Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

You'll enjoy the hot weather even moreso Gonzo when you get away. That smell of heat (if there is a such a thing) when you get off your flight will be a thing to shed a tear for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,157 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A miserable day for much of the country. Dublin Airport at 5.30pm reporting a soggy scene with just 800 metres visibility in light drizzle.

EIDW 091630Z 01011KT 0800 R10R/1900D R28L/2000 R10L/2000 -DZ FG SCT001 OVC002 13/13 Q1005 TEMPO BKN001

However parts the north west,west and south west have led a charmed life today

Donegal Airport currently reporting just a few clouds and 16 degrees

EIDL 091630Z 04014KT 9999 FEW034 16/11 Q1010

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Thank you very much. I definitely dodged a bullet with the cold and wet today. Now eyes down for the charts to get the haylage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rain the last 3 hours or so. Muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

You'd have dodged two bullets if you didn't turn up

Only kidding, congrats

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Doing well near Tralee this evening, cloud breaking up with sunshine and blue skies. Overall not a bad day, cloudy but feeling quite mild. Small bit of mist on and off today.Top temp 17.6C and currently 17.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think I just need to book a holiday at this stage, probably for early September at least Europe is still warm then , this weather is definitely effecting my depression, sorry I don't mean to be a moan

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

I would love to have a better insight how the models keep acting they way they do! Ie forecast high pressure 7 to 14 days in-advance any yet they completely flip 5 to 7 days out. Surely the models should at this stage be tailored to take into account that the jet and Atlantic regime are likely to dominate. The flip-flopping of models are not ensuring confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Shockin day.

Sky on the ground .

Back in Meath after commute

R a I n

Flew back from Lanzaorote this day last week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well think of it like this. All weather systems around the globe are like a team working together. Low pressure systems help inflate ridges of high pressure elsewhere via processes like warm air advection. Positioning and jet stream behaviour are key to driving or forcing changes in these on a local scale. So if you get changes in one system, you are likely to effect the rest of the weather systems. One person makes a change in the project that wasn't agreed or conciliated with a team, the whole project goes into shatters. The project is the models. The models are projections based upon the data available at one time from weather stations worldwide that go into them and complex equations. One change in said data makes all the difference.

If we have a situation whereby Ireland is projected to have high pressure build from the Azores, a couple of events need to occur for this to typically happen but can vary from situation to situation. Let's just for the sake of it give one example. So we have a deep area of low pressure coming from Newfoundland, Canada. This low gets caught in the North Atlantic jet stream and starts to funnelling towards Ireland. However, at the same time, the low pressure is drawing up a lot of warm air which may or may not help inflate high pressure as the air descends. The jet stream may go far north enough to allow this high to build into Ireland or the jet may just be too strong and overpowers the chance of high pressure. Given the geography and physics, we are more likely to see the latter but on occasion the former can happen and July 2024 may have been one of them provided other forces would co-operate. That's the same with any weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rugbyf565

imagine living in a country where you didn’t have to feel guilty during a nice day of weather or remorseful during a bad day of weather. Imagine a month of constant sunshine where it was just so expected that there was never any useless reference to it in small talk with other people or passer-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah congrats Robwindstorm,you got a lovely day to celebrate! Imagine if it was booked for today😱

I got married in August and surprise surprise it rained in the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've given in for the 2nd time this week and put the heating on. I was in the supermarket earlier and so many people are utterly fed up of this summer between the cold, the wind and now the rain.

Tomorrow looks a repeat of today but it may brighten up more towards the second half of the day.

Honestly, I don't like to vent so much negatively because it's not nice to read but 2024 truly is a shocker of a year. 7 months in and none of them have been memorably good in my opinion - January was ok and to some extent June also but often too cool whilst May I personally enjoyed but it was very poor in the sunshine department. There's even very few individual days that I can say I will remember positively for years to come - one of these is of course the aurora on May 10th which was also a lovely warm and sunny day and the snow event on March 1st.

It's making a good achievement in being my least favourite weather year I've experienced. I've read posts from old threads talking about how bad 2011 was with the mostly mild winters and cool summer with also a wet, very mild and cloudy autumn. At least that had a wonderful spring. 2024 most certainly didn't.

I don't see this changing as autumn will be autumn, a lovely pleasant autumn from start to finish is rare then a seasonable December to go along with it. I'll have a better chance at the EuroMillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Thought it was clearing up early afternoon here in Lucan, but it got bad again, and we've no let up in the rain. I can't remember when we last had a fully wet day with no dry daylight hours. So I suppose I can't complain really, but it's amazing how quickly you get fed up of it!

I'd rreally ike a dry, sunny, not windy spell before September. Heat not required! I fear our cool dry windy May-June may be evened out with a warm wet spell though, which is my least favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The last time we had period of really good weather what seemed for weeks was summer 2018 for me.

So many glorious days.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dan575283578

Raining pretty much non-stop for the last 26 hours in wexford. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Today's high temperature at Dublin Airport seems to be 13.7C. If this is correct, then that makes it the coldest July day there since July 8th 2020, which also had a max of 13.7C. This is very apt as today felt like a day straight out of the July 2020 book, terrible but not quite as appalling as some of the worst days last July. Casement maxed out at 13.5C today, again, the coldest since July 8th 2020, which had a max of 13.3C.

Tomorrow also looks very cool here, about 14/15C, perhaps 16C. The GFS has a max of only 12C in Dublin tomorrow but has no support from other models.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When even sryan complaining you know we're in trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

Greenhouse lowest in 30 years in Ireland ?

What were the measuring tools in 1994 vs now? And how do they know how often in 2024 that I start that really smokey massey of mine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

and when the Covid summer of 2020 is being called out rightfully for being as bad as this you also know you are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Surprised at the 13.7c in Dublin Airport today. I think the fact that there was not much wind, it didnt feel as cold.

It did feel like a mild November day all be it with more day light (not necessary brighter).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The only memorable weather we have had since September 2022, was the cold spell in December 2022 and that nice spell mid May- mid June 2023. Perhaps an honourable mention for that week of warmth last sep, though bit too warm and especially humid for my liking personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

a stunning day in South Kerry, we were blessed! I spent the day hiking the Kerry Way near Sneem and Parknisilla, mostly blue skies, very warm, no wind. I got a swim in Whitestrand near O Carrolls Cove about 5pm and it was warm and balmy. I am home now near Farranfore and looking at a golden sunset over the Dingle peninsula.

I have friends and family in Dublin and Limerick and they were washed out of it today so I know how lucky we were . Looking good for the rest of the week. Everywhere !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,157 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fab evening here just outside Castlebar. Nice sunshine to end the day and nice to dodge the rain for once

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Seriously thinking about begging, borrowing and stealing to get a last minute week away in August. We were in Lanzarote for 10 days in April, if feels like a lifetime ago. Just a bit of heat would be lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Nice end, to a nice day.

The September 2023 spell was one of my favourite times in weather. I can certainly understand it being too much for some, it was notably humid compared to other heatwaves we've had and I've noted this using Casement's average dew points. There was lots for me to like. If I didn't have as much free time as I did then probably not being able to get up at the crack of dawn to see the veils of mist dancing across the local parks to see the graceful presence of that ball of fire showing itself over the horizon and not letting go until the end of the day to be repeated again the next morning.

But my view of 2023 as a year is very biased and distorted because for me it was unusually good for personal reasons which may be making 2024 seem even worse in comparison. Then again… it has been disgraceful for anyone who remotely likes the idea of seasons. Those two single days or moments I mentioned are the only thing saving it from me throwing the year permanently into the dumpster fire but let's wait out the next 5 months before doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Crazy coloured sky tonight, not sure what it means for tomorrow!

Not filtered or doctored in any way. It really did look this pink.

Advertisement