Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭acequion

About to board for Alicante and just delighted to be getting a break from the muck if only fr a week. Although not as bad a day in Kerry as elsewhere by the sounds of things and at least d last 2 days here were dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a pig of a day here in Meath, glad I made the most of yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm just back from Iceland to the rubbish weather here. It didn't rain there for the last 5 days, cool but perfect for camping and outdoor activities.

This country is like a magnet for low pressure after low pressure, we just can't catch a break.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Last summer was awful, this summer is poor. Hopefully next summer will be better overall because it's not often we get 3 crap summers in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

much nicer in west cork today, some blue sky in between the clouds so the occasional bit of sun, dry and warmer! Cork city reporting wet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

Suns popping out here near Arklow 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

16c in Sligo dry and cloudy. Feels OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A rare day when being in a western coastal extremity is an advantage, so glad to be avoiding the piss misery for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭squarecircles

T ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭kingshankly

12.5 degrees in the north east here persistent rain and a strong wind

This is bad weather for January nevermind mid July 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheStonecutter

2010 was average-to-decent. 2007-2009 was definitely three bad ones on a row though.

Haven't forgotten that but that was rare to get 5 awful summers in a row. Let's hope this isn't going to turn into another 5 year run of poor summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rain seems a bit further North for the timeframe, thought it was evening time rain for the north but I didn’t check it properly in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lashing here in carrick but seems to be brightening up as well ,further west could see some sun this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Delighted @Robwindstorm got a good day for the outdoor wedding - congratulations!

Just back from working outside in Dub/Kildare border area - definitely felt like March or November. Constant light rain since early, but very little in total I'd say, no puddles or anything, and nearly stopped now. The garden will be happy so I don't mind. Cold now that I'm sitting around, but at least that allows for wearing proper rain gear comfortably - definitely preferable to warm sticky rain.

Disappointed to see the next few days have been constantly downgraded on the forecasts.

Today is probably the poorest day of the summer so far here in Meath. Constant drizzle that soaks you, and yep the modeling for the next 7 to 10 days does not look good with an increasing unsettled and Atlantic dominated signal. After that we're close to August which doesn't have a great track record for delivering prolonged spells of warm and sunny weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheStonecutter

1985-1988 was another very bad run. 1996-2002 is probably the longest run in recent years without a “good” summer, but must of those were average rather than outright terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

The moderate rain has stopped, to as now mentioned above a constant drizzly smizzly pi**y stuff that would soak you to the bone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Billcarson

At least with those summers most coincided with better winters for those that like colder winters. We probably won't even get that this Time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Poor day today dull and wet. I find it interesting though to see how low the max temperatures are . Only 14c max here in Ashbourne so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Similar forecast for tomorrow in Dublin. Christ, "summer" really is the worst of all the seasons in Ireland, that's if we even have seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Got 18 holes played today with no rain at all so can't complain. Fully expected wet weather but it doesn't feel far away though.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

We're into our second poor summer in a row here now, no getting away from the fact that this is yet another poor summer. However we do get some decent summers, we've had quite a few since the 2007-2012 run of awful summers. Winters on the other hand are still alot worse in my opinion, every winter is now mild or excessively mild, we can easily bag 10 of them in a row or more. We're getting to the stage now where we're only getting 1 proper winter every 10 to 15 years.

The model watching this summer is very similar to an Irish winter in that we are constantly looking at warm summer weather 10 days away with high pressure only for it to wobble a day later and a verified bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

has the forecast changed again Gonzo? Was really banking on some respite this weekend from this rubbish. It’s been moderate to heavy rain here all day and 14 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

I'd argue that August has a poor track record because in recent years our best 'summer' weather has been in May and June/early July. So by the time August comes round the weather has broken - as let's face it - even in the BEST of summers we don't get endless weeks of good weather. It's a few weeks max. That's always been the case.

I'm a believer that the weather evens out over the medium term. We've had 6 weeks of fairly cool weather with another one or two on the way. And below average sun for months on end. You'd kind of think/hope(!) by the time August comes round the pattern will have changed a bit. So maybe this August might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

South Dublin area here- I was up for the gym at 6am and it had been lashing for a couple of hours at that stage with everything soaked.

I am now about to leave the house to collect the young lad from crèche whilst wearing a rain jacket with a jumper and T-shirt underneath.
    I’ll possibly bring an umbrella if the wind isn’t too bad.

It’s Tuesday 9th July in Ireland and it hasn’t stopped raining here all day.

• Advertisement

The models were starting to look very good for a serious improvement in the weather from mid July up to a few days ago, It was showing a long elongated ridge from the azores across Ireland/Uk and stretching up into Nordic regions, however this all fell apart the day before yesterday and we're now into a fairly unsettled run of weather over the next 1 to 2 weeks. Temperatures may begin to recover slightly to more average temperatures but with lots of low pressures around the warm up won't mean much. There is still some hope that warmer and dryer weather could ridge up from the south during the 3th or final week of July but right now any ridging of high pressure looks very flimsy and short lived.

Advertisement