A heatwave would be nice but it is always an exception.

Time for a run now, hopefully stays dry. This July is much less wet already than last year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh, what an awful summer we're having 😞

Pray for August 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

in June it was wait until July and here we are…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭pureza

Gone wet and windy now in Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Perhaps they released that report at this time to make the point that just because we have had a number of cool weeks doesn't mean climate change isn't real. If they had released that report during the a heat wave they would have been accused of having an agenda . They would have been damned either way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann might have been a bit too quick with that yellow warning for tomorrow? Those totals earlier forecast are well dialled back now and UKMO HD and AROME showing hardly any rain at all between now and 6am Saturday. Still a bit of a spread in the models to be fair but not sure why they were so quick with the yellow warning for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Gerry Murphy’s mic wasn’t working there for the weather, probably as well as all he’d to talk about was the current low pressure, more low pressure moving in over the weekend and next week…low pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Grand day in Dublin despite the wind. Got a good long fast walk in and felt like an Irish summer's day. Nice evening too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Summer and winter at the same time, lovely summers evening in the east, wet winters evening south and west:

South Dublin, 17.9C @ 19:13 :

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

LIke 30 days ofthe past 34...much colder than average in Sligo. At this rate the new average will be cold. This time last year we had had about 20 warm sunny days by now this year 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Very fresh and autumnal in south Dublin city today because of the wind. Everyone in jackets. Temperatures are largely irrelevant given the relentless wind which means it continues to be a non-summer event. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just got to sligo town. Its actually freezing in the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

someone above told us it was a summers day in Dublin 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

spend the last week camped out at a beach surfing and beach combing. I’ve so many layers on. Full wet suit, boots, gloves and hoody when in the surf. It’s not being kind right now. Can’t sit out to dry off.
    on the plus side I’m realising how handy the boot of the car can be for shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

no worries, you're grand. I was having a bad day yesterday, fence I had just painted and put up blew down and it had taken me ages. Enjoy your hols, I wouldn't begrudge anyone a break from the Irish Summer.

(I had one holiday in May in Portugal, my first holiday abroad in 3 years, hopefully I can get another one before the year is out)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭alentejo

sick of cold cycle to work in the morning and then battling against the never ending wind on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

today was Day 4 of my week long sea swimming course in Cromane, Kerry. Its been appalling conditions, but it went ahead! Gloves, boot, hat, long sleeve swimming suit, 25 mins in the water and I was so cold I could barely get dressed afterwards. The strong wind and the roughness of the sea has been the worst bit, impossible not to get hit by waves and swallow half the ocean. Came home, fire lit, warm food, hot shower, woolies on. This can't be July!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

There was no summers day in West Dublin or North Kildare. A damp morning cleared up to a bright afternoon and evening, but max 17C for a couple of hours - 15-16C mostly with 60-70kmh gusts all day. The wind is the killer - it ruins everything. I hate it! It was like an October day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Another absolutely dire day in Tralee. Relentless rain and cold all afternoon from 1pm, a clearance now but what good is that at this hour! I personally may not have to rise at the crack of dawn at the moment, but many people do. So fine weather in late evening after a completely shite day, not much good to most folks!

I'll apologise to nobody for frequent escapes abroad. It costs me a fortune, but my money, I earned it! I just happen to be somebody who cannot hack the dire Irish summers without frequent escapes and if were not for elderly relatives depending on me I wouldn't endure Irish summers at all. Some day, hopefully!

I'm delighted to see people escaping from this crap and you can understand why Micheal O Leary is laughing all the way to the bank. Especially now with the carry on by Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gillrich

13 degrees and very strong rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I really enjoyed today and yesterday here in Dublin, both had good sunshine, but I wouldn't call them summery personally, quite springlike if anything - yesterday felt like May and today more like April, late March even. To me, it even felt more like those sunny, windy northwesterly days you get in November following a storm rather than summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Banarol

Monday to Wednesday was ok in Mid Tipp 18 to 21 and dry. Today was much cooler peaked at 15 and a couple of showers.Temperatures on the up next week so not all bad. And very little rainfall overall since early May

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

There is no way on earth today was like a summers day!

I was outdoors for most of it and the wind was unreal!

Now it was nice to have a bit of sun and the sunglasses where on when it came out.

Then they came off when rain showers came and rain jacket went on. I actually just kept rain jacket on for most of time as buffer against the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Fair play to you boyo. You'll be glad you started it as planned. Learning in the deep end, well done!!

Nice evening in Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yesterday was a mad day.

Started off raining and I was like FFS as heading to beach in Wexford!

When we got there at 12pm it was like a different country sunny and the heat in sun! It was also so calm, not a whiff of a breeze.

I had to plaster on the factor 50, it was glorious. Came back home and not half as nice. It's true what they say about the sunny south east!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

it’s not bad in the south east in recent days. I haven’t been cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭pad199207

Advertisement