Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very cold night for July with Claremorris down to 7 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Weather Warning for the east has been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

0.6mm rain overnight, so much for the yellow warning. Will be out watering after my morning run , the plants are parched!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

A yellow warning for rain seems to be a bit hysterical to even offer in a weather forecast. It is going to rain reasonably heavily, okay so what? It’s Ireland. Rain should not be included in any yellow or even orange warning, it should only get a red warning when it is going to be biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

happy 6th July, 12.5 degrees in the car and heavy showers in west cork. Some very slight signs of things improving next week based on my looking at the charts, fingers crossed. Lots of rain here recently so a dry spell would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Breezy and a bit chilly this morning but at least it's sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thunder and heavy rain last night. Ground is saturated.

Sunshine and showers this morning.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Atrocious conditions for July this morning in England. Values were just 10C at 11am (1000 UTC) just to the north of London with pouring rain. Rather cool back home but nothing too out of the ordinary for us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was heading to the coast for a ramble but heavy frequent enough showers ( and a sore foot 😁) but an end to those plans for now , plenty to be doing around the house anyway, cool at just 12.3C here near Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Have been hoping to go for a night's camping up in Glenmalure, County Wicklow on Thursday 11th July. Looks like I might be in luck as I won't be going if its not dry. Things look like improving 2nd half of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭boetstark

Can't figure how some posters are saying ground and soil is parched.

The country as a whole appears to have constant rain and very cool temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A decent day so far in Lucan/Celbridge/Maynooth. Some nice sunshine, dry. Cool with a bit of a breeze, but nothing like the wind of the past week. Disappointed with the lack of rain for my garden.

Casement and Dublin Airport are at 57% and 53% respectively of average rainfall for May and June. It was wetter earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

2 very dry months in a row makes a huge difference.

Mace Head in Galway which is usually very wet has had 62% and 56% of average rainfall for May and June. Same pattern across the country.

Only 4mm so far in July with nearly a week gone and today is a lovely summer's day out west.

I do a lot of gardening and I could do with a lengthy downpour, makes it easier to dig.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Great spot. I enjoyed camping in Glenmalure in my 20s. Some of it is quite remote. But I do remember getting absolutely mauled by midgies one night. No harm to build up the fire before bed and covering the tent in repellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

21mm got here since yesterday afternoon in heavy thundery showers. Another 11mm fell last Saturday plus a couple of mm during the week in showers. Such a contrast on a small island

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today has turned out much better than expected here in Meath at least, managing to avoid all the showers and plenty of sunshine and feeling warm in that sun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭boetstark

You are lucky. It's been absolutely terrible here in mid West. Raining regularly and finding temperatures very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not bad today in Sligo after 12mm of rain last night. 15c and sunny spells.

Rain for month 21mm

IMT for Sligo 12.1c

Wow that's impressive. It is an amazing island weather wise.

Shannon had a wetter May than many other stations but it was still just below average. However June was relatively dry at Shannon - 42mm (average = 69mm) = 60%. Gurteen similar. Mean temps were well down alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

13 degrees in the north east absolutely lashing it down surcace eater all over the road definitely see the effect of global cooling this summer 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Oranmore: a blob on the radar gave 11 mm of rain in about 15 mins 😮

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Beautiful sunny day North Wicklow. The odd sprinkling of rain, some cloud. I'd take a load of these please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

the only place I hear or see of anyone using words like beautiful or glorious in describing any of this summers weather is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

A lovely place. I camped there twice way back in July 2005. First time we camped there with about 15 of us was higher up in a kind of Marsh area, when it got to around sunset the amount of midges was unreal ,swarms. Kind of ruined the experience but we were half pissed by that stage lol. Second time we camped there was later that month just myself and my wife further down and it was OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

MT’s outlook this morning is for Beryl to energise the jet stream.

“FRIDAY and SATURDAY could be mostly sunny with highs closer to 20 C. There is now some doubt about high pressure dominating for very long; models have discovered that Beryl will make a fast run northeast over the next four days and will end up energizing what had been a weak jet stream over the western Atlantic sector. This could scupper projections of dominant high pressure as an energetic jet stream could keep pushing Atlantic disturbances (one of them remnants of Beryl) across the Atlantic during the week following the brief dry spell. However, it's rather uncertain yet and we could be seeing a return to better outlook conditions.”

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Not made with hands

Its not though.

He says "it's rather uncertain"

Its pure speculation.

whatever about next week another spring morning today cool wet ground and that f-ing breeze.

Lest we forget that awful July 2023 (after a splendid June 2023).

We have 1 week done in July 2024 and Athenry has received just 4.7mm of rainfall.

In July 2023, Athenry got a whopping 224mm of rainfall in total. Average is 86mm. So already July has been a massive improvement on last year. Early days but good signs.

• Advertisement

lest we forget it’s July. High summer.as I’ve said many times before the bar is really low if we’re comparing fast July with this July and somehow appropriating that as some sort of excuse for this summer.

Advertisement