Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah you're right, it's far from a problem yet. Lazy me just wants to do less watering and easier digging.

You didn't mention June 2023 for SMDs. I remember the grass being almost yellow after the dry May and sunny/hot June 2023 (warmest on record). The ground was like concrete especially sports pitches. I think we didn't get any decent rain for about 6 weeks.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭gilly1910

Stunning is probably pushing it, yes by our recent standards it was a lovely morning and still is quite nice out there. However I still needed a jacket on the bike this morning which is still unusual for this time of year. By the looks of things we're going to pay for this 'stunning' day tomorrow.

Post edited by gilly1910 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As requested by @MJohnston last week, here's how things stand for the mean wind speed for Casement this summer compared to past ones as of July 7th.

In a rare agreement with perception, the stats show summer 2024 is currently standing as the windiest since 1998 here with a mean wind speed of 9.4 kts. Significantly calmer though than 1998 and a cluster of windy summers in the 80s to early 90s (1985, 1988, 1990, 1991). In contrast 3 years ago, 2021 was the calmest summer since 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

At 6am this morning you could have mistaken it for an late/Early Feb/March morning (without the darkness)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rugbyf565

ah lads it’s finally summer time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Most of the rain that falls in Ireland is outside the growing season because we have a temperate oceanic climate, it’s the opposite in a continental climate where summer downpours are common. Rain is needed in spring and not winter to get the growth going.

That was an extraordinarily heavy dew last night , more like September than mid summer. What was lasts nights min temp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Visiting thurles today and it's beautiful weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭boetstark

Agree completely. I was at Beal beach near ballybunion yesterday for a walk. 12c and drizzle on and off. Limerick is no better. Not a decent day since bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Down to 7c again last night. So many single digit nights this Summer. At least today feels warm. Yesterday was sunny but cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Tipperary, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Rain becoming persistent and heavy at times.

Potential Impacts:

• Localised flooding
    • Difficult travelling conditions
    • Poor visibility

Valid: 04:00 Tuesday 09/07/2024 to 04:00 Wednesday

10/07/2024

Issued: 12:49 Monday 08/07/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gorgeous afternoon again today in Galway City, feeling much warmer in a light easterly breeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm glad today turned out nice for @Robwindstorm I hope you have a great day of celebrations for your wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A lovely sunny morning in Maynooth has turned into an overcast afternoon. Feeling much cooler than the supposed 18C in a fairly strong breeze. Still too cold for t-shirt - I tried, but the hoodie is back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful day in Galway. Lovely big white fluffy clouds too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Greetings from beautiful Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Lovely day. Pleasant in the sun. Who needs sweating your nuts off weather?? This is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Fresh in Kilcoole today despite the sun due to the breeze. This must be as hot as it gets this summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Was a fairly OK day in Trim. Good sunny spells at times and mild but with a cool fresh breeze taking the edge of the temperature. Went for a short walk (30 minutes) at lunchtime and didn't even wear a jacket which makes a change!

Got 3 loads of laundry dried on the washing line though so good news there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Autumn basically in Cork. Shite.

Not surprised at the wind stats above, every day seems to have a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Nice and pleasant in that sun 🌞 its only popped out here in carrick a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Hard to believe tomorrow is going to be like a 5£itf35t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lovely and sunny in Dublin but Jesus just got home off the bike (from the anti car woke protest) and I'm freezing my nuts off. That wind is baltic, hard to believe it can be this chilly well into July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

Clouded over here in Arklow with a few drops of rain already

Gorgeous day otherwise prior

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

@the weather professionals on this forum:

Have we any hope of a decent spell on the medium to long range forecasts within the next 4-6 weeks?

This is horrible, bar today in Dublin of course !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fantastic day in N Kildare with a high of 19.6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Beautiful day today North Dublin City ..actually sitting outside today without a blanket or fleecy !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Beautiful at the Quay in westport.

Beer gardens are full,lots swimming and the Reek keeping an eye looking down on it all.

Shorts and Tshirt evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Didn't feel a bit of it in that breeze! It did clear back up to some lovely sunshine again since 3pm though which was nice.

Advertisement