Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Saw that…be bizarre if the Autumn turns out to be warmer than the Summer but could easily happen at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

For me it's the loss of the usually fairly reliable late-spring warm spell that makes this summer especially miserable. Feels like we've had nothing this year really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Winter could turn out to be warmer at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Went to Emerald Park with the kids yesterday. It rained until 230pm. We were there at 10 and it was cold. The day wouldnt have been out of place in March. Plus side the park was quiet and very short queues. Summer in Ireland.

Off to Portugal at the beginning of August so at least will get some sunshine and warmth before winter officially starts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I bought a kids steel frame pool over last winter and it's still in the box.

I also bought a pergola bracket/base kit to build a pergola, also still in the box.

At this stage they can stay there till next summer 🤷🏻‍♂️😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Bought my kids a new paddling pool in May 2023. Still in the box in the press in the utility. Will be staying there now until Summer 2025!!!

I know we joke and use some over the top analogies etc to describe the current weather, but i have noticed people generally look pi**ed off lately. You know when the sun is out, there is a nice humm, energy, call it what you like.

There is a lot to be said the benefits Sunshine has both on mental & physical health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Raining again now heavier even though the sun is trying to come out. Feels a little muggy.

I feel used to the rain now…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Next 4 days will see an improvement and possibly the warmest weather for this July with temperatures reaching 15 to possibly 20C. Turns cooler again next week with temperatures back into the low to mid teens and more unsettled so make the most of the next few days, this is as good as it gets. Just taking a look at the GFS 6z and the rest of July looks like thrash and totally Atlantic dominated.

I'm getting very close to waving the white flag of surrender for this summer. I have to say all the models are performing brutal this summer when it comes to high pressure and a warm up from the south. The mid July warm up which appeared on all models for several days was a complete and utter bust. It's now up to August to save what is left of this summer.

Beggars can't be choosers. I'll take it. The sun is actually out

The bushes and hedges need trimming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yep make the most of the next 3 to 4 days with little in the way of rain and dryer conditions. I'll be finally able to cut my grass maybe later today or tomorrow, however the grass is still on the wet side, I'll probably leave it till tomorrow grass should be dryer then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not a bad day in Tralee, cool enough breeze but bright and sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I know these questions aren't the most popular but anyway. I plan on taking the kids to emerald Park this Sat. Met Eireann is showing as not too bad, but i find some of the regular posters here more accurate.

So any advise is most welcome , thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Needmoretea

A fiery ball appeared in the sky in between clouds this morning just after 10 in Dublin. It seemed to radiate heat and light. It's moving south west but is peeping out from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

In the West once you get to August its no longer "Summer" . About 20 of the last 24 August's have been poor.

We have 2 or 3 weeks left of strong sun then it's like Indian Summer if we get anything. If its still like this in August nights will be 3c and not 7c as they are now.

In Summary(not Summery) here are the stats for Sligo. July even colder than June so far. 2.4c BELOW average. Rain near average. wind slightly above. Sun slightly below. Out of 41 days so far 2 have been much warmer than average 2 slightly warmer 3 on average and 34 COLDER than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 goingmadted

Shocking summer .

That north wind won't fck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep - since the middle of May the lack of warm air masses anywhere near Ireland has been notable. Instead a constant feed from the region between Greenland and Iceland. Never known anything like it for the time of year, made all the more galling given the near wall to wall heat over nearly every other region at out latitude since the start of June:(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gilly1910

I didn't see that, normally I would religously check MT Cranium, but I've been so depressed with what he's been predicting of late, that I gave up. Honestly the thought of no Summer whatsoever is truly depressing, Winters in this country while relatively mild tend to last for about eight months since we don't get defined seasons. Honestly the way things are going in this country, soon our climate will be similar to that of the Faroe Islands. https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/faroe-islands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well I'm sure if they interviewed someone from Wet Eireann they'd say "while it is highly unusual to see the cold period we have experienced it is not unprecedented. And winds eventually have to move in another direction" so surely there will be more South winds in August September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cot-mad

I’m the very same. Bought one on sale at the end of summer 2022 to use the following summer 2023. Never got opened last year. Unlikely it’ll be opened this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shan Doras

So what past summer(s) would you compare this summer to? 2011 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The jet stream forecast right out to +384 hours has it stubbornly sticking to our south or right over us. As long as that continues we're going to be blocked from any heat ridging up from the South and be tapping into the cold air from the north. It truly has been an abysmal summer; even though I don't really care about the temperatures it's the lack of sunshine and cool winds that have become very annoying now. I have no holiday booked abroad yet but at this point I think I'm going to need a trip to the sun for my sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Big black clouds threatening rain here in Celbridge. Hopefully it holds off. Very breezy.

I am also strongly considering booking a holiday to get some sunshine, though I really can't afford it. I really dislike heat, and my usual holiday destinations are Scotland and the Isle of Man - so that gives you an idea of how dreary things feel here this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kutebride

LIttle moments of blue between the clouds this afternoon after two and half days of the sky on the ground. Good drying so the washing machine was on. Like Gonzo might wait until tomorrow to mow the lawn.

Saw photos of a local GAA match yesterday evening. Spectator folk wearing two layers fleece and coats, even wolly hats back out on a few.

17⁰ cool. Meath

You can bet everything that there won't be a sniff of northerly winds during winter 2024/2025, the long fetch south-westerlies should kick in just in time for winter.

Quite a few are comparing this summer to summer 1978, a summer of which I have no memories of since I was a very young child back then.

Managed to get the grass cut just now. The wind is annoying but it was good at drying out the grass after 2 solid days of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Advertisement

I wasn’t born for a couple of years after that! God bless peoples memories going back that far, although I can remember as far back as 2006 I think it was where we had a scorching summer month. Or was it 2005. One or the other anyway

Advertisement